Steamdemon

(DigiMOC) A small 0-6-0 Diesel shunter

I made a small Diesel Shunter in LDD, and it looks good!

Complete+Diesel+shunter.png

Front view

Complete+Diesel+shunter3png.png

Back view

Complete+Diesel+shunter2.png

Side View

Complete+Diesel+shunter4png.png

Cab view. Now why don't Lego do sets like this?

Well, although it looks pretty nice:

- what about playability
- what about powering this locomotive (how do you fit all the PF parts?)
- the 'gray' era (7760?) is not coming back most of us think

LEGO is a toy company, so they make toys, not a model railroad company (although in train tech we would like to see more focus on trains of course)

Well, It was designed as a power functionless locomotive. I wouldn't be able to fit a motor or the wiring into the locomotive.

36 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

Well, It was designed as a power functionless locomotive. I wouldn't be able to fit a motor or the wiring into the locomotive.

I understand, but that answers your question doesn't it ;)

On 11/5/2017 at 5:39 AM, Steamdemon said:

Don't you see the background? It's clearly meant to fly!

2 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Don't you see the background? It's clearly meant to fly!

Heh, flying locomotive. I noticed that I missed a stud whilst repainting the back end. Whoops!

Edited by Steamdemon

Update time! I've added some more details to my Diesel Shunter project, and she's looking good!

4887585-Complete_Diesel_shunter_v77-inaidmuA18Oucw-thumbnail-full.png

Noticeable features here are the addition of warning stripes and an engine access door, Also, the nameplate is longer! 

4887589-Complete_Diesel_shunter_v76-wzUsugjPgqaRLg-thumbnail-full.png

And yes, I kept it symmetrical.

I'm gathering support, so any support button clicks are welcome!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/30877b62-576f-43d5-ba9e-dea4a35b3ef6

I built a prototype of Alstad in lego.

prototype2.jpg

prototype3.jpg

prototype.jpg

Dang, I usually succeed in getting a good photo. But yeah, Got some more green parts in my lego shop basket, I had to dismantle my 0-6-2T to get the wheels. That thing could only handle gentle curves. Also, had to dismantle the Riddle Racer and the Propeller Plane for the parts.

Yeah, dismantling things to build other things... a feeling I know very well from having a limited collection. Still big by many peoples standards... but anyway.

She's looking good in real bricks. What were you inspired by for this shunter? Reminds me somewhat of a British Railways 03 or 04, just with larger wheels.
I think next you should try to design/build a couple of short wagons for it to shunt; it would make for a nice short train.

9 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Yeah, dismantling things to build other things... a feeling I know very well from having a limited collection. Still big by many peoples standards... but anyway.

She's looking good in real bricks. What were you inspired by for this shunter? Reminds me somewhat of a British Railways 03 or 04, just with larger wheels.
I think next you should try to design/build a couple of short wagons for it to shunt; it would make for a nice short train.

You mean something like this?

4898088-Alstad_and_boxcars7-SeKlX6MQOfpmaQ-thumbnail-full.png

4898091-Alstad_and_boxcars6-B5l_1M_D90c4Tg-thumbnail-full.png

4898096-Alstad_and_boxcars5-hY36CN5x2ZIRrA-thumbnail-full.png

4898100-Alstad_and_boxcars4-T8PO7K7sleD1xQ-thumbnail-full.png

4898104-Alstad_and_boxcars3--jAfEKF-VPBGTQ-thumbnail-full.png

4898108-Alstad_and_boxcars2-YZR9HpfAsX4AyA-thumbnail-full.png

Alstad is based on several shunters. It's got a bit of the BR Class 05:

Image result for BR class 05

Photo by 37190 "Dalzell"

It also has a bit of spain in it. like the RENFE 303.

Nice van wagons! I don't think they would have headlights on them normally though, and you won't find those wheelframes or bufferbeams in any colour other than black.

Apart from that they're pretty good, and go with the shunter nicely.

1 minute ago, ColletArrow said:

Nice van wagons! I don't think they would have headlights on them normally though, and you won't find those wheelframes or bufferbeams in any colour other than black.

Apart from that they're pretty good, and go with the shunter nicely.

Yep, I had those in the works along with one of the other 6 iterations of Alstad.

Alstad is looking good, she's just got a few details here and there that I need to put into the cab. either way, she's looking really pretty. With Glowing white Strobes!

DSC_9276.JPG

DSC_9275.JPG

I also moved the horns to a better place.

Nice shunter

Large enough IMHO to put in PF Components if you compromise a bit in for the driver. Why don't you give it a try?

So, put the battery box in the engine compartment, driving wheels geared and a motor placed near the wheel base? Not forgetting the IR sensor? I'll try, but I'll need the parts for it first. I have two motors in my inventory, but the battery box is too big to fit in the engine compartment. If can just motorize it, I won't need that many components.

1 hour ago, Steamdemon said:

So, put the battery box in the engine compartment, driving wheels geared and a motor placed near the wheel base? Not forgetting the IR sensor? I'll try, but I'll need the parts for it first. I have two motors in my inventory, but the battery box is too big to fit in the engine compartment. If can just motorize it, I won't need that many components.

Since you have large wheels, an M motor would fit near the wheel base, or it could also stand. Battery on top of that/ in front of that under the hood, either the regular boxy PF battery/rechargable one, or an old 9V battery Box using the conversion cable, and then finally the PF receiver in the back where the driver now stands.