Sign in to follow this  
Brainbox

Review: 4837 & 4838

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi guys. I picked these up the other day, but it's taken me this long to get round to posting the reviews. So, here we go:

img_3856a.jpg

Tub comparison with a minfig (thanks Brainbox):

img_3859a.jpg

The lighting changes a bit throughout the photographs, as it was going dark outside, so I only really had my desk light, and I kept getting in the way.

4837 Mini Trains

img_3920a.jpg

Now the box I really like. It's no different to those of last year's sets, but the colour here is simply fantastic, and really seems appropriate for the theme.

img_3922a.jpg

So this is what you get inside. All the pieces are still inside the bag, the optical illusion was accidental :-D .

img_3924a.jpg

No pieces of particular outstanding interest, but the dark green cheese slopes are rather nice. Look out for those later.

img_3943a.jpg

img_3951a.jpg

1 2 3

This is the main model, and uses all the pieces in the set (bar these two, which according to the inventory are spares, but as with all my other Creator sets, I'm cheating and leaving them in). This is far and away the best model of the three, and evokes the iconic version of a steam train. The green looks superb, but I'm not sure whether that's due to the model itself or the actual colour.

Moving on, we get to the second model:

img_3957a.jpg

img_3955a.jpg

1 Leftovers (yes, I admit, I was using a piece of paper)

This isn't actually a bad model. I don't think it's quite as nice as the previous one, but it's not bad. It's different from the first model as well, which is good. Too muich of the same can be a bad thing.

Finally, we come to the third model:

img_3963a.jpg

img_3966a.jpg

Leftovers

Now... I'll be honest. I don't really know what this is. It's not that good a model compared to the other two. That's all I can say, really.

And of course, all the pieces fit into the tub.

Overall: I have to say, I do like this set, despite the weak third model. The strength of the primary and secondary models make up for any weaknesses in the third, and I can imagine the pieces being fully usuable in building other trains. While the basic idea of these tubs isn't quite as good as the X-Pods with regards portability and general 'niceness' they aren't bad. And for a fairly cheap price (�3-4) as well.

4838 Mini Vehicles

img_3861a.jpg

This is one of those set boxes that you see because of the ridiculously loud colours. Sound marketing scheme if you ask me.

img_3863a.jpg

I've managed it again. There are pieces outside the bag. Or are there?

img_3929a.jpg

Now these I like *y* .

img_3875a.jpg

img_3876a.jpg

1 2 (I don't know what the clip is for, there isn't one on the other side) 3 4 5

This is the main model of the set, and again all the pieces are used bar these three, the spares. It's quite a nice model, although the car's a bit odd. Still, I like the ramps, and the colour scheme reminds me just a little of G1 Ultra Magnus.

img_3900a.jpg

Hmm, I think that boom arm could do with refixing...

img_3893a.jpg

1 2 Leftovers

This is actually quite nice as well. It's that classic breakdown truck, and the boom arm itself is quite nice, with quite a bit of movement. Another solid model.

img_3908a.jpg

img_3913a.jpg

1 Leftovers

I'm surprised by the amount of detail here actually. Not only have TLC included a spare wheel at the back, but also what looks like a trailer hitch, which all adds to the 'realism.' Another nice model to round out a nice set.

And in the tub.

Overall: I'm not sure which of the two I like better. When I bought them, and on the way home, I much preferred the train set. But after building this set, I'm not sure. This is another good set from the year when TLC seems to be giving us so many. There are some good pieces in here too, and while there's nothing unique, they're still good.

So, thanks for reading, hope it helped someone, and if there are any requests, I'll see what I can do. That's requests for pics, not songs ;-) .

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Tks for that nice review, brainbox!

I recieved the construction diggers set like this last year. Gee what a nice parts pack.

I like that orange lidded set, the truck. So nice. I won't get it though.

why not? they are all very nice (i have all six of them), especially the helicopter, my least anticipated, but one of the most detailed!! thanks for the review brainbox!!

Thanks for the review Brainbox. *sweet* These look really nifty*

I might pick up a couple of these as for the parts, I'm sure they could come in handy for something. And so cheap as well.

I still miss X-pods though. :'-(

*Do the kids still say nifty these days? *wacko*

why not? they are all very nice (i have all six of them), especially the helicopter, my least anticipated, but one of the most detailed!! thanks for the review brainbox!!

Well, I shall wait until it goes for $1.25 on my S@H, than buy it with a load of other sets.

Thanks for the review Brainbox. *sweet* These look really nifty*

I might pick up a couple of these as for the parts, I'm sure they could come in handy for something. And so cheap as well.

*Do the kids still say nifty these days? *wacko*

Eurobrickers do, that's for sure!

Thanks for that very fine review, Brainbox! *y*

Lovely little Creator goodies, with very neat alternative models as well. :'-)

You're welcome guys.

I like that orange lidded set, the truck. So nice. I won't get it though.

:-D Sorry, that just made me laugh.

Yeah, so do I. They really were a neat idea.

Do the kids still say nifty these days? *wacko*

I do. But then, that's not very helpful, as I sit in English going through a book, listening to the class find archaic words, thinking "but, I still use those words." :-D

Thanks for these great reviews Brainbox, I never expected you to do a review for some reason. I love these mini sets, the Train in particular is great. I won't get any though, those Indy sets are coming in fast and I'm gonna need all the money I can muster. Still they are nifty little sets.

Batbrick Away! >:-)

You're welcome guys.

:-D Sorry, that just made me laugh.

I did some research and re-read tyour review. I will pick this up this weekend.

Yeah, so do I. They really were a neat idea.

I had all the x-pods. They were awesome. I haven' collected all of these though.

Mmmmh, I *wub* love the train... Great review. It looks like each model can be connected to the other to make a complete train. *y* *y*

It makes me want to get 3 of them (or more) to make a long one. :-D