Legochaek

Your worst lego injuries?

The other day, I actually drew blood from my finger from building with Lego... 

What about you guys? What are your worst Lego injuries?

Aside from the many problems caused by building on the floor (Cramp, stiff legs, and leaning forwards onto my knees only to land on a brick), the only injuries as a direct result of building I've had are sore thumbs from longer technic builds. Which probably don't really count.

I've built whilst healing injuries however (broken wrist). Building with only one usable hand, and the non-writing one at that, was interesting. But do-able.

I now and then have hurting fingers, especially around the nails, occurs most of the time when dealing with unsorted LEGO.

11 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

I've never really had anything like this but, STEPPING ON A BRICK.

I must have high pain tolerance because I never feel pain when stepping on lego. The only injuries I usually get is when prizing two pieces apart that neither of my brick separators can separate. The injuries usually happen when I'm using my smallest flathead screwdriver. They don't call them automatic binding bricks for nothing! :wink:

Back in 1990, I got the technic jeep 8050 and built it.

During playing, it fell off the table, and I wanted to grab it with my hands. But the sharp lower corner of the front technic brick slashed my hand at the thenar.

The resulting scar (2cm long) is still visible today.

Nothing serious, or life threatening. Just lots and lots of ruined nails, which is actually serious enough!:wink:

I've broken a couple of fingernails trying to pull apart 2x2 plates. This was before they packed brick separators into everything bigger than 600 pieces, though.

Falling down after stepping on LEGO can be fatal! It is easy to break a wrist or arm when you land on the floor. Remember to roll if you can to lessen the chance of breaking something. And turn on the lights so you can see what you are about to crash into. This is extra tough when the floor is totally covered in you-know-what!n So far I have avoided the broken bones after many nasty falls due to LEGO.

Stepped on an upturned UK three-pin electrical plug while trying to avoid a brick.

I have had many small injuries building with Lego, but most recently, I was trying to remove a 6x10 plate from a MOC, when I slipped, and hit the knuckle of my thumb on the corner of the plate - which resulted in a very painful (and bleeding) dint in my thumb...

But, I have never stepped on a brick...

I chipped some fingernails.  I also jabbed a sharp plate corner into my thumb.  That caused some bloodletting.  :pir-cry_sad:

I've had a classic castle spear tip up under my thumbnail, which wasn't an awful lot of fun.

Also fallen down the loft ladder while trying to carry down too many sets at the same time.  Pride hurt more than bones, thankfully.

Sore fingers. Most notably when I'm trying to stretch tyres over one another. 

Sometimes (instead of using a brick separator) I try to pry apart two plates at the corners. I've always had the bad habit of chewing my finger nails, so I can't usually get a good grip. The result? A big (often painful) scratch (sometimes cut) across the top of my cuticle. (Shudder!)

On 04/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, Steamdemon said:

I must have high pain tolerance because I never feel pain when stepping on lego.

Yes, it is usually not that bad; putting a knee on a brick is much more painful :D (usual when playing as kid)

Sore fingers from intense building sessions. Stepping on bricks is no more than maybe a 1.5 on the pain scale. (Pain scale: 0 = no pain. 10 = Worst pain possible)

Not an injury but when I was very young I swallowed some Lego (think it was one of the old Classic Space Helmets) and my worried and took me to the hospital.  The doctor was an old family friend and he said I would be ok, gave me some money and told me to buy a Mars bar next time I was hungry.

For me, it was just broken nail and scratches on my fingers from attempts at taking apart some sticky structures. However, a couple weeks ago I stepped on my son's brick (a hair piece), and I got a small cut on my foot sole.

I have a scar on leg where I tripped, landed knee-first on a windshield part, snapped it in two and embedded a shard of polycarbonate into my leg.  It wasn't anything I couldn't fix with a little superglue and suture tape (my leg that is, the windshield was toast) but it hurt like hell and when I was limping around the next day I felt pretty stupid admitting it was a Lego Injury.

So far, this has been a once in a lifetime freak accident; Usually, I'm just sore from sitting too long and reaching for parts trays.

Back in around 2004 I got the UCS Imperial Star Destroyer.  It arrived at my house in its shipping box.  As I was carrying the box (which was very large and weighed around 20 or so pounds) down to my basement to build the set, I slipped and missed the second flight of stairs.  It was a hard fall, and I sacrificed my body to protect the Lego box.  I broke a couple of toes (which later turned a disgusting black colour), but I was still so excited to build the set that I didn't mind my injury too much.

Another story (I think this one was at the end of 2009): I built the Taj Mahal while I had a broken arm and shoulder.  So I had to assemble everything using only one hand.  I had to come up with a lot of creative ways to neatly stack all of those 1x1s!  Took two full 12 hour days of building to complete.  That was a pretty great Christmas...