ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

On 7/6/2018 at 10:50 AM, ColletArrow said:

<snip>

I do think they missed out with not being able to motorize it, especially now that they don't have a receiver to worry about. I suppose the problem is that the PU parts aren't available separately yet. Otherwise, I reckon the set is pretty good; even if all the proportions are a bit off, it's the best official representation of Olton Hall we've ever received.

It's certainly closer to Bricktrix's original model from eight years ago, as shown in this (poor) photo.

841107251_OltonHall-1.jpg.ab9caba21b1a15b93582700bc75a549a.jpg

9 hours ago, Snapshot said:

It's certainly closer to Bricktrix's original model from eight years ago, as shown in this (poor) photo.

841107251_OltonHall-1.jpg.ab9caba21b1a15b93582700bc75a549a.jpg

What did he make the boiler out of? I've seen better pictures of this model here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=432359

and it almost looks like the boiler is just a roll of red plastic or something 

15 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

What did he make the boiler out of? I've seen better pictures of this model here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=432359

and it almost looks like the boiler is just a roll of red plastic or something 

It seems like boiler is just some round bricks covered in vinyl. You can see this here. There are bumps in places you would expect round bricks to have space for studs.

Knowing Carl, it's very likely to be a vinyl sticker and the Brickshelf photo shows that it's been printed so is probably a later version than the one I photographed - ready for use in the Harry Potter video game of the time.

Edited by Snapshot

Apologies if I've missed it somewhere but has anyone managed to get the PU app to control two separate PU battery boxes?

I have a layout that would benefit from two trains stopping at passing points. I can do it with PF and Mindstorms but it's messy so two PU trains with colour sensors as already demonstrated here would be great.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, Snapshot said:

Apologies if I've missed it somewhere but has anyone managed to get the PU app to control two separate PU battery boxes?

I have a layout that would benefit from two trains stopping at passing points. I can do it with PF and Mindstorms but it's messy so two PU trains with colour sensors as already demonstrated here would be great.

Yes, someone posted one controller connected to 3 different boxes. So as long as train A is on one output and train B is on the other on the same channel, you should be fine. Or you can switch between up to 5 channels. However, AFAIK at the moment there is no official lego means to add sensors or integrate the PU trains with PF or mindstorms

Thanks. I realise I can't use Mindstorms sensors but I'm sure I saw someone in this thread using the Boost colour sensor as it has the same connector. He may well have hacked the app to do it but who cares?

Edited by Snapshot

2 hours ago, Snapshot said:

Thanks. I realise I can't use Mindstorms sensors but I'm sure I saw someone in this thread using the Boost colour sensor as it has the same connector. He may well have hacked the app to do it but who cares?

That was me - it's not a hacked app, but it is a custom app/code running on my laptop. No modifications to the Lego components required at all.

Ah yes, thanks, I've just read some of the tear-down thread. What I want/need is two trains, each with two motors and a colour sensor so I think that's going to be some way off yet. I have a PC on my show layout anyway as I have an action cam on the train, streaming to the PC and a 24" screen. It seems it almost doesn't matter what the rest of the layout is like as long as people can wave at the train and see themselves on the screen. :hmpf:

1 hour ago, Snapshot said:

Ah yes, thanks, I've just read some of the tear-down thread. What I want/need is two trains, each with two motors and a colour sensor so I think that's going to be some way off yet. I have a PC on my show layout anyway as I have an action cam on the train, streaming to the PC and a 24" screen. It seems it almost doesn't matter what the rest of the layout is like as long as people can wave at the train and see themselves on the screen. :hmpf:

Well the hub only has two ports, so your options are 2x train motors, or 1x color sensor and 1x train motor. :) In any event, if you're capable of writing code, take a look at this library I've written, as it will do what you want (https://github.com/nathankunicki/node-lpf2).

Hmm, I just realized, would it be possible to use the colour sensor as a distance sensor as well? The idea would be to run more than one train on the same track in the same direction. Place the colour sensor in the cab of each engine and when the sensor "sees" an obstacle/train ahead it slows down or stops, depending on how dark it is (the closer the back engine to the front engine, the darker it is for the sensor).

Or you could place the colour sensor pointing on the track and use differently coloured tiles as signals - that way it would be possible to run a whole layout with signals. 

You could also use the colour sensor to detect the engine and turn a switch accordingly...

I don't know how feasible this is and if it makes sense, all just ideas that came into my head :)

1 hour ago, ScotNick said:

Hmm, I just realized, would it be possible to use the colour sensor as a distance sensor as well? The idea would be to run more than one train on the same track in the same direction. Place the colour sensor in the cab of each engine and when the sensor "sees" an obstacle/train ahead it slows down or stops, depending on how dark it is (the closer the back engine to the front engine, the darker it is for the sensor).

