ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

5 minutes ago, *thomas* said:

Still, I have the feeling LEGO has 'upped' the piece count by adding loads of small pieces, something they have been doing often the last couple of years, but which isn't always asked for.

I think I would rather have more small pieces than few big pieces. You can do more with more small ones. You can't do much with the front/rear giant pieces in the current 60051 passenger train. Granted the price goes up for more smaller pieces, but with more smaller pieces typically there is more detail.

5 hours ago, ALCO said:

Granted the price goes up for more smaller pieces, but with more smaller pieces typically there is more detail.

Or more useful to part out the set :)

14 hours ago, ALCO said:

I think I would rather have more small pieces than few big pieces. You can do more with more small ones. You can't do much with the front/rear giant pieces in the current 60051 passenger train. Granted the price goes up for more smaller pieces, but with more smaller pieces typically there is more detail.

I agree that when parting out a set or using it for mocs, small pieces can be very handy, but, the last cargo train was a well designed set with enough detail for the adience the LEGO group targets...

The LEGO metroliner f.i. also used premoulded fronts and did not have a very high piece count, still, it was a good looking set.

3 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

60238 is a switching tracks set priced 19.99€.

Any information about what is different from 7895?   Have they changed geometry, or merely the number of tracks included in the set?   7895 had 1-left and 1-right switch track, in addition to 4 standard R-40 curves.

edit:  Or, is this not a train-track set, but a coaster-track set?   (Just thought about this after seeing posts about a rumored new fairground coaster set...)

Edited by icemorons

I suspect it's more likely to be a train-track set than a coaster-track set. I also doubt they'll have changed the geometry; why would they need to spend loads of money on new molds, when the old ones are fine? If anything has changed at all, it will most likely be the quantities of each track part. Hopefully, the new one has less flex-track :laugh:! But it's all hopeless speculation.

What if it's stubby switches, quarter straights and half curves!? That might explain why they are going up in price by like $10 USD.

29 minutes ago, ALCO said:

What if it's stubby switches, quarter straights and half curves!? That might explain why they are going up in price by like $10 USD.

But Brickset lists the current, 7895, with RRP of 19.99€, so the same.

On 13/04/2018 at 6:36 PM, ALCO said:

Granted the price goes up for more smaller pieces, but with more smaller pieces typically there is more detail.

Choosing (too) many large pieces wouldn't make sense, as this was part of the demise in the early 2000's. I know from a source connected to the company that their research at that time showed that most people only build their model once and don't take it apart (true for me as well!), so I guess they didn't understood the point of small pieces. Clearly they missed the point of Lego there and though to save the company they would have to save production costs by making more large pieces.  Sorry if this is very off topic. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a way back to brick built fronts, as I'm sure the current fronts of the ICE look-a-like can not be fitted by anyone under 7 or 8. Even I find it difficult. If it is done for easy build for younger folks, it misses the point.

33 minutes ago, Bartosz said:

But Brickset lists the current, 7895, with RRP of 19.99€, so the same.

19.99€ is roughly $25 USD. And 7895 in the US is selling for $15.99. But as I think I about it, maybe they are making stubby switches and filling the rest with flex-track...which I guess would make more sense. Still, there seems to me to be an increase in price by almost $10.

4 hours ago, ALCO said:

19.99€ is roughly $25 USD. And 7895 in the US is selling for $15.99. But as I think I about it, maybe they are making stubby switches and filling the rest with flex-track...which I guess would make more sense. Still, there seems to me to be an increase in price by almost $10.

Well, since the rumored new 60205 track pack has straights (8), flex (8), and curves (4), perhaps they've removed curves from the upcoming 60238?   What would make the most sense if if they put two pairs of the existing left- and right- switches (points) in the 60238 package.    What I'd hope for is a pair of existing left- and right- parallel-track switches, and a pair of new diverging left- and right- switches (like the ones some 3rd parties are 3D printing now).    However, given TLG's previous track-record in bundling "things you want" with "things you don't want", into the same package, rather than selling each separately (think road baseplates, or the existing 7499 or 7895 track packs), I'd bet we'll get merely a pair of the existing switches, 8 flex, and a price increase...  

23 hours ago, ALCO said:

19.99€ is roughly $25 USD. And 7895 in the US is selling for $15.99.

God bless America. Here's another good example.

How about we wait until decent pictures before complaining LEGO just threw some small pieces to drive up cost. I mean would you Europeans be happier if LEGO threw in some big pieces, like dinosaurs, to drive the cost through the roof? :tongue:

I bought some switch track for $9 just last week. I didn't understand why it had 4 curved track, would have made more sense to be two curved and two straight. I would love if they changed the switches to ones with studs, but I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Maple said:

I didn't understand why it had 4 curved track, would have made more sense to be two curved and two straight.

The straight & curved track each come in fours.

12 hours ago, Maple said:

I would love if they changed the switches to ones with studs, but I doubt it.

What are switches with studs?

4 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

There are 8 pieces in 60238.

Therefore I expect there with be 2 points,2 point levers and 4 curves - but isn't that the same as 7895-1?  

12 hours ago, Dav1d said:

Therefore I expect there with be 2 points,2 point levers and 4 curves - but isn't that the same as 7895-1?  

I'd concur, it sounds exactly like what's currently in 7895.   The only plausible reason I can think of is to update the packaging/graphics, or the insert/instructions printing.   7895 has to be the longest-tenure continually available set on the market.   Think about it:  It's been around since 2006--that's more than 12 years on the market.  It's lasted from the original RC-era trains until now, three complete train-release generations.   Although it seems that TLG may have done a mid-run back-of-box graphics refresh at one point (or more), since I have an unopened 7895 box that features 60050, 60051, and 60052 featured on the back panel.   I have several 7499 boxes, two with the most recent 6005x, and another one with the 7938/7939, so apparently there have been mid-run refreshes.    Maybe TLG decided they wanted to be done with the 4-digit set numbers, since everything else is 5-digit (or longer)?

On 4/8/2018 at 12:59 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

60196 is listed as "Station" via brickmerge.

We saw the leaked retailer catalogue about two (?) months ago and there this set number wasn't listed. But I remember last year when the Hot Chocolate Van in the Friends theme hadn't been listed in the reailer cataogue and pics did show up very late, too. And finally it went out to be a regular set and was in the customers catalogue for summer. So what do you think?

Thanks for the info, dimaks13! :classic:

(I didn't see anyone post this yet)   It is neither Superman or a train ...  official set images were released today for 60196.  It is a plane ("Arctic Supply Aircraft"). 

1 hour ago, SpaceTwinky said:

(I didn't see anyone post this yet)   It is neither Superman or a train ...  official set images were released today for 60196.  It is a plane ("Arctic Supply Aircraft"). 

Does anyone know, are there any outstanding product numbers left over that could potentially be a train station? Or should we all now be giving up hope.

39 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Does anyone know, are there any outstanding product numbers left over that could potentially be a train station? Or should we all now be giving up hope.

Besides train and track sets there's at least one unknown set related to trains.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:36 PM, ALCO said:

I agree within reason.  There have been a few sets where I have thought, wow, 1,000 pieces, that's great.  Then realised that half of them are cheese slopes and the final model is tiny.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, sed6 said:

What are switches with studs?

There are none. I'm saying LEGO should make a new switch the track piece that had studs on it, or a technic pin or something.