ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

It looks like 8 red train windows are included, as well as 6 big train wheels in black

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong on both counts. The windows are not of the classic train type. And there are 4 big train wheels with a flange and 2 big ones without a flange. Still, it looks like a great loc!

Edited by DaFokka

Oh my days...

I can't even contain my excitement for this Hogwarts Express! I'm going buy at least 2 complete sets and multiple sets of the large black train wheels!

Finally I can make Holgar Matthes' Crocodile Loco at a more reasonable price, I found the current price of the wheels made it a tad too expensive!

From the rumours I'd been hearing I thought it might happen, but I'm so pleased its actually the case!!!

Anyone have an idea/prediction for when it might become available?

Here is a picture of Hogwarts Express: Click
And the station that comes with it: Click

On one hand I'm really excited that they finally made the Hogwarts Express a real steam engine!
I really think it's sad though, that they didn't reuse the train windows for the coach, seems like we'll never see them in production again...
What I personally find interesting is that they don't use the normal buffer piece, but have them built with bricks - really wonder how the coach is connected to the engine.
But I'm sure many people will take this as a reason to buy more and build a more prototypical version, already excited to see all the mods!

Edit: Something I realized just now: THERE SEEMS TO BE A NEW PANTOGRAPH PIECE!!!

Edited by ScotNick

I guess the new battery box will contain AAA batteries just like with the current one, I wonder if a LiPo rechargeable battery will become available.

Yes.

At the moment, the new PF-Power element are stricktly related to the train.

There is the new battery pack, which is quite similar to the previous one, besde the fact it is also the "receiver" for the Bluetooth.
There is the new train motor, which is quite similar to the previous one too BUT with the new cable, which is of a RJ (same of Mindostorm and EV3) type
There is the new remote control which is operate by Bluetooth
There is an APP (both for iOS and Android) which is still work-in-progress and which will let you to control the train via smartphone or tablet, like the one that has already been developed and released for DUPLO train

I love that there is a new hogwarts express! It looks really compressed though. I feel it needs to be at least 8 studs longer. 

With some heavy modification, this could look really amazing! 

On 22/02/2018 at 7:49 AM, ElectroDiva said:

An updated Hogwarts Express is a no brainer for a rebooted HP theme.

My guess is with the winter village train having had its second outing and destined for retirement, they may go for a HE set this Christmas for that sweet crossover appeal 

Called it :)

And here’s a pic from Brickset (mods hope this is ok to post?):

75955-1.jpg

At *only* $79.99 (£69.99?) it’s actually very reasonably priced - thumbs up to TLG for leaving out the track to keep the price down.

I’ll be buying at least two of these (one to add to my existing 4841, and one more for an extra coach, station and steam locomotive parts). 

Good to see detailed pics of the two new city sets too. The passenger train looks much better now - but I still reckon I’ll be sticking to just the cargo train.

If it is c.£69.99 then I really will be over the moon! That would be phenomenal value from TLG for a licenced theme! And there was me expecting it to be more like £80-£85...

May end up purchasing more than 2 at this rate!

It should be okay, it has no watermarks or confidential markings. And I saw it an Entertainment Weekly article this morning on /r/Lego, so things are pretty chill. That being said, I'm extremely excited. Things are looking up for the train theme! I really hope that demand for this Hogwarts Express set will show Lego that people want more engines. I'm really hoping for that Creator Expert train now.

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I love that there is a new hogwarts express! It looks really compressed though. I feel it needs to be at least 8 studs longer. 

With some heavy modification, this could look really amazing! 

This was my first thought too.  It needs to be a bit longer.  I compared the new HE to the actual locomotive in the movies, and it's really amazing how many of the details on the real loco are incorporated into this new version.  But I do think it could be a few studs longer.  I'll probably buy 2 sets so that I have multiple passenger cars, and enough pieces to stretch the locomotive 3 to 4 studs longer.

54 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

At *only* $79.99 (£69.99?) it’s actually very reasonably priced - thumbs up to TLG for leaving out the track to keep the price down.

I'm not a HP fan but this looks like a wonderful set and a "must buy" especially if that price is correct. As well as the loco and coach, the station also looks great.

I keep looking at the pic of the new city passenger train and I have to say it is growing on me a lot. Sure it might not be super realistic but I like my lego vehicles to look like toys, if that makes sense. If I wanted accurate scale models I'd be buying OO gauge models instead. :classic:

Just hope there is some variation in the interiors of the 2 coaches and that they aren't exact copies of eachother.

Edited by Bricked1980

2 hours ago, Rijkjavik said:

Please no, I still want it in dark blue... :cry_sad:

... and dark green, dark brown, reddish brown as well as light and dark grey. I'd also take some in dark tan, please. Of course the other colours would be welcome, too. I also wanted those window glas pieces in trans black as well as a few more in trans clear.

Without train windows, putting train doors in all the other current sets feels like a massive slap in the face. Just like the little polybag train that was leaked a few days ago. Must have went like this: "You've been asking for a new creator train for 4 years? Here, choke on that."

Well, at least the black train wheels may drop in price for a few weeks. I'm sure it's our last chance to stock up on those. I also fully expect them to ask for at least 129€.

If HP train is compatible with power functions 2.0, it appears it will stick everything in the tender. The tender is tiny, but all it needs is the battery box, and to be able to sit on the motor. are there any good pictures of the tender? 

12 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

are there any good pictures of the tender? 

This is the best I can do! Sorry about the bad quality!

28281625828_4e8ce3294a_q.jpg

2 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

Called it :)

And here’s a pic from Brickset (mods hope this is ok to post?):

75955-1.jpg

I wonder if we’ll start to see more trains like this, as the new track pack is curves and straights together (with a bit of flexi thrown in). Currently the only way to get curves is in the ‘points’ set and in the full train sets. Now they can do trains in ‘other’ themes a lot cheaper, with the option to buy the track as an add on.....

16 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

This is the best I can do! Sorry about the bad quality!

28281625828_4e8ce3294a_q.jpg

That's all I needed. Tender is exactly 8 studs long, so in theory could fit a battery box.  It also looks like there isn't a proper "back" to it. 

12 minutes ago, rahziel said:

2018 is becoming a good year to lego train fans, we wanted more of course, but give us material to moc at least, hehehe...

Sources like brickfinder talk about 801 pieces at USD$79.99

*Removed text to shorten*

40346824800_1aca4b5073_o.jpg

40348518690_7757f1c366_o.jpg

42155514321_de8b72c950_o.png

42155517931_0c7d1e9f67_o.jpg

42155514701_945be67253_o.png

This post by @rahziel in a separate thread he created gives some more useful angles/photos! (Especially the 3rd pic in my opinion...)

Really liking the way things are shaping up! Too many great sets this year in general!