Or you could place the colour sensor pointing on the track and use differently coloured tiles as signals - that way it would be possible to run a whole layout with signals. 

You could also use the colour sensor to detect the engine and turn a switch accordingly...

I don't know how feasible this is and if it makes sense, all just ideas that came into my head :)

Actually the color sensor is officially called a "Distance and Color Sensor" and is capable of reporting distances from 1 - 25cm (ish).

All you talked about is currently possible...just not through the official Lego apps. :) I'm already using coloured bricks on the track to change switches and start/stop different trains.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:06 AM, Mr Hobbles said:

Well the hub only has two ports, so your options are 2x train motors, or 1x color sensor and 1x train motor. :) In any event, if you're capable of writing code, take a look at this library I've written, as it will do what you want (https://github.com/nathankunicki/node-lpf2).

Umm, there were twenty-five years between me coding professionally then  learning NXT and I can tell you it was a real struggle. Any more than that may be more than I can handle these days. But I know I can write the logic for what I need so I'll have a look at your automated train code and see if I can mutate it as required.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:26 AM, Mr Hobbles said:

Actually the color sensor is officially called a "Distance and Color Sensor" and is capable of reporting distances from 1 - 25cm (ish).

All you talked about is currently possible...just not through the official Lego apps. :) I'm already using coloured bricks on the track to change switches and start/stop different trains.

25 cm is not far but if each train on the layout used a ETD or FRED with a red brick instead of a led ... Theoretically the sensor could slow the train to a stop to avoid collisions correct?  While it would not look prototypical it would be functional at least.

You say there is two ports so one could face forward and one down at the track and each train have a deadicated unit? Or am I misunderstanding (I understand the custom coding part)

I just got the new Cargo and Passenger trains.

Very disappointing. Both are 50% more expensive than the 7938 and 7939 sets they essentially 'update', but I fail to see where the extra money went. The Bluetooth is utterly dire and I have just ordered a pair of PF kits to retrofit these back to a 'proper' control system that is compatible with all my existing trains.

The controller is way too small for my sausage fingers, and the buttons are all way too small and fiddly. The rotary wheels on PF were perfect for controlling trains easily with one hand....this new PU controller is awful.

And don't say 'use the app'...I don't own a tablet or smart phone and don't intend to. What I do have is a Windows 10 laptop with Bluetooth 4 (LE) and I did email TLG to enquire about a Windows version of the software, but they say 'no', and no plans to bring one out. A shame really as the real-estate on a 19" (or bigger) screen would give you some amazing possibilities. 

Fairly 'standard' trains, somewhat overpriced compared to earlier releases, and I fail to see any benefit at all with the Bluetooth versus tried-and-tested PF.

The battery life is about half an hour with the same NiMh batteries that power the PF trains for a whole afternoon. I can't see the PU train motor needing any more power than the PF version....must be the Bluetooth that sucks them dry. I would need a second mortgage to run these on alkalines.

LEGO...what were you thinking?!

There are Android emulators (like BlueStack) for Windows.  I am not sure which ones (if any) might work with the PU app.  It could be something to test and see. 

3 hours ago, retrotecchie said:

The battery life is about half an hour with the same NiMh batteries that power the PF trains for a whole afternoon. I can't see the PU train motor needing any more power than the PF version....must be the Bluetooth that sucks them dry. I would need a second mortgage to run these on alkalines.

This. It was mentioned once, then I don't recall it being reported. It's very unfortunate, had anyone made some measurements?

After the poor review above I looked at S@H for other reviews. I found a very interesting comment from Lego...

"RESPONSE FROM LEGO:EmilyCustomer ServiceJuly 16, 2018
Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your new LEGO® train. I'll pass your feedback along to our designers.

If you'd like to add another engine to your train, you can get in touch with us at LEGO.com/Service for advice..."

This response sounds like we can contact Lego and perhaps order a second separate engine to complete the look of the passenger train. Thoughts?

Edit to add: I've just emailed Lego to inquire and will let everyone know what their response is. 
Edited by sed6

I have been doing some more testing with the new Passenger Train. I took the set of NiMh 1000mAh batteries that only lasted 30 or so minutes in the Smart Hub and gave them a 14 hour charge overnight. This afternoon, I managed around 40 minutes with the train just circling the supplied track at speed 3 (of the 10).

An identical set of batteries from the same batch in a Power Functions train last a good four hours on the equivalent speed setting.

The Bluetooth kit constantly illuminates the RGB led on both the transmitter and the Smart Hub, and there must be some constant two way communication going on to maintain pairing and handshaking. With switched addresses on Power Functions and the controller only transmitting when sending a command, clearly the PF IR kit is going to be far more battery efficient. 

