ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

It appears you get enough tracks to make circle with that Heartlake City Resort set people mover.   :classic:

Hey guys there has been pictures of the new trains leaked on instagram! Quite like the look of the new passenger train!

1 hour ago, Heppy9 said:

Hey guys there has been pictures of the new trains leaked on instagram! Quite like the look of the new passenger train!

Wow!  I wonder if those vehicles that come with the freight train are meant to ride on the tracks as they are displayed in the leaked photos?  

The passenger train looks a LOT different than I expected based on the older grainy leaked photos.

To me, both trains look stubbier than I expected, although that might be an illusion caused by the camera lens or angle of the photo.

I'm looking forward to seeing the official photos to see these trains from all sides.

1 hour ago, Heppy9 said:

Search for #legoleaks if you're not already following them. I see the new BT controller is shown too. I find both sets underwhelming and doubt I'll get either. Off to BL to order parts for some of my MOC cars instead.

The passenger train looks more impressive than it did on the preliminary pics. The stickers on the front towards the front of the cab really improve the look of the train.

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

The passenger train looks more impressive than it did on the preliminary pics. The stickers on the front towards the front of the cab really improve the look of the train.

Agreed!   I like the way the Transit symbol is integrated into the striping which then flows through the length of the locomotive.  Glad TLG decided to cover most of the side of the nose with the sticker.  Much smoother transition now.

Although, I think the way the grilles on the locomotive are presented in that picture makes it look like that side wasn't built properly.   Prelim photos used a much better transition, with the angled plates ahead of the grill.  It doesn't flow as well when the angled plates are to the rear of the grilles.

Edit:  Added paragraph on grilles.

Edited by icemorons
Added paragraph on grilles.

Just had a look at the leaked Instagram photos. The passenger train looks like a poor imitation of the Horizon Express - I think i’ll give it a miss...

The cargo train still looks interesting though and i’ll def be picking that up to get my hands on the new PF2 gear.  

Speaking of which - the PF2 Bluetooth controllers look like they may have smooth sliders rather than the old stepped ratcheting control mechanism of the current PF controllers - thumbs up from me if that’s correct.

Do the coaches on the passenger train look like they're just a recolour of the middle of 60051?

The side of the loco looks like there's a 4x12 panel sideways mounted to hide the battery box, but they're put the wrong panel on each side, reversing them and breaking the colour flow. There's a similar 4x12 patch on the green loco.

Perhaps the battery box is a touch wider than 4 studs and has studs on the sides? 

Given what's visible of the buffer stop in the freight set, it's possible its sprung. That is, cars hitting it can be bounced back some.

The track count on the freight set is also odd. I'd expect there the be a right hand point, two more straights and two more curves. Lego hasn't had a set with a single points that I can remember, nor a set where straights weren't a multiple of four. (There's six visible in the picture).

57 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

Do the coaches on the passenger train look like they're just a recolour of the middle of 60051?

Yes, spot on.  I don't consider that a disappointment because I think the coaches work quite well.

58 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

The side of the loco looks like there's a 4x12 panel sideways mounted to hide the battery box, but they're put the wrong panel on each side, reversing them and breaking the colour flow.

Yes, these panels are reversed from the image on the preliminary box image for 60197.
Also, it looks like they changed the train's primary color from yellow to orange.

59 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

The track count on the freight set is also odd. I'd expect there the be a right hand point, two more straights and two more curves. Lego hasn't had a set with a single points that I can remember, nor a set where straights weren't a multiple of four. (There's six visible in the picture).

It looks like there's at least eight straights on the preliminary box image for 60198 and only one switch left; no switch right is visible in either that box pic or this newer picture.
How odd!

All-in-all, I quite like the 60197 Passenger Train and will likely pick it up as I don't have any others.
The 60198 Freight Train is likely a skip for me since I recently acquired the 60052 Cargo Train.

1 minute ago, lomis said:

Also, it looks like they changed the train's primary color from yellow to orange.

It looks like there's at least eight straights on the preliminary box image for 60198 and only one switch left; no switch right is visible in either that box pic or this newer picture.
How odd!

Is it orange or flame yellow?

It looked yellow in the early leaks and orange now. I'd prefer yellow (regular or flame)...

