ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

Personally, I don't think it's childish at all. It's smart. TLC doesn't want to reveal their line up to the press lest the fakers get word and copy Lego's new range.

I'm wondering if you guys are just guessing about TLG's intentions, or you know this for a fact?

It seems to me that the clone manufacturers are doing a great job at ripping off LEGO sets - I do not recommend getting them, but one only needs to look on Aliexpress to see how closely they are copying them, which I don't think you can get from a couple of pictures.  It also seems to me that, while clones existed for some time, it really took off when TLG started manufacturing in China, which is where most of the knockoffs come from.

In other words, I don't think it's the conventions that give it away, I think it's insiders working for LEGO.

Edited by fred67

On 1/12/2018 at 3:24 AM, BrickMusher said:

I wonder why they allready participate at Nuremberg toy-fair or invite press-members at all? IMHO at the end it will turn out that TLC just makes a fool on themselfes. Hope the upcoming sets are worth this childish behaviour..... :sick:

They participate at toy fairs to show their product to buyers from toy stores. The press are an added benefit only if they want press at the time. If the early photos are contributing to copying by clone brands I can see why they would want to avoid them.

I did like the ICE Train, ultra modern and although the new version is good, the previous version was more realistic. I know the real one came off the tracks at Eschede, killing over a 100 people, due to faulty/worn "tyre".

36 minutes ago, Paulbricks said:

I did like the ICE Train, ultra modern and although the new version is good, the previous version was more realistic. I know the real one came off the tracks at Eschede, killing over a 100 people, due to faulty/worn "tyre".

I like the new 60051 much better than the old 7897. The new one has a more elegant design.

On 1/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, Steamdemon said:

Personally, I don't think it's childish at all. It's smart. TLC doesn't want to reveal their line up to the press lest the fakers get word and copy Lego's new range.

I agree. There's no doubt they lose a good amount of money from the clone brands so the less they know the better. I like the suspense in waiting to see whats new. Usually we find out about different sets 2 to 3 months before they roll out which is plenty of waiting time. If we saw pictures of a set 6 months to a year before it came out that would be torture.

I just found the leaked images of the engines for those sets.

The passenger train is similar to last years train, but its less pleasant looking...  it kinda resembles the Eurostar bullet train

the Diesel for the cargo train is an old diesel from Europe (dual cab = front and back) but we saw the engine being sold by MEmodels for a pretty penny.  Lego's version is pretty plain from the looks of it.

I think also they will be discontinuing the Flex track, the info given on this thread along with set numbers seems to point that direction.

here is what the Passenger train will be based on (same colors):  6056528214_f5aefc5038.jpg

and the diesel for the Cargo train will be colored teal, and be based on this: Img_5232.jpg

Edited by ncx

29 minutes ago, ncx said:

cargo train is an old diesel from Germany

Sorry, thats not correct

This engines origin is french, and units run in some european countrys like The Netherlands, Louxembourgh, and I think Belgium and Portugal also. But except for an exhibition in Munic and some testrides, it never runs in Germany

Please see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_Class_BB_15000

However, have a nice monday

BrickMusher

10 minutes ago, BrickMusher said:

Sorry, thats not correct

This engines origin is french, and units run in some european countrys like The Netherlands, Louxembourgh, and I think Belgium and Portugal also. But except for an exhibition in Munic and some testrides, it never runs in Germany

Please see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_Class_BB_15000

However, have a nice monday

BrickMusher

I forgot to change that back to Europe, sue me.  Also, I noticed most of your posts either start out with "Sorry" or "I don't mean to be"

so no, you are not sorry.  You are a pessimist that only trolls posts that have errors and then you get off with correcting them.

and to answer someone elses question about the nose on the new passenger engine, it's using this part but its looking like they either printed on it, or it will have a big sticker similar to that of the last passenger train.

https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-windscreen-12-x-6-x-6-curved-with-pin-holes-41881

Edited by ncx

On January 11, 2018 at 12:10 PM, fred67 said:

I'm wondering if you guys are just guessing about TLG's intentions, or you know this for a fact?

It seems to me that the clone manufacturers are doing a great job at ripping off LEGO sets - I do not recommend getting them, but one only needs to look on Aliexpress to see how closely they are copying them, which I don't think you can get from a couple of pictures.  It also seems to me that, while clones existed for some time, it really took off when TLG started manufacturing in China, which is where most of the knockoffs come from.

In other words, I don't think it's the conventions that give it away, I think it's insiders working for LEGO.

I agree. While one can copy some of a set design from photos there is usually some guesswork involved with the areas not shown. To copy them so perfectly as they do requires a bit more than a few images snapped at a convention and its well established how nonexistent the copyright and intellectual property laws are over there which stifles innovation and fosters the theft. In addition to the fact that bulk of the never ending daily new product leaks that are shared and discussed all over the internet don't look like they're taken at conventions, they look like they're so hastily snapped that autofocus didn't even have a chance or ripped out of product catalogs and stuffed down pants. 

6 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I agree. While one can copy some of a set design from photos there is usually some guesswork involved with the areas not shown. To copy them so perfectly as they do requires a bit more than a few images snapped at a convention and its well established how nonexistent the copyright and intellectual property laws are over there which stifles innovation and fosters the theft. In addition to the fact that bulk of the never ending daily new product leaks that are shared and discussed all over the internet don't look like they're taken at conventions, they look like they're so hastily snapped that autofocus didn't even have a chance or ripped out of product catalogs and stuffed down pants. 

