ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JEB314 (James) said:

60197_alt5.jpg

60198_alt7.jpg

Why are the minifigures in the blueprints drawn to such a different scale, compared with the trains?   I really don't think a minifigure is nearly as tall as the passenger train!   And, the one for the freight train drawing barely looks bigger than a train wheel!

 

Edited by icemorons
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As the box art does not appear to contain the text 'batteries not included', does that suggest that there will be a rechargeable battery & battery charger included?

Sorry I was wrong - it does say 'batteries not included'. 

Edited by Dav1d
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JEB314 (James) said:

<snip>

I have a train occupying 4 of the 8 channels, (not seen that done before!) 

I also have the ability to control the trains movement, external and internal light independently, as well as vary the amount of light internally to a level not even necessary!

It really is a mess of cables I must say!

I challenge anyone to make a more ridiculous 6 car unit!

Unfortunately the entire train is in storage at the moment, otherwise I'd shoot a video showing it off!

Thanks for the explanation although my brain hurts after reading that lot. 

 

Really intrigued to to see it now after your description. I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to pull it out of storage so we can see it in action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any indication about lighting for these? Seems like they would have to make all new lighting cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dav1d said:

As the box art does not appear to contain the text 'batteries not included', does that suggest that there will be a rechargeable battery & battery charger included?

Sorry I was wrong - it does say 'batteries not included'. 

It would make the cost of the set even higher if rechargeable PF components were included so I can understand them sticking with batteries.

 

TLG may still produce a rechargeable version though (same as with the current PF1 battery box). This may even include more than 2 ports to differentiate it even further. I dread to think how much they would charge for that though - probably £60+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the rechargeable battery boxes. Not only do they seem to be horribly overpriced, but they will eventually die; where as with a AAA battery box, you can use rechargeable AAA, and when those rechargeable AAA eventually have outlived their lives, you can just replace them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't like the rechargeable battery boxes. Not only do they seem to be horribly overpriced, but they will eventually die; where as with a AAA battery box, you can use rechargeable AAA, and when those rechargeable AAA eventually have outlived their lives, you can just replace them. 

For the price of the rechargeable battery box you can buy an absolute ton of rechargeable AAA's. I just use regular batteries as mine don't run that often.

I have 7 trains so it would cost me $380 for 7 rechargeable battery boxes and the charger. I can buy 1,441 AAA batteries for that amount.

Edited by Eaglefan344
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but we are suppose to be getting a set for SOLO of that sweet train as spoke of in one of M&R's recent video on upcoming sets. If true could this be the year of trains? Maybe Lego is getting the hint that trains should be done in themes outside of creator expert and city, i'd love for a full on train theme some day or even a creator 3in1 train 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't like the rechargeable battery boxes. Not only do they seem to be horribly overpriced, but they will eventually die; where as with a AAA battery box, you can use rechargeable AAA, and when those rechargeable AAA eventually have outlived their lives, you can just replace them. 

With some effort rechargeable batteries in devices can be replaced. It wouldn't be as easy as swapping out rechargeable AAA batteries.  Also with AAA you can have one set being used while another set is being recharged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

With some effort rechargeable batteries in devices can be replaced. It wouldn't be as easy as swapping out rechargeable AAA batteries.  Also with AAA you can have one set being used while another set is being recharged.

What's the process of replacing the ones in the rechargeable battery boxes like? I've never actually seen a breakdown of the boxes. 

Fun fact, despite being very anti-rechargable battery box for PF, I own a total of 5 rechargable battery boxes. I bought 1 initially because it was the only option to power the Emerald Night, but I have a pile of other ones from buying second hand emerald nights before they went out of print 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

What's the process of replacing the ones in the rechargeable battery boxes like? I've never actually seen a breakdown of the boxes. 

Fun fact, despite being very anti-rechargable battery box for PF, I own a total of 5 rechargable battery boxes. I bought 1 initially because it was the only option to power the Emerald Night, but I have a pile of other ones from buying second hand emerald nights before they went out of print 

Philo has pictures of the insides of the battery box on Brickshelf -> http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=399263

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case people have not seen it the trains are listed on the U.S. S@H page the passenger train is $160 USD and the cargo is $230 USD. They both will be released in August which means I have time to gain the funds!

-RailCo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone investigated the Boost's cabling in depth?