Maybe they'll add the other switch to next year's extra cargo train (assuming there will be one like before)?

1 hour ago, Chromeknight said:

Is it orange or flame yellow?

The colour might be hard to tell because on my phone at least the track looks almost black so might be a filter on the photo or something.

That controller looks interesting! 

Maybe it's just the pictures, but so far that passenger train looks really really bad. i guess it looks better than the preliminary photos, but otherwise it just looks ugly. 

Still unsure on the cargo train. It looks really similar to 7898, which I've already converted to Power Functions. 

31 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Still unsure on the cargo train. It looks really similar to 7898, which I've already converted to Power Functions. 

Indeed! I've been planning to assemble 7898 (probably via bricklink as I don't own original, and I dont need full set, just loco and crane wagon) with power functions, but now I wonder whether I should get new one instead...

PS. @Goldenmasamune any links to details of your conversion?

Edited by Bartosz

5 minutes ago, Bartosz said:

Indeed! I've been planning to assemble 7898 (probably via bricklink as I don't own original, and I dont need full set, just loco and crane wagon) with power functions, but now I wonder whether I should get new one instead...

PS. @Goldenmasamune any links to details of your conversion?

i'm kind of embarrassed about the quality of the photos.  

That's going to be a tricky job getting the cab sticker straight to line up perfectly with the rest of the Passenger Train engine livery.

And in the photo at the train stop there are 3 minifigs. Will this come with 3 or 4 minifigs with the blonde female the train driver in a new train company uniform but it kind of looks more like a 'Barista' uniform so is she from a buffet service? and the driver is hidden on the train?

Should be official pics soon

Edited by scottwb2010

The engine of the freight train looks good. But the waggons are so damn short! Same can be said of the passenger train, the waggons are just too short... but there's no engino to make for it in this set :hmpf_bad:

Just noticed the 1x2 cheese slopes - I think that confirms another receiver of exactly the same shape and size, which I'm NOT happy about.

19 hours ago, scottwb2010 said:

That's going to be a tricky job getting the cab sticker straight to line up perfectly with the rest of the Passenger Train engine livery.

And in the photo at the train stop there are 3 minifigs. Will this come with 3 or 4 minifigs with the blonde female the train driver in a new train company uniform but it kind of looks more like a 'Barista' uniform so is she from a buffet service? and the driver is hidden on the train?

Should be official pics soon

Quoting my own question about the 3 minifigs on the platform and specifically the blonde minifg, having looked closer at the coaches of the passenger train and the stickers on the windows, the first coach (nearest the engine) would appear to have a sticker that might indicate a buffet car and the second coach has stickers that look like a reclining seat so it looks more like the blonde minifig has the 'barista' minifig outfit which coincidentally has appeared in the winter village Holiday Train and Train station. 

6 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Just noticed the 1x2 cheese slopes - I think that confirms another receiver of exactly the same shape and size, which I'm NOT happy about.

Not sure I agree... Two thoughts. 1) Can't see the reciever anywhere 2) Lego might build it in a way to allow for the old receiver / power box.

Dunno, really hoping the receiver is gone, so maybe I'm just seeing what I want...

@LegoMonorailFan - here’s some speculation on the PF2 gear from a few pages back which you may have missed. The linked blog post is well worth a read.

On 25/03/2018 at 7:48 PM, ElectroDiva said:

Here’s an interesting blog post on Power Functions 2.0 with a mixture of “confirmed” info from the Nuremberg toy fair and speculation (including photoshopped mockups of the PF 2.0 battery box/controller):

https://ramblingbrick.com/2018/02/01/all-aboard-power-functions-2-0-with-bluetooth-announced-at-nuremberg-toy-fair-rampant-speculation-follows/

Most interesting from my perspective is the confirmation there will be a Physical Bluetooth controller and an “adaptor to allow retrofitting the new battery box” - great news if true.

With regard to the physical controller, hopefully this will allow control of multiple Bluetooth devices in the same way as the current IR controller. 

With regard to the adaptor - that should mean we can keep using the existing train motor and simply connect it to the PF 2.0 battery box/receiver with an adaptor. I also suspect the new train motor may essentially be the same as the old one with just a new PF 2.0 lead.