I don't think it's anyone inside Lego.  I think that since they produce parts and sets in China, that is how they get access to those designs and molds.  When you see manufacturers have things made in China, they are duplicated without the logos for Chinese marketplace because of the laws there.  You cannot sell Lego in China that is why there are so many knock off brands.

The counterfeit sets skyrocketed when they opened a factory in China and started to have molds made in China.

On 10/01/2018 at 11:23 PM, legotownlinz said:

By biggest wish for 2018 is a return of the double crossover 7996 or the crossing 4519. Are there any rumors on new tracks, other than re-packing of the existing straight and curved tracks?

If they bring back 7996, they had better change it slightly so that you can operate each switch individually - having two controlled by one switch was an awful idea.

11 hours ago, ncx said:

I noticed most of your posts either start out with "Sorry" or "I don't mean to be"

so no, you are not sorry.  You are a pessimist that only trolls posts that have errors and then you get off with correcting them.

@ncx

Yeah, you are right. I started two posts with "sorry", including the one you quoted. The other phrase I never used before, but since I am not a native speaker, I try to improve my skills, so maybe I will use it in a future post?

If you think I am a pessimist, than that is your opinion. Thats ok for me.

I personaly think I am sometimes a little to picky about details and so.

Yeah, maybe, but in my job it´s better so be safe than sorry..... But your post gives me a bad feeling at all. So I will take care of youre advice, think positiv and hope you write your post just in a bad mood on a monday morning before your first cup of coffee or so :wink:

Back to topic, I also agree that it is not a very genius idea to move knowledge and tools to china and wonder at the same time when more and more copies flood the market. We could see it many times before on various buisnesses. Instead they fired 1400 employees in Denmark before last Christmas...

I dont have much experience in buisness/financial issues, but I think it´s very short-term thinking if you skipp skilled and experienced workers for an annual benefit. At the end you will lose more than only the money you tried to preserve...

only my small opinion.

Have a wonderful day

BrickMusher

Edited by BrickMusher
typos

13 hours ago, ncx said:

I don't think it's anyone inside Lego.  I think that since they produce parts and sets in China, that is how they get access to those designs and molds.  When you see manufacturers have things made in China, they are duplicated without the logos for Chinese marketplace because of the laws there.  You cannot sell Lego in China that is why there are so many knock off brands.

The counterfeit sets skyrocketed when they opened a factory in China and started to have molds made in China.

Highly recommended to fully read each post and read them in context (i.e. if the person you're responding to is quoting someone its a good idea to read the quote as well). If you do that then silly things won't happen like responding to someone in disagreement while in the same post essentially repeating everything that the person you're responding to agreed with. 

Edited by koalayummies

I am not a huge fan of European railroading and prefer American locomotives but I do like the design of the freight loco in the images above. It reminds me of the Amtrak Toasters (EMD AEM-7) from the early days. Depending on the freight car offerings I might actually get this one.

44 minutes ago, 22kane said:

Depending on the freight car offerings I might actually get this one.

Good point.

60052 was the first set I didn´t bought as a complete set so far. The cars were not very appealing to me, and I run all my trains on 9V. So I ended up by buying the single Engine on ebay for 25€....

The engine itself is very nice indeed.

Since the supposed price for the new cargo train shall be somewhat around 250€, it must bring a lot of trinkets to make me buy a complete set.

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

If they bring back 7996, they had better change it slightly so that you can operate each switch individually - having two controlled by one switch was an awful idea.

That would be nice, but if they do not change it, I'm also fine. Better the old desing than nothing.

11 hours ago, ncx said:

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I meant.

14 hours ago, ncx said:

I just found the leaked images of the engines for those sets.

Did you find the blurry images and video that were already linked in this thread a few days ago or better ones?

I saw "confidential" pic.

60197 (passenger train) is exactly like on video leaks. Locomotive + two cars.
60198 (cargo train) is different. Similar to British Rail Class 37.

cargo train 60198 look like a this on the photo ??

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37#/media/File:Muir_of_Ord_railway_station_in_1988.jpg 

I like LEGO train  but I think that  LEGO 60197 according to photo leaks  is too colorful, ( dappled )

And I think that LEGO 60198 according the leaks from Noah_PL is too old, like, similar to 7898 deluxe train 

Edited by ZorixPL

16 hours ago, ncx said:

and the diesel for the Cargo train will be colored teal, and be based on this: Img_5232.jpg

That French engine is electric, not a diesel. Let's see if the engine in the set will have panto's or whether they'll turn it into a diesel.

And the carriage for this LEGO CARGO train, what will be ??  

1st. flat carriage ?

2nd. carriage with door ? or olny container

3rd. crane carriage ?

Edited by ZorixPL

15 minutes ago, ZorixPL said:

Yes, but it has two pantographs.

3 minutes ago, ZorixPL said:

And the carriage for this LEGO train, what will be ??  

1. flat carriage with wood

2. carriage for two containers

3. crane carriage

Set also includes bank truck, rail cross, signal tower and rail buffer.