Work In Progress

Ever since I bought the Sail Barge (75020) in 2013, I fell in love with the ship. It quickly became my favorite set. Sadly, recently, I've been taking apart most of my non-UCS sets to make room for the bigger models and to have more pieces to MOC with. I had refrained from wrecking the Barge and the MTT from 2007 because they were my two favorite sets. Eventually, when I got into making car MOCs (Chevrolet Bel Air and Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II), I took both sets apart to make a brown Plymouth Special Deluxe but, after seeing I didn't have enough brown bricks to go through with the project, all the pieces just laid there.

Now, while waiting for the UCS Millenium Falcon to come back in stock, I've been having the minifigure-scale fever. I've built a couple of rebel ships (X-Wing (MOD), Y-Wing (WIP), A-Wing (Bought the latest one)) and now, after seeing all he brown pieces I had in stock and all the cool minifigures I wanted to use for some iconic scene, I've tackled Jabba's Sail Barge - The Khetanna.

5getnNC.jpg

Here it is with my Desert Skiff and the brand new parts that have just arrived:

x4o2AVE.jpg

There's a full interior for the barge. Kitchen, droid torture room, "lobby", driver's cabin and, of course, the party room at the back. I'll post pics of the interior as well as more of the outside once I make some progress with the new parts.

Thank you all for the comments!

24 minutes ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Fantastic start, this is pretty huge!

Yup, and heavy. It's 76cm long and about 20cm - 24cm high, without the masts, making it a tiny bit longer than it should be for minifigure scale.

Progress!

kL2oG8s.jpg

After polishing the sides, the nose is the big focus for now. Rear of the ship will be left for last as it's the most incomplete part.

And, while one side of the nose is still uncovered, here's an idea of what the droid torture room and the cabin should look like:

iAGBbcE.jpg

Sorry for the flash, getting light in there is really tough with the top of the barge still on. There's still a bit of polishing to do in these two rooms (especially the cabin). I'll snap better pics of the inside after I rearrange it to display the proper scenes.

Edited by Terrasher

These textured faces on the sides made it look incredibly cool! Well done and good luck finishing this. There isn't many sail barge mocs around - great that you decided to tackle this one.

8 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

These textured faces on the sides made it look incredibly cool! Well done and good luck finishing this. There isn't many sail barge mocs around - great that you decided to tackle this one.

Thanks. I really wanted the shield pattern to stand out to make the sides more accurate and interesting. Having a few Sail Barge MOCs on the web already was pretty useful, since it served for inspiration. It also allowed me to compare them to the real thing and see what parts of the barge were more or less accurate than others and why, and try to make mine as close to the real thing as possible.

^ Are there many decent Sail Barge MOCs? My point was rather that this vessel is rather seldomly selected as a MOCing object :D As for myself I doubt I have seen more than 2 nice Sail Barge MOCs, except maybe for some mini scale ones.

4 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

^ Are there many decent Sail Barge MOCs? My point was rather that this vessel is rather seldomly selected as a MOCing object :D As for myself I doubt I have seen more than 2 nice Sail Barge MOCs, except maybe for some mini scale ones.

If I remember correctly, there are, indeed, only 2 MOCs I looked at often. One by Baronsat and one by another member of Eurobricks whose name I don't remember right now but who made a whole Pit of Carkoon diorama. Both of their Barges are outstanding, and are pretty much the only similarly-scaled MOCs. 

Baronsat's and the Pit of Carkoon's Barges have been great inspiration because the two are very different. This allowed me to see the different ways to build the barge (especially the nose). I find Baronsat's nose, though easy to remove from the ship, too triangular, while the Pit of Carkoon's I think is too tall and steep. Looking at these two MOCs let me find something in between smooth/modular (Baronsat's) and textured/rounder shape (Carkoon's).

What I find great about the Khetanna as a MOC project is that, so far, every version on the internet is quite different. Its odd shape has allowed builders to find many different ways to recreate the Barge. It's one of the most iconic and least MOCed ships.

More or less finished one side of the nose and the back, still need to do the railings properly:

W1L5zIz.jpg

jRXgM8q.jpg

And some rough pics of the interior:

InhWuQp.jpg

oeuktcX.jpg

I'd be surprised to make some considerable process anytime soon, as my supply of bricks is running short. Comments and especially recommendations are welcome.

Great progress, I like the touch with Jar Jar in handcuffs!

Edited by Ellisss_2

Any updates on this one? There's been a good number of new elements with wedge tiles, curves, and slopes since the last post in this thread, so there's a lot that could be implemented and I'm curious on any progress that's been made.

Thirded - I bought 9496 a couple years back (it's now sitting dismantled in a bin of LEGO :[ ) and really like the design of this one!

"Jabba, this is your last chance! Free us, or die."

Edited by Yoshifan33

Im surprised more people haven't made MOCs of the sail barge. It is a very hard look to properly pull off, and this MOC captures it perfectly. I would like to see a MOC of it on a much larger scale though, how huge would a mining scale barge be?