When the PU controller is paired with the Smart Hub, a quick press on the Smart Hub power button causes the channel to change. The LED colour cycles to show the channel (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow or Purple). The LED on the controller tracks the Smart hub pretty instantly, which I guess is good...it shows a very low latency or lag on the Bluetooth, but it clearly shows that the communications between the controller and the Smart Hub are bidirectional.

Now....I have a Cargo Train to build this afternoon, and it will be interesting to see how the pairing works between two controllers and two hubs.

Incidentally, my tests with the controller used alkaline batteries. I have just taken a set of NiMh cells from another PF train and will now see if the lower voltage (4.8v rather than 6v) has an effect on both range and longevity of the controller itself. 

I have been doing some more testing with the new Passenger Train. I took the set of NiMh 1000mAh batteries that only lasted 30 or so minutes in the Smart Hub and gave them a 14 hour charge overnight. This afternoon, I managed around 40 minutes with the train just circling the supplied track at speed 3 (of the 10).

An identical set of batteries from the same batch in a Power Functions train last a good four hours on the equivalent speed setting.

The Bluetooth kit constantly illuminates the RGB led on both the transmitter and the Smart Hub, and there must be some constant two way communication going on to maintain pairing and handshaking. With switched addresses on Power Functions and the controller only transmitting when sending a command, clearly the PF IR kit is going to be far more battery efficient. 

When the PU controller is paired with the Smart Hub, a quick press on the Smart Hub power button causes the channel to change. The LED colour cycles to show the channel (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow or Purple). The LED on the controller tracks the Smart hub pretty instantly, which I guess is good...it shows a very low latency or lag on the Bluetooth, but it clearly shows that the communications between the controller and the Smart Hub are bidirectional.

Now....I have a Cargo Train to build this afternoon, and it will be interesting to see how the pairing works between two controllers and two hubs.

Incidentally, my tests with the controller used alkaline batteries. I have just taken a set of NiMh cells from another PF train and will now see if the lower voltage (4.8v rather than 6v) has an effect on both range and longevity of the controller itself. 

Another observation. When you change channel on the Smart Hub, the controller channel changes to track it. 

When you power off the controller, the Smart Hub loses the controller signal and tries to pair again for another ten seconds or so, gives up and then goes into shutdown. 

The plus side of this is you don't need to switch off your loco. Once the controller is off, the train follows suit.

The downside of this is that the only way to switch the system back on again is to press the power button on both the train and the controller. The pairing takes place and the last selected channel is remembered. If you were on Red, it comes back up as Red.

A great way to shut down the loco remotely, but not so great if it is on the other side of your layout or inside a tunnel!

I still need to 'play' with two controllers and two trains to see how the interaction happens. I fear this could be rather confusing!

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

25 cm is not far but if each train on the layout used a ETD or FRED with a red brick instead of a led ... Theoretically the sensor could slow the train to a stop to avoid collisions correct?  While it would not look prototypical it would be functional at least.

You say there is two ports so one could face forward and one down at the track and each train have a deadicated unit? Or am I misunderstanding (I understand the custom coding part)

Well, the color sensor is rather weak and only really detects colors up to about 1-2cm maximum, so using a red brick and color mode for the detection probably wouldn't work very well. However it is a "Color and Distance Sensor", both at the same time - so it can detect colors at 1-2cm away, *and* distances of any object at 1-25cm-ish. It doesn't need a color to detect objects.

Yes, there's two ports, so you could attach two color sensors, HOWEVER! There is a bug in the hub whereby it will crash if there are two of the same sensor type plugged in at once (Also true for Boost motors, as they are "motor" and "sensor" at the same time). However I have been informed Lego plans to fix this in a firmware update. To work around this you could use the Boost "Color and Distance Sensor" pointing down at the track, and the WeDo 2.0 "Distance Sensor" pointed forward.

Note though, if you plug two sensors in, you have no more ports for motors to drive the train! :)

57 minutes ago, retrotecchie said:

I still need to 'play' with two controllers and two trains to see how the interaction happens. I fear this could be rather confusing!

In my opinion it works rather well. :) I've driven three trains at the same time - a Horizon Express with two hubs (each with one motor), a Maersk train, and a Metroliner, all connected to the same Powered Up remote.

You can have the hubs all on different colors, or two on one color and another on another color, or any combination of, etc. You just cycle between the ones you want to control with the green button on the remote.

Obviously if you've hidden your hubs you can't see the colors, so maybe you can put a coloured tile on the outside of the train so you know what color it is inside?

Edited by Mr Hobbles

Has anyone retrofitted the Cargo Train with Power Functions? My plan it to use Powered Up for my Holiday Train and Power Functions for the Cargo, as Jang’s review made it seem like there was a fair amount of space available in the 2018 trains’ engines.