Sven J

MOC: 1:22.5 Bulgarian 2-10-2T narrow gauge steam engine (class 600.76)

Thank you very much, RogerSmith, RemcoRohaan, _Oceanblue_, Duq and harnbak! :classic:

The magnetic switches are from Brickstuff, too. They are factory-mounted inside a Technic half-pin and respond to magnetic fields: When a tiny magnet is put onto the switch, the circuit is closed; with the magnet removed, it’s open. I fitted these magnets into the open studs of „flower“ plates, so I can clip them onto an „empty“ half pin when the corresponding light shall be switched off:
600x400.jpg
(From left to right: front headlights - rear headlights - cab/running gear lights, upper position: lights on, lower position: off)

Wow! Again an amazing model!

I do too wonder about the workings of the magnetic contacts ( Ah, saw the answer just now, thanks), clever to "hide" them inside the turning wheels or nozzles or what they are called

Can't wait to see it running om your track. I would also love to see the transmission from the 3 motors to the wheels

I also have to comment on your presentation. Superb photos, both the model itself and the comparison pictures with the original. Just mind blowing and adding to the wonderful experience.

Congratulations on being front paged, Well deserved!

Edited by baard

Truly....an outstanding build.  The details...are perfect.  I know several of my non AFOL train friends would love to have their hands on this!  You should submit it to LEGO Ideas.  Maybe they could come up with a line of UCS Train sets.  Congratulations on the build and keep them coming :-)

:sweet:

Edited by legobanker
spelling

5 hours ago, baard said:

Wow! Again an amazing model! [...]
Can't wait to see it running om your track. I would also love to see the transmission from the 3 motors to the wheels
I also have to comment on your presentation. Superb photos, both the model itself and the comparison pictures with the original. Just mind blowing and adding to the wonderful experience.

Congratulations on being front paged, Well deserved!

You’re too kind, baard – thank you for your feedback! I’m happy to hear that not only you like the model itself, but also enjoy my photographic efforts. :classic:
I hope I’ll find the time to make a video next weekend.
Regarding the transmission, I’m sure you’ll understand that I don’t want to dismantle the model. But perhaps a render might provide some insight? Actually, the drivetrain’s principle is very straightforward and simple:

640x642.jpg

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Magnetic switches ...this is not possible! *huh*:wub:

Well, they are in fact a bit unconvenient to handle as I had to place them so close to one another – the best method is to use tweezers. I chose them because they are less spacious than usual toggle switches, which would have prevented the toolbox doors from being closed.

52 minutes ago, legobanker said:

Truly....an outstanding build.  The details...are perfect.  I know several of my non AFOL train friends would love to have their hands on this!  You should submit it to LEGO Ideas.  Maybe they could come up with a line of UCS Train sets.  Congratulations on the build and keep them coming :-)

:sweet:

Thank you very much, legobanker!
Don't quite know what the term "UCS Train" stands for, though. Please explain it to a dummy like me... :wink:
As for LEGO Ideas, it's very kind of you to assume that my model would have any chances. However, I'm quite sure they would reject it due to all the third-party elements.

Edited by Tenderlok
typo

I'd like to join the choir of congratulations :-) Great job. I need to study light solution from Brickstuff more. It makes your model to look even more realistic. 

Thank you too, igordost and Man with a hat! :classic:

Update for all of you who are waiting for a video of the locomotive on track: During some test runs this morning, technical problems occured. Probably due to an excess of lubricant, a gear wheel shifted on its axle and caused the engine to stop. Of course, this will easily be solved by installing additional washers to fix the gear wheel. But it means that I will need a few more days, for I have to disassemble the rods, parts of the valve gear and the drive axle, and can only shoot videos on weekends. Sorry for that. :sad:

Edited by Tenderlok

Wow!!!! That's a AMAZING model! I myself collect train models in H0 scale (not Lego), but I never tried to build a model of an actuall train. Your Locomotive looks so realistic and I don't think any Lego designer could make a better model than yours. It;s trurely a masterpice!

So amazing MOC!!! . Great :grin:

Last week, I have converted your ldd file to the mlcad files in order to study your MOC:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x402.jpg800x450.jpg

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Phred, ddavid and jesuskyr!

@jesuskyr Awesome work! You even incorporated (most of... :wink:) the alterations to the real model, compared with the LDD file. How on earth did you model the custom-made rods? *huh*
Would you mind sending me a PM with the MLCad files and those magnificent renders?

