ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

9 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@Toxic43

> Eurostar

> Diesel engine

Hold up what

University of Southampton made an "Electric" Eurostar, but I believe it had a diesel generator, so there really is a prototype for everything!

Eurostar_and_21_C1_await_departure.jpg

44 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@Toxic43

> Eurostar

> Diesel engine

Hold up what

OK, maybe not the eurostar. But it certainly does have the side grilles all along the sides. The Class 43 however, I stand by my remarks. Valenta FTW!

On ‎17‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 4:25 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Pictures of 60238 the switching tracks are out... looks like the only differences are that the new set comes with a $5 cost improvement and a 5th digit in the set number over the old 7895 set.

Sorry for bringing this up again but "Cost improvement" made me laugh my - butt - off. This is really nice. I have to use that phrase next time when negotiating a research proposal with a partner from industry:tongue:.

@fred67 : The cost improvement is for both, TLG and for us: TLG makes more money, we don't have to think that much about where to put our money.

Best
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

@fred67 : The cost improvement is for both, TLG and for us: TLG makes more money, we don't have to think that much about where to put our money.

Best
Thorsten

You know what?  You're right.  Every cost "improvement" TLG gives us means I buy a whole lot less of it.

2 hours ago, fred67 said:

You know what?  You're right.  Every cost "improvement" TLG gives us means I buy a whole lot less of it.

Case in point: The LOLercoaster.

4 hours ago, Toastie said:

Sorry for bringing this up again but "Cost improvement" made me laugh my - butt - off. This is really nice. I have to use that phrase next time when negotiating a research proposal with a partner from industry:tongue:.

Best
Thorsten

Brothers Brick had them listed at $15.99 USD, same as before.

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Brothers Brick had them listed at $15.99 USD, same as before.

That is not fair. We don't have that in Germany:wink:. Oh well, we happily accept the improved cost; €19.99 (but I'll never pay that). Which actually seem to feel good, as it is not bluntly €20.00 That really would have been too much of an improvement ...  

3 hours ago, fred67 said:

Yeap - same here. That is exactly what I wanted to say. (I simply do believe in BrickLink. I love that place.)

Best
Thorsten  

15 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Just wondering why do the both trains have grill tiles attached to the sides where battery box is?

They are probably modeling equipment cooling vents on the sides of real life locomotives.  Like the grill in front of your car's the radiator.

Aye - I was just thinking this design could be forced by the battery box, but that wouldn't make sense. 

On 5/18/2018 at 2:00 AM, Ayato Zechs said:

Hi all! Just saw that the Brick Show just posted a video featuring the new trains and some technic sets. The video starts off with the trains, and you can see the new freight trains running at slow speed.

Looks like there is a new roof piece above the windows/windshield on the green locomotive, either a pair of 2x4x2/3 or more likely a single 4x6x2/3 with a slope on the outer set of what would be 4 studs. The windshield looks to have clear glass. Also an interesting use of the white snotted 1x6 train wagon end.

You can see the battery box/receiver light through the front windshield at about 10 sec in, it does not appear to be lined up with the side grills. But maybe part of the battery box is wider than 4 studs, as the battery box on the passenger train seems to also be aligned with the grills. It does appear that the on/off button is visible on top of the passenger train, but that appears to be a 2 wide section between 2x4 slopes, so maybe that is just a brick built button that presses the actual on/off switch below.

The passenger train is growing on me, but I'm a sucker for dark blue.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looks like there is a new roof piece above the windows/windshield on the green locomotive, either a pair of 2x4x2/3 or more likely a single 4x6x2/3 with a slope on the outer set of what would be 4 studs.

It might even be 32739 from last year :wink: :tongue:! It's good to get it in DBG though; it's currently only available in yellow, orangeish yellow, white and dark blue.

As for the on-off switch; either they've made it taller than the rest of the battery box, making it a very unusual shape, or they've made a new part roughly equal to a 2x2 brick but with a modification for the button in it. I don't think that shape could easily be brick-built. Perhaps it's a little longer, and includes the blue on-off light as well. But, of course, this is all speculation.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

As for the on-off switch; either they've made it taller than the rest of the battery box, making it a very unusual shape, or they've made a new part roughly equal to a 2x2 brick but with a modification for the button in it. I don't think that shape could easily be brick-built. Perhaps it's a little longer, and includes the blue on-off light as well. But, of course, this is all speculation.

