ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

It is difficult to detect colors between the tracks when driving a little faster. My students did a proof of concept some years ago. NFC works well though, although I did a Proof of concept where the reader was under the tracks, not in the train. Putting it in the train might work even better since I think.  

5 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

I've seen them now, and very frustratingly, there are stickers over the PF section in the bottom right. Not on purpose though - there's stickers in the same place on other set boxes too.

I think I can make out though, that the extra word on the new Power Functions logo is '2.0'

Where did you eventually find them? 

I have spent ages looking for these alleged new pics of the train sets but all I can find is the low res images that were leaked a few weeks ago. There are also people over in the Lego City forum claiming that new pics of the City hospital are available online. Can anyone suggest how to find these images.

7 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

So it's pretty certain trains are being used as the testbed for mainstream PF 2.0 sets, although exactly how it is going to be implemented is still a mystery. Are the other elements of the sets identical to what we have seen in the earlier images? What other details can be distinguished?

Also it's likely a matter that they'd like the PF transition to be complete by say 2020, which means that today's trains need to transition as will still be on the shelf then, but Technic sets won't be.

44 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

Legoleaks Discord thread.

I haven't been able to find them...   Any assistance you can provide?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, icemorons said:

Don't ask for leaks. @Paperballpark: don't encourage leaks. The website of zusammengebaut gives a lot of details without violating TLG terms.

2 hours ago, icemorons said:

Don't bother.  They are the same images, just a little larger and more resolution.  They don't provide any more details, other than that you can see them a little more clearly.

I am really concerned that the passenger train looks very awkward in the leaked image, with an abrupt yellow nose.  I realize these are preliminary images.  I am hoping the finished model looks more refined.  But these newer high-resolution images don't provide any newer details.

18 minutes ago, wooster said:

I am really concerned that the passenger train looks very awkward in the leaked image, with an abrupt yellow nose.  I realize these are preliminary images.  I am hoping the finished model looks more refined.  But these newer high-resolution images don't provide any newer details.

If that is indeed the final design, a sticker would likely soften the transition. 

11 hours ago, JopieK said:

It is difficult to detect colors between the tracks when driving a little faster. My students did a proof of concept some years ago. NFC works well though, although I did a Proof of concept where the reader was under the tracks, not in the train. Putting it in the train might work even better since I think.  

To be fair, the Duplo trains don't go nearly as fast as the standard ones; I still think they could use a color sensor due to this.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact we 'again' get a new system? Because I'm kinda bothered by it, because that would mean we get less spare parts for the current PF in the future, just like what happened to 9V.... I would have prefered it if they just kept the current system and expanded it a bit since I think it's near perfect. But maybe the new system is even better, well, time will tell :sweet:

23 minutes ago, Brickviller V2 said:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact we 'again' get a new system? 

A new system is not bad as long as we keep some backward compatibility.

The main drawback between 9V System, PF, Mindstorm and Boost is that each has its own plug format and they cannot interoperate.

Who can still find 9V to PF plug extension cord ? In the same way, Lego coud change stud dimensions every 5/7 years 

If the new system just offers blutooth and a short-lived phone app, I then think I will keep buying Sbricks. It works quite well, is very compact and affordable and doesn't need to change all my electric devices.

As for radii and MILS, AFOLs (/ third parties) could also maintain an open standard to keep some interoparability between Lego successive waves of hesitation (just remember the blocky 2006 train base with IR and battery reveiver)

I already found some pics while googling for the new trainsets

some friendly advice persuaded me to take the link down...

Edited by duifkelego
prelim pics posted

9 hours ago, daoudbazaar said:

Who can still find 9V to PF plug extension cord ?

Well I bought a load of them just today from a Lego Brand store. They're still available.

21 hours ago, daoudbazaar said:

Who can still find 9V to PF plug extension cord ?

Lego.com, in stock, $2.99 USD for the short one, $3.99 USD for the long one, also available in European prices.  

To be clear, both PF extension cords are also PF to 9v converters. One end is PF female the other is 9v female, thereby preventing you from (easily) connecting one battery to another.

For anyone who missed the higher quality images of the new trains that were leaked earlier in the week - somebody has now uploaded a slide show to Youtube containing the pics.

In the new Super Bowl spot for Solo: A Star Wars Story, there's essentially an Imperial monorail train seen at the 0:28 and 0:31 second marks. I doubt we'll see a set based upon it this year, if ever at all, but this could be a opportunity for Lego to introduce a new monorail system, maybe. :shrug_oh_well:

@Digger of Bricks That's a cool obseravtion!! Definitely has potential to be a set because it looks to be part of an action (chase sequence?) set piece. However, I'd hazard a guess that if Lego did make a set based on said sequence, they'd more than likely use the newer rollercoaster track system? The only problem I see is that the train seems to occupy both the top and bottom sides of the track-- either one train at the same time, or two trains going in different directions. How would you build support structures for such a railway, especially the lower portion?

Also, if more of the action sequence is inside of the train, versus on top of it or around it, Lego will more likely go for the easier option of recreating the interior portion of the fight. Then, there's the possibility of them showcasing a depot/station where the sequence either begins or ends.

But that's just my over-analysis of the scenes in question.

2 hours ago, Zetroc said:

The Lego Star Wars virus is so virulent it's now in my trains feed.... :(

Yeah, who knew we'd ever see something resembling a train in the Star Wars universe? :laugh:

Interesting bit of news from the Nuremberg toy fair - courtesy of Brickset:

• 41347 Heartlake City Resort - This set will cost 99.99€ and includes an elevated rail.

Suspect this will just be the new roller coaster track used in Joker Manor and the new Pirate Roller Coaster set, but we can hope...

5 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

Suspect this will just be the new roller coaster track used in Joker Manor and the new Pirate Roller Coaster set, but we can hope...

It is. Essentially, from what I can see, it's a few lengths of straight and curved LBG rollercoaster track with at least a car wrapping around the back of the resort/hotel.