Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR - FB1] - Nov '17 - Fluttering Petal

ngkIfGO.jpg

The Fluttering Petal is a yawl rigged junk, originally sailing out of the island nations to the south.

KoYjnPU.jpg

Like all Towakan ships, it carries a carved figurehead of a kami, or spirit, chosen to act as a guardian for the vessel.  In this case a golden carp is affixed on the prow, which represents one of the servants of the sea dragon god Ryujin in the Shinto religion.

FXi5gEV.jpg

This junk was first used as a short haul rice trader, but was pressed into service by a wokou pirate clan upon being found de-masted after a violent storm.

4CNij8J.jpg

Unfortunately the pirate fleet had themselves fallen on hard times, and sailed north to find better hunting grounds in the Prio Seas.

r6j2EUd.jpg

In October 617, the Fluttering Petal was part of an ill-fated attack on an armed trade convoy out of Charlatan Bay.  It was captured during action in the environs of Corrington's Northern Reaches.

QznLgC9.jpg

After the smoke had cleared, the surviving crew was questioned and in a surprising act of clemency given the choice of swearing service to the convoy's leader.  Once in port, a thorough inspection showed the junk's damaged hull unsuitable for the cannon weight it carried, and a number of the 9lb'ers were sold off.  The subsequent space was redesigned to carry cargo securely and its new career as an armed trader was born.

Sadly, the ship was sunk in June 623, having been mis-identified as a pirate by a Corrington misanthrope captain.

---x---x---x---x---

This ship represents the class 3 captured during October's TMRCA by the trade fleet that arrived in Elizabethville.  I'll be licensing it (ed. note: for free.  Yay!) once I get my trade company's application ruled on.

For the record, Towakan was one of the three Asian inspired countries that @SkaForHire had in mind for the game, which I found out about from @MKJoshA.  It was the in-game counterpart for ancient Japan, where Bai Pei represented China and Kaetem (sic) represented Singapore.  Every other detail I inserted is purely from wikipedia surfing.

For comparison purposes:

ITFyyIx.jpg

It is about 8 studs less in length and considerably narrower & shorter than the Destiny's Bounty, but uses a lot of the same building techniques to get that hull shape.  And it actually looks a lot more realistic without the figurehead, but I wanted splash of colour to set the build off.

Edited by Kwatchi

Very nice ship! I can't wait to see more ships of this style as we venture further to the south.

Nice job Kwatchi! I really like this ship junk. Cute figurehead.:laugh: 

You've captured well the shape particular to oriental ships. A minor detail, Chineses or Japaneses used tiller on their junk, not a big deal in Bobs though., you can always pretend it has been modded by local craftmen.

Edited by Bodi