I thought this would be worth sharing. For the suspension of an RC model I'm working on (yes, I will keep my promise @DugaldIC), I want to have a telescopic transmission shaft that can take quite some vertical travel while spanning a constant distance of 6L, the length of a non-telescopic arrangement with two u-joint. I know about Sheepo's design, but that one can only take little vertical travel before the slider axles collide with the u-joints. So I've been playing with this a little and found an arrangement that works very well. It can take quite some torque actually, even though I'm not planning to use it for transferring motorized drive. This will only connect the wheels to a fake engine.

Edited by Didumos69

Very interesting solution! If you don't mind me asking what do you plan on using it for? Also I've kept my word as well, I'm in the process of a building a full HOG model. I'll be sharing it once I'm done. 

1 hour ago, DugaldIC said:

Very interesting solution! If you don't mind me asking what do you plan on using it for? Also I've kept my word as well, I'm in the process of a building a full HOG model. I'll be sharing it once I'm done. 

Thanks! Glad to hear you're still working on it. I'm thinking of using this to connect the wheels to a fake engine. Motorized drive will be routed separately. Not a WIP-topic this time. If I can keep my mouth shot I will present what I'm working on after I'm done. Building will probably take all winter.

Edited by Didumos69

32 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks! Glad to hear you're still working on it. I'm thinking of using this to connect the wheels to a fake engine. Motorized drive will be routed separately. Not a WIP-topic this time. If I can keep my mouth shot I will present what I'm working on after I'm done. Building will probably take all winter.

so, will it be able to run manually too?

35 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

so, will it be able to run manually too?

Maybe a non-motorized version, but Im not sure yet. Main goal is to have an RC version.

Just now, Didumos69 said:

Maybe a non-motorized version, but Im not sure yet. Main goal is to have an RC version.

I meant you could allow it to disconnect the RC components.

17 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I meant you could allow it to disconnect the RC components.

I don't intend to but who knows...

2 minutes ago, Charbel said:

I think that Sheepo had actually made something very similar 6 years ago:

That was the one I was referring to in the OP. The problem with Sheepo's version is that it allows only very little disalignment of the input and output axles. That's what I wanted to solve.