ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

13 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Just noticed the 1x2 cheese slopes - I think that confirms another receiver of exactly the same shape and size, which I'm NOT happy about.

It's possible it was originally designed for the original PF in mind, and never got around to changing the design

1 minute ago, Goldenmasamune said:

It's possible it was originally designed for the original PF in mind, and never got around to changing the design

Actually, looking at it again, it looks like those cheese slopes are to make room for the hinge for the canopy

From Hoth bricks.

nothing new, but seems to confirm only one switch in the cargo train

More interesting for fans of LEGO CITY trains, the two sets planned for this summer and also already referenced at amazon are presented during the event: 60197 Passenger Train (677 pieces) and 60198 Cargo Train (1226 pieces).
We do not distinguish much on the two photos below, except perhaps the Bluetooth remote controls (Power Functions 2.0) placed on the table ... But as it was necessary so far to be content with preliminary visuals from the catalog 2018 for resellers, it's always better than nothing.
I give you below the official descriptions of these two boxes.
60197 Passenger Train
Immediate departure for the LEGO® City 60197 remote-controlled passenger train!
This fun set includes a motorized locomotive with a 10-speed Bluetooth remote control, an opening train front, a driver's cab with an opening window, 2 cars with removable roof, seating and tables, a circuit complete oval with 16 curved rails and 4 straight rails, as well as a buildable dock with 2 seats and a map of rail services, train signage and 4 LEGO figures.
60198 Cargo Train
The powerful LEGO® City 60198 remote-controlled freight train is loaded, it just has to go!
This fun LEGO City set includes a motorized locomotive with a 10-speed Bluetooth remote control, a driver's cab, a crane wagon with an extendable and rotating pole, a container car with 2 containers, a log car, a vehicle with doors armored cars that open, a forklift truck with a complete safety cage and forks.
This LEGO set also includes a complete oval circuit with 16 curved rails, 16 straight rails and a switch with lever, a control center with a ladder and 2 pallets to build with banknotes, gold bars, a scooter. Snow and 6 LEGO figures.

15 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

From Hoth bricks.

nothing new, but seems to confirm only one switch in the cargo train

Whoa, 16 straight rails. No wonder it's gonna be $250.

You want information? Here you have some: :)

At the moment, the new PF-Power element are stricktly related to the train.

There is the new battery pack, which is quite similar to the previous one, besde the fact it is also the "receiver" for the Bluetooth.
There is the new train motor, which is quite similar to the previous one too BUT with the new cable, which is of a RJ (same of Mindostorm and EV3) type
There is the new remote control which is operate by Bluetooth
There is an APP (both for iOS and Android) which is still work-in-progress and which will let you to control the train via smartphone or tablet, like the one that has already been developed and released for DUPLO train

Courtesy of my fellow ambassador Francisco Frangioa from BrianzaLUG, who saw those at fair in Milano, Italy.

He also said that connector is NOT compatible with Boost, but EV3.

On 2018. 05. 09. at 8:06 AM, Capparezza said:

The engine of the freight train looks good. But the waggons are so damn short! Same can be said of the passenger train, the waggons are just too short... but there's no engino to make for it in this set :hmpf_bad:

I think the telescopic armed crane is supposed to be in the middle of the two cargo wagons so that it can load and unload (i.e. reach) both. This might be the reason for the length of those wagons.

For German speaking users, there's an article here.

Here are the images, there's no confidential stamp on thgem, so it should be fine to post them.

lego-city-passagierzug-60197-2018.jpg

lego-city-gueterzug-60198-2018.jpg

Edited by legotownlinz

I like the look of the cargo train. The passenger train is alright on looks for me personally but I'll still probably get it when it gets discounted.

What angers me though is that Lego makes you but two expensive train sets to have a full train. They know that trains aren't as popular as they used to, so why make it harder for parents buy trains for their children seeing they have to buy two!?

My thoughts,

-RailCo

I'm liking the passenger train.  I don't think I need to get two sets like I did with Horizon Express. There are many prototypes with just an engine and two passenger cars on railpictures.net. 

32 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

I'm liking the passenger train.  I don't think I need to get two sets like I did with Horizon Express. There are many prototypes with just an engine and two passenger cars on railpictures.net. 

I'm with you; I also think these cars will be fairly easy to replicate (or at least close enough) to make a longer train.

I understand that the passenger train looks incomplete, but for train collectors who want a decent train it's actually an advantage. I had to buy the current high speed train three times: The first one to get the two engines and one coach, and another two sets to get another four coaches (the parts from the two engines and be used to build one coach). So I finally had two engines and five coaches. With two of the new sets, you get two engines and four coaches, which should be fine.