I was digging through the firmware and software a few months ago and I vaguely recall other devices being able to receive firmware updates via the boost hub, I'd have to double check its been awhile. I'm fairly confident two of the control lines are for serial comms, the other two being either analogue control or control lines for the serial comms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't like the rechargeable battery boxes. Not only do they seem to be horribly overpriced, but they will eventually die; where as with a AAA battery box, you can use rechargeable AAA, and when those rechargeable AAA eventually have outlived their lives, you can just replace them. 

I am in the other camp, I do not like using the recharable AAA batteries in the normal battery box.  Having to destroy my moc to get the non rechargeable battery box out to swap batteries is a large PITA.  I have 11 recharable boxes right now and the oldest one is going on 10 years.  I have not noticed a drop in the charge anyone holds that can't be attributed to friction of what the train is pulling.  My current record is 7 hours on a single charge (with 3 auto turn offs to deal with, every 2 hours).

Also with the AAA rechargeable batteries you have to get specific ones (envelop?) otherwise they won't fit properly in the LEGO box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pirzyk said:

Also with the AAA rechargeable batteries you have to get specific ones (envelop?) otherwise they won't fit properly in the LEGO box.

AAA size is standardized, so any AAA recharcheable should fit. I have 3 different kinds (one of it Eneloop, I guess that's what you were looking for :wink:) and they all fit without a problem. First time I have heard about this, can you elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the impression that my GP rechargeable AA batteries were a tighter fit in my PF TECHNIC AA battery box, compared to alkaline AA batteries (probably Duracell). They were harder to remove. But I don't think there are differences that large that it will become borderline impossible to use AAA batteries of any given brand,if the TECHNIC box is of any indication (I haven't used my AAA box yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't tell about the Technic battery box. I do have one, somewhere in the cellar, but it's not getting used :laugh: But I definitely didn't have any trouble with the Train battery box so far, wether I fed it my trusted Eneloops, Duracells or cheap Chinese built batteries I gathered from several defect remotes at work.

 

On topic: I've been looking around the Web, but so far it seems noone disassembled the new PF 2.0 battery box or the receiver remote yet. Or has anyone better searching skills than me? I am totally interested in the innards ...

Edited by Capparezza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 9:52 AM, pirzyk said:

Having to destroy my moc to get the non rechargeable battery box out to swap batteries is a large PITA.

I'd argue that designing a train with easy access to the battery box is part of the challenge! Most of us do it, Lego does it, you can too! But I do understand where you're coming from.

Infact in my two engines the bottom of the battery stays fixed in place. I leave the screws loose and slide the battery cassette in and out to change batteries. I do the same on 60051 and 60052. This method has two other advantages; it allows you to use the bottom of the battery box as a structural support since it doesn't have to be removed each time and it lowers the height required for the battery by one plate since you don't need tiles underneath it for easy removal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the plug is at least compatible with standard plugs, just like the Mindstorms plugs are modified RJ11 or something, does anyone know of such a connector like in Boost that is non-LEGO? I know the company that makes the connectors (read: they did the PF connectors at least), but they probably won't sell the connectors to others than LEGO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2018 at 10:06 AM, Capparezza said:

AAA size is standardized, so any AAA recharcheable should fit. I have 3 different kinds (one of it Eneloop, I guess that's what you were looking for :wink:) and they all fit without a problem. First time I have heard about this, can you elaborate?

On 5/25/2018 at 7:44 PM, sed6 said:

I'd argue that designing a train with easy access to the battery box is part of the challenge! Most of us do it, Lego does it, you can too! But I do understand where you're coming from.

I build in 6W so that makes it harder.  I know I can build some that work but to do what I want sometimes the battery box is my limiting factor.

 

I also have several LUG members that have to take their MOCs apart to get to the battery box to change out the rechargable batteries.  Most of my MOCs I just have to pop a cover and plug in the charger.  Much faster to get charging up.  I just send out a new MOC that is waiting in the wings.

Edited by pirzyk
Fixed URLs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be reasonable to create a battery box that uses rechargable  AAA batteries, but you can also plug it in to recharge those batteries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Would it be reasonable to create a battery box that uses rechargable  AAA batteries, but you can also plug it in to recharge those batteries? 

Nope. TLG isn't going going to make one of those for us. They already offer us two options, they won't muddy the water with a third option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sed6 said:

Nope. TLG isn't going going to make one of those for us. They already offer us two options, they won't muddy the water with a third option. 

And I could develop one myself but I don't see the need.  Too many other items on my wish list!  R104 switches and double ceossover, 3 axle train motor, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now