ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

done this, because this year we've got much more than we're used to... so separate posts seemed needed to discuss... Yipiii, trains!!! :D So happy

Mad Eurostar vibes from the passenger train. I’m digging it, although I wonder what it would’ve looked like if the DBG and dark blue colours were reversed. Can anyone do a cheeky photoshop?

Edited by Bartybum

I was waiting for this day. I'm definitely getting the cargo train. I love how it matches the Cargo terminal so well. I'm not too interested in the passenger train but it does look a LOT better than the leaked images showed. I'm also sold on the HE with that much detail at low price point. I might get more that one to mod it like everyone else. :sweet:

Such a happy day when not two, but three new trains are officially announced.   Now to wait for them to go on sale...

Just went on Bricklink and ordered more red windows (1x4x3) so I can expand and add additional HE passenger cars.

I'm still wondering if might get tempted to buy one of the new motorized Train sets. I think I'll wait for detailed tests of the new electric parts.

However, the Harry Potter one looks very promising. Price is OK, build is looking good. And there is ample room for us AFOLs to modify it. I'm not into HP stuff at all, but this might be my first set of this franchise.

14 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I keep looking at the pic of the new city passenger train and I have to say it is growing on me a lot. Sure it might not be super realistic but I like my lego vehicles to look like toys, if that makes sense. If I wanted accurate scale models I'd be buying OO gauge models instead. :classic:

It definitely looks a lot better than the preliminary pictures, but to be honest with the quite large selection of trains I already have, I don’t really feel a need to pick it up. Maybe if it’s heavily discounted like previous passenger trains :)

12 hours ago, PeteM said:

I wonder if we’ll start to see more trains like this, as the new track pack is curves and straights together (with a bit of flexi thrown in). Currently the only way to get curves is in the ‘points’ set and in the full train sets. Now they can do trains in ‘other’ themes a lot cheaper, with the option to buy the track as an add on.....

I certainly hope so.

This is a step in the right direction for trains in my opinion.

TLG can keep a couple of long running standard city packs with all the track, power functions kit etc, and then periodically release add on trains without all that baggage for a cheaper price - essentially what they used to do with Creator expert trains.

It would be great to get one such train set per year - I’d like to see them mix it up by alternating between a themed train and a Creator expert train. 

$5 for updated graphics.  Those box graphic designers may have charged an arm and leg.  :laugh:

Wondering how is it going to affect prices of current sets. I haven't yet stocked on switches,  maybe it's time to

Edited by Bartosz

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Pictures of 60238 the switching tracks are out... looks like the only differences are that the new set comes with a $5 cost improvement and a 5th digit in the set number over the old 7895 set.

"Cost improvement."  :look: What does that mean?  Improvement for whom?

1 hour ago, Bartosz said:

Wondering how is it going to affect prices of current sets. I haven't yet stocked on switches,  maybe it's time to

The ones now are $15.99 USD MSRP and are usually on sale for $11.99ish. I wonder if the sale price will be similar for the new ones even if they're $19.99 MSRP.

1 hour ago, Bartosz said:

If I used PF track I would certainly stock up!

I'm a 9V man so it doesn't concern me, but with the points currently on sale in a number of places, makes sense!

Another thought, what do people think the price discrepancy between left and right handed points will be once 60198 is out, just interested!

I predict it'll cause a little difference like set 4512 did to 9V ones in 2003, but it won't be very much!

Overall, in terms on pricing for 60238, I think TLG can get away with the price increase as its the only way to get a right hand point from a 'current' set without going aftermarket, as 60198 only has a left... That's probably long the lines of their thinking anyway!

5 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

If I used PF track I would certainly stock up!

I'm a 9V man so it doesn't concern me, but with the points currently on sale in a number of places, makes sense!

Another thought, what do people think the price discrepancy between left and right handed points will be once 60198 is out, just interested!

I predict it'll cause a little difference like set 4512 did to 9V ones in 2003, but it won't be very much!

Overall, in terms on pricing for 60238, I think TLG can get away with the price increase as its the only way to get a right hand point from a 'current' set without going aftermarket, as 60198 only has a left... That's probably long the lines of their thinking anyway!

I am guessing (and hoping) the next cargo train will come with 1 point to balance it out. I don't think we will get a Toys R Us exclusive like 2011 and 2015 so the next cargo train probably won't be here til 2022.

48 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I am guessing (and hoping) the next cargo train will come with 1 point to balance it out. I don't think we will get a Toys R Us exclusive like 2011 and 2015 so the next cargo train probably won't be here til 2022.

There is always a chance some other company(s) could pick up the 'exclusive' train!

On that, I think there is a legitimate way it could work!

In the UK, it looks like a merger between Asda and Sainsbury's is happening, why is that important I hear you ask!

Now, Asda is owned by the same people as Walmart in the US, and they have done a number of Lego exclusives in the past. (Also bare in mind Walmart are in many countries with subsidiaries and have links with other companies in parts of the world.)

Meanwhile, in the UK and Ireland, Sainsbury's are owned by the same people as Argos, and they have done a few Lego exclusives in the past.

Therefore, that is an entirely feasible way for an 'exclusive' train set to work, and also, like before, in countries where that isn't possible Lego stores and the online shop will carry them!

Hope that made sense!

If it does happen, I have a sneaky suspicion we may get a shorter length diesel shunter (say, 16 studs long) with a few (2 or 3) shorter length wagons and a caboose!

*I say it with a pinch of salt, as a while back I had a chat with an individual - as some may remember I mentioned many, many pages ago, who worked (now formally) with molds and the like...*

I hope we do get another train in 2019, but who knows at this point...

Are there any leaks what set 60199 will be? Does Lego skip the number?

It was mentioned before there that it will not be a City station, which sounds reasonable, taking the Winter Village station and Harry Potter stations into account. 

I've been doing some searching and have found multiple pictures of the Hogwarts Express in actual brick form that someone has photographed at a Lego event.

(But I can't seem to upload them - its not that they're too large, they can't seem to process - I've contacted the administrators)

Other things I picked up:

The SRP is $79.99 USD 

The Preliminary Release Date is 1st August 2018 (presumably for the American market anyway)

44 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

I've been doing some searching and have found multiple pictures of the Hogwarts Express in actual brick form that someone has photographed at a Lego event.

(But I can't seem to upload them - its not that they're too large, they can't seem to process - I've contacted the administrators)

Other things I picked up:

The SRP is $79.99 USD 

The Preliminary Release Date is 1st August 2018 (presumably for the American market anyway)

You could throw the pictures up on some place like postimg.org.

4 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

You could throw the pictures up on some place like postimg.org.

Here we go!

Info:

PSX_20180517_220556.png

Overview:

PSX_20180517_220521.png

Locomotive and Tender:

PSX_20180517_220636.png

Carriage and Station:

PSX_20180517_220734.png

Hi all! Just saw that the Brick Show just posted a video featuring the new trains and some technic sets. The video starts off with the trains, and you can see the new freight trains running at slow speed.

Edited by Ayato Zechs

Just wondering why do the both trains have grill tiles attached to the sides where battery box is?

5 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Just wondering why do the both trains have grill tiles attached to the sides where battery box is?

A lot of diesel trains have these grilles on the sides. Take the class 43 HST from the UK for instance, or the Eurostar, or the TGV. They all have side ventilation grilles for the diesel engines.

Personally I like the styling. I'm getting a mix of class 43 and eurostar from 60197. I will have to have two of these for sure. Although I might have to have one and my little boy may have to have the other!