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I wonder why the person taking the photos used a camera phone from the early 2000s?

Well, the position of the camera is also very high (compare persons in background). I would not wonder if the photos have been taken with one of thoose spy-cameras that are inbuild in glasses/googles. Could be an explanation also for the low-quality.....

In Nürnberg it was not allowed to take pictures. Did anyone know if it was the same at the mentioned event in Italy? Found new information that the toyfair was in Russia, not Italy....

Edited by BrickMusher
Changed Italy to Russia due to new infos

1 hour ago, Rail Co said:

I like the look of the cargo train. The passenger train is alright on looks for me personally but I'll still probably get it when it gets discounted.

What angers me though is that Lego makes you but two expensive train sets to have a full train. They know that trains aren't as popular as they used to, so why make it harder for parents buy trains for their children seeing they have to buy two!?

My thoughts,

-RailCo

You've got it backwards—the real question is why would they make a set twice as expensive just so that a train is "complete" when a "half train" with only one engine will suffice for most families' purposes?

With one engine per set, you still get a complete play experience with minimal repetition in the build. That's probably what the majority of buyers (especially kids) will be most interested in. For hardcore train fans, the option to "double up" to get a complete train with two engines, twice as many cars, and double the track remains, without having to price the set itself out of the casual consumer's price range.

53 minutes ago, BrickMusher said:

Well, the position of the camera is also very high (compare persons in background). I would not wonder if the photos have been taken with one of thoose spy-cameras that are inbuild in glasses/googles. Could be an explanation also for the low-quality.....

In Nürnberg it was not allowed to take pictures. Did anyone know if it was the same at the mentioned event in Italy? Found new information that the toyfair was in Russia, not Italy....

Oh, Russia, that explains it. The probably purposely took low quality images just to mess with everyone

On 5/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, Cwetqo said:

Courtesy of my fellow ambassador Francisco Frangioa from BrianzaLUG, who saw those at fair in Milano, Italy.

Thank you so much for sharing this! So EV3 huh? That's interesting. Now we'll just have to wait and see what's in store for the rest of the power functions components...

14 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Found new information that the toyfair was in Russia, not Italy....

It's not Russia, it's that pictures were found on instagram of Russian person. 

On 11/05/2018 at 3:41 AM, Cwetqo said:

He has since said he isn't 100% sure if it was a EV3 connector or a Boost connector. So the waiting game continues

On 5/12/2018 at 1:01 AM, legotownlinz said:

I understand that the passenger train looks incomplete, but for train collectors who want a decent train it's actually an advantage. I had to buy the current high speed train three times: The first one to get the two engines and one coach, and another two sets to get another four coaches (the parts from the two engines and be used to build one coach). So I finally had two engines and five coaches. With two of the new sets, you get two engines and four coaches, which should be fine.

Adult Lego train fans are hard to please... I bought 2 sets of 60051 and needs parts to modify into a 4 cabins 2 engines train. I think I would be happy to just buy 2 sets of 60197 to have the same. In fact, I would have a spare PF if I didn't need to run on 2 PFs like 60051 (needed 2 PFs for Horizon Express!) On the other hand, if I'm happy with just a 3 carriage train, I would grumble ... yeah ... adult Lego train fans are hard to please ...

Dammit we won't be pleased unless we get a creator expert Big Boy steam engine, with extra buyable carriages that is compatible with powerfunctions and 9v

11 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Dammit we won't be pleased unless we get a creator expert Big Boy steam engine, with extra buyable carriages that is compatible with powerfunctions and 9v

That would be like the best possible outcome.  But (sorry to seem so negative) what's the chance of that?

A passenger train that looks like an EMU, only with one front. And again a new prefab design. They could do it in the past, why can't they do it now?

Hard to please? I don't know. The red passenger train (7938) looks awesome compared to this, even 60051 looks more complete. Not counting the Horizon Express, this is the first passenger train since the 9V era that looks unfinished to me.

Hmm, I'm a little happy to see that the front piece of the passenger train is not an exact copy of the last 60051, and as said before, in my opinion its better to have 1 loco and two carriages than the previous passenger train configuration. Allows more construction. Sad note to see that the new carriages are copys of the previous, nothing a couple of changes cant fix :D
Then there is the will to support the theme and buy them in the first wave, but damn, the sets don't appear to be so appealing to me... probably will wait for the discount, or not...