And here I was hoping that we already knew what the battery box looked like.

I really hope the battery box won't be any wider than 4 studs. That would making hood-type switchers, that also have to look decent, a lot harder.

3 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

It might even be 32739 from last year :wink: :tongue:! It's good to get it in DBG though; it's currently only available in yellow, orangeish yellow, white and dark blue.

Yep, that's the part, completely new to me.

Does anyone here figure that the new passenger train assembly for the front could be utilized for a future train set for the Friends theme? To me, the piece seems like it could stylistically accommodate the aesthetic of the theme, more so than the one utilized for 2014's Passenger Train. :shrug_oh_well:

So I have been thinking more about the BT PF2 train bits. Here are a few of the things I am hoping for (concerned about)

1) no more than 4 studs wide for the battery/receiver unit

2) option for a rechargeable battery that can be built inside MOCs without being removed to charge

3) use the existing wall-wart for recharging

4) given the new plug system, is it even possible to drive two motors off of one output from the receiver? Hopefully yes (or perhaps the two outputs could be controlled together via the smart phone app but not the hand controller). Or maybe there will be a Y-splitter?

5) Even better if the software allowed you to control multiple receivers working together so that you could have 4 motors under a train all working at the same speed.

6) Hopefully the new battery/receiver can deliver more power than the current (no pun intended) IR receiver.

If we have a receiver incorporated in the battery box, why do we need any other electric equipment i.e. switch button? Less PF components mean greater MOC building possibilities.

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

4) given the new plug system, is it even possible to drive two motors off of one output from the receiver? Hopefully yes (or perhaps the two outputs could be controlled together via the smart phone app but not the hand controller). Or maybe there will be a Y-splitter?

This exactly. Is it possible with WeDo at the moment?

Both much better than the leaked promo images.  The passenger train looks good (lack of doors aside) and the colours are really vibrant; the freight train set overall is well designed has lots of play value.  Lesson to be learned by some.  ;o)

However, I will be buying the Hogwarts Express and modding and de-Harry Pottering it to fit in my 50s village layout (alongside a modded Constitution with EN-style carriages).

Is there any info at all on the form factor of the various PF 2.0 parts? I have some moc ideas in mind and not knowing what I have to work with is driving me nuts

10 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Is there a rumored release date on these? I cant seem to find the info.

July for the City trains according to Brickset

No date on the Hogwarts Express but will probably be around the same.

13 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Is there any info at all on the form factor of the various PF 2.0 parts? I have some moc ideas in mind and not knowing what I have to work with is driving me nuts

Yes! Finally! Just click here to see the page on Promobricks.

Worryingly, it does say that the Bluetooth technology is not compatible with older train products. Big concern for me as I'm so heavily invested in PF1.

12 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

Yes! Finally! Just click here to see the page on Promobricks.

Worryingly, it does say that the Bluetooth technology is not compatible with older train products. Big concern for me as I'm so heavily invested in PF1.

That's about the controllers. They're letting potential customers know, that they can't use the new remote with the old IR based system or vice versa. All we can do is hope for an adapter or maybe a possible mod (swapping out the cable) that allows us to use our old motors with the new PF2 stuff.

I wonder why they don't just show us the new PF2 parts and connectors. The Chinese know what those bits look like anyway. There's no point in hiding it from us any longer.

3 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

July for the City trains according to Brickset

No date on the Hogwarts Express but will probably be around the same.

According to something I read a few days ago, but am now struggling to find, I believe:

On 17/05/2018 at 11:02 PM, JEB314 (James) said:

The Preliminary Release Date is 1st August 2018 (presumably for the American market anyway)

Plus there was the date on that basic info sheet, think that might be refering to the same release date.

PSX_20180517_220556.png

Hope it is, then it'll be out in time for my birthday!