P.S. The transmission has been repaired, video is in the making. Coming soon here on EB - stay tuned! :wink:

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Phred, ddavid and jesuskyr!

@jesuskyr Awesome work! You even incorporated (most of... :wink:) the alterations to the real model, compared with the LDD file. How on earth did you model the custom-made rods? *huh*
Would you mind sending me a PM with the MLCad files and those magnificent renders?

P.S. The transmission has been repaired, video is in the making. Coming soon here on EB - stay tuned! :wink:

Thanks for your interest. You can find my mpd file at here(3rd party ldraw parts included. BBB, zephyr1934, and BuWizz provide the ldraw files for their custom parts). Maybe you need to add some unofficial parts from http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

Edited by jesuskyr

Hi @jesuskyr,

Thanks for your prompt reply! Didn't know that files for custom parts are so readily available.

One more question: May I add your .mpd to my Bricksafe folder, as a service for those who don't use LDD? Of course, I'd credit you for creating the file.

Best regards,
Sven

48 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi @jesuskyr,

One more question: May I add your .mpd to my Bricksafe folder, as a service for those who don't use LDD? Of course, I'd credit you for creating the file.

Best regards,
Sven

No problem!! you can freely upload .mpd file to your Bricksafe folder^^

Best, Kee-Youn

On 11/19/2017 at 8:48 AM, jesuskyr said:

Thanks for your interest. You can find my mpd file at here(3rd party ldraw parts included. BBB, zephyr1934, and BuWizz provide the ldraw files for their custom parts). Maybe you need to add some unofficial parts from http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

Yes, you can find the LDraw files for my rods and bars here ( @jesuskyr the renders are incredible BTW)

Amazing work, so many details, truly a work of art, watched the perfect valve gear video 3 times, so relaxing...
Congratulations! And again... amazing!!

Hi all,

Finally, I managed to upload the long-promised video of my 606.76 on track!

I hope you'll understand the reason for the delay:
With its very long wheelbase and lacking any spring-suspended axles, the locomotive demands very smooth track. Besides, it's quite prone to tipping over due to its narrow gauge and large body. Of course I knew that from the beginning of the design phase, but unfortunately I was imprudent enough not to check my layout before doing a full-speed run. So the engine spectacularly derailed on a loose part of track and had to be largely rebuilt, which took quite a time... :sad:
My next model, which is already in the works, will have a much lower COG to prevent accidents like this...

You can see the engine's wheels slipping a bit when starting the train. Everywhere else on my layout, the locomotive pulls away the 7-wagon train with ease; but just at this one position, there's an ever so slight pit in the floor (didn't realize it before making the video - hard luck, grrr...). This means that a large portion of the engine's weight rests on the carrying axles, not on the drivers, thus reducing traction.
The highest attainable speed with this quite heavy train (in BuWizz "fast" mode) is just over 0.6 m/s, which is equivalent to approx. 50 km/h in 1:1. The class 600.76 engines were allowed to run at 45 km/h, so I dare say that the model speed is really true-to-scale.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Sven

Really amazing, as all your works indeed!  Could you explain as you have implemented those couplers into Lego?

with my best compliments

Sergio

p.s.:  from what railway region will come your next model?  I'm too curious..

Thank you very much for your kind words, Paperinik77pk, Feuer Zug, Man with a hat and monai!

8 hours ago, monai said:

Could you explain as you have implemented those couplers into Lego?

I use flex cables which are attached to the leading and trailing trucks as coupling bars (the central buffer is only a fake). The old, black, rounded flex cable ends fit into the LGB link-and-pin coupler:

640x388.jpg

In the future, I'm intending to replace them with black valve gear bars from zephyr1934. The flex cables fit into the couplers very tight, which sometimes causes problems when negotiating curves; zephyr's bars are thinner and should work better.

8 hours ago, monai said:

p.s.:  from what railway region will come your next model?  I'm too curious..

Nothing spectacular about the prototype this time just a humble 0-8-0T. I need an uncomplicated workhorse for my narrow gauge trains (putting the 606.76 on track, with its 7 axles, is already a task in itself...), so I chose locomotive no. 1 of the "Flensburger Kreisbahn", a former metre gauge railway in Northern Germany. Why this engine? Well, just because it once ran through my favourite holiday region. But don't be too disappointed, the model will have special features (albeit no opening doors, ahem)... :wink:

Teaser:

Spoiler

800x215.jpg

Edited by Tenderlok
typo