ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

I just found in a DunksterBricks stream of building 60197 at 2:03:22 that there will be PU lights, shown in the back of the instructions, so they're not going.  I was seriously worried that they might.

I've also just realised that with PU, the receiver-being-visible problem with the Winter Holiday Problem is basically over - with this it will not be needed and will look unchanged.

Edited by Vilhelm22

For anyone in the uk Debenhams are selling the new trains with 10% off. So that’s £108 for passenger train and £162 for cargo train ?

Thanks for the tip, bought the Passenger Train, collecting on Saturday, which is two days earlier than I was hoping to get it! :) I plan to get the Cargo Train from Argos using about £50 worth of Nectar points.

31 minutes ago, Heppy9 said:

For anyone in the uk Debenhams are selling the new trains with 10% off. So that’s £108 for passenger train and £162 for cargo train ?

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder when the old trains will be retired? The blue cargo train 60052 is on offer for just £104.99 from the lego store. It's temporarily out of stock though. 

Good to hear that the lights are being updated. Only missing piece of the puzzle is a LiPo battery...

Edited by brickbuilder711

On 6/29/2018 at 8:28 AM, brickbuilder711 said:

Good to hear that the lights are being updated. Only missing piece of the puzzle is a LiPo battery...

And a PF/9v conversion cable, and a polarity reversing cable. :)

Since they are updating the lights, I hope they do brighter ones / less blue ones. several of my PF light sets are dim or really blue 

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

...and @just2good has reviewed the new Hogwarts Express set:

Warning to train fans: I'm not the best with LEGO trains, so excuse any mess ups I make in this review! :blush:

48 minutes ago, just2good said:

Warning to train fans: I'm not the best with LEGO trains, so excuse any mess ups I make in this review! :blush:

Loved the review, mess ups and all! Hope to get this set by end of the year.

Okay so now that the Hogwarts Express is released and the City trains are in most places, now the only train set left is the SOLO one, wonder if there is any way for it to ride on rails without modifications. If it doesn't that would be kinda disappointing but non the less it seems to be the year of trains. 

15 hours ago, just2good said:

How were you able to get the set early? 

Damn it... to Europe arrives one month later and more expensive... #@&%#!! :D

Edited by rahziel

19 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Loved the review, mess ups and all! Hope to get this set by end of the year.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

How were you able to get the set early? 

The LEGO Store had it. :look:

21 hours ago, just2good said:

Yeah, the coal tender is not a place to store luggage. LOL Otherwise nice

Edited by brickbuilder711

Here is a quote from over in the Harry Potter thread. It's being suggested that the engine is too tall to pass under the foot bridge if it is placed on to track. The height of the track causes the engine to become too tall to clear the bridge.

23 hours ago, scatmanjack said:

Built the Hogwarts Express and put it on LEGO train track along with the King's Cross Station (powered by a passenger car, engine is still stock).   Would you believe the Train will not go under the bridge as built in the Instructions? Yep! There is a black smoke stack that is 1/3 brick too tall and hits the underside of the bridge.  Fortunately this smoke stack sits on a round 2x2 piece that can be removed to solve the issue... Cannot believe this was released like this by LEGO...

10 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Here is a quote from over in the Harry Potter thread. It's being suggested that the engine is too tall to pass under the foot bridge if it is placed on to track. The height of the track causes the engine to become too tall to clear the bridge.

You can see from Jangs review it fits perfectly fine when on tracks. I think the person above must have made a mistake in the build.

I don't know. I could believe that the chimney is too tall to fit under; it looks slightly taller than the cab, which only just fits (around 13:30 in Jang's review), but a building error is just as likely. And if it's as easy to fix as removing a plate, I'm sure it's not going to be too much of a problem.

As someone else pointed out in the HP thread, if you're raising the train you should raise the platform as well. Especially since with the track in place, the platform is barely above rail top height, definitely wrong for the British stations on which it's modeled. An extra brick layer, if not 2 or even 3, would make the platform at a reasonable level and eliminate any issues with the footbridge.

I do think they missed out with not being able to motorize it, especially now that they don't have a receiver to worry about. I suppose the problem is that the PU parts aren't available separately yet. Otherwise, I reckon the set is pretty good; even if all the proportions are a bit off, it's the best official representation of Olton Hall we've ever received.

3 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I do think they missed out with not being able to motorize it, especially now that they don't have a receiver to worry about. I suppose the problem is that the PU parts aren't available separately yet.

I wonder if they just decided *not* to publish the notes how to motorize it because the PU parts were not going to be ready in time.  I would not be surprised TLG would assume the AFOL community would be able to motorize it and deciminate that info.  Might be an interesting article for BMR or other sites like that.  Years ago there were articles how to motorize the Consitution train on RailBricks.

TLG didn't motorize the Monster Fighter Ghost Train either.  This set is similar to Ghost Train.  No tracks were provided and it wasn't intended to run on tracks.  But still people did their own thing and motorized Ghost Train for track running.

Jang with the first go at motorization:

Seems like a good solution, time will show if anything better show up as more people get the set :classic:

Hi, I'm new here.

My first official post.

I've just noticed that the carriages of the passenger train 60197 are one plate (one third of a brick) taller than the carriages of its predecessor 60051. I suppose this allows the minifigures to wear taller hats as they walk through the carriages to take their seats!