ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

6 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I can 100% guarantee you it's some time between April 3rd 2018, and December 31st 2018

Ok thanks. I'll mark that in my diary. :laugh:

On 02/04/2018 at 6:04 PM, 3797 said:

Once you've got the kids covered, make a Creator Expert train every 3 or 4 years.

More often than that!  They're the best ones.

18 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

60197 - 677 pcs;

60198 - 1226.

Where did you find this out?

Also, since I can't remember when, how long before the set is released does it appear on a) Lego.   and b) Brickset

I found the following on http://jedijacpenguin.com/everythingweknowaboutLEGO2018.htm , but I don't know where that website got its information.   The Cargo train piece count is the same as above, but the passenger one differs...

Set 8 : 60197 - {? Passenger Train ?} - Includes 707 pcs, 2+ Minifigs? - $TBA / 129.99 or 149.99

Set 9 : 60198 - {? Cargo Train ?} - Includes 1226 pcs, 8 Minifigs? - $TBA / €249.99

249€ for the cargo train would be insane. 60052 is a vastly superior set that doesn't sell at 179€. Mine cost 139€ years ago. Nowadays I can get it for 128€ shipped.

Here's how much people appreciate the included truck:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEGO-aus-60052-City-Guterzug-Eisenbahn-Lastwagen-NEU-ungeoffnete-OVP/173071443299?hash=item284bdca563:g:UB4AAOSw~HBaS~M~

Resellers can't even sell that thing for 8€ shipped.

Since they won't have to include a receiver anymore and BT tech is dirt cheap nowadays, there really is no reason why the new cargo train should be more than 159€. Actually, make that 149€.

2 hours ago, 3797 said:

Since they won't have to include a receiver anymore and BT tech is dirt cheap nowadays, there really is no reason why the new cargo train should be more than 159€. Actually, make that 149€.

Would be fair to state that IR tech more expensive than BT?

Regardless, IR receiver is not *just* a receiver. It sends PWM signals to motor, so it's sort of a receiver-controller.

12 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Regardless, IR receiver is not *just* a receiver. It sends PWM signals to motor, so it's sort of a receiver-controller.

Agreed. Plus don’t forget the cost of research, testing, certification, new part mounds, production runs etc etc.

The old IR piece was probably a cash cow with all the sets it’s been in, these new bits need to recoupe the investment, especially as they are first out (before being included in any Technic)

@dylanfarrow - bluetooth is a pretty widely available, commoditised (and hence cheap) technology.

Unless it has has some bells and whistles we aren’t aware of yet, the only significant cost I would expect for TLG for PF2.0 would be the cost of the new moulds.

Like Apple though, I fully expect TLG to see this as an opportunity to disproportionately increase the cost of their power functions parts for PF 2.0 - I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they were double the cost of the equivalent PF 1.0 parts. 

I’ve been stocking up on PF1 train parts in anticipation of that...

18 hours ago, icemorons said:

but the passenger one differs...

That's because the one who made that list accidentally pasted 60196 piece count for 60197 too.

16 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Of course it would be fair to state that. Anything else would be a lie.

A Raspberry PI Zero W has a MSRP of $10. That is a complete mini computer that has BT built in. By putting the receiver in the battery box they don't have to produce the shell for the old IR receiver anymore, need less wires, need less connectors and less screws. It'll be easier to assemble and save them packaging, shipping, storage and handling costs, too. That battery box will be in many sets over the next 10 years, so making that one new mould will pay off qickly.

I feel that asking 249€ for the new cargo train would be the final nail in the coffin for the trains theme. Especially when parents remember seeing 60052 with a price tag of 139€.

Just now, *thomas* said:

249€? Tell me that's a joke...

That was the first supposed price. Actual price is 189.99€.

8 minutes ago, dimaks13 said:

Actual price is 189.99€.

That sounds a lot more realistic. I'll wait for a decent discount, though. I'll have to see the parts list before making a decision, anyway.

189€ = Creator Expert Diner + 40€ that I could spend on PF2 spares

Looks as if the Diner has more than twice as many parts as the train that is supposed to be 40€ more expensive.

8 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

That's because the one who made that list accidentally pasted 60196 piece count for 60197 too.

Curiously, though, there have been no prior references to any set 60196 existing from any other sources.  That number had been skipped between the big new Arctic set 60195 and the 60197 passenger train.   Fitting previous train release patterns, it would make sense for 60196 to be a station, but there's been no whiff of any such release this time around.    ...Unless you know something?

27 minutes ago, icemorons said:

...Unless you know something?

It's an exclusive Arctic plane.

Edited by dimaks13

60196 is listed as "Station" via brickmerge.

We saw the leaked retailer catalogue about two (?) months ago and there this set number wasn't listed. But I remember last year when the Hot Chocolate Van in the Friends theme hadn't been listed in the reailer cataogue and pics did show up very late, too. And finally it went out to be a regular set and was in the customers catalogue for summer. So what do you think?

On 3.4.2018 at 6:45 PM, dimaks13 said:

60197 - 677 pcs;

60198 - 1226.

Thanks for the info, dimaks13! :classic:

5 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

60196 is listed as "Station" via brickmerge.

It was a guess or something, 60196 is definitely an Arctic set.

On 8.4.2018 at 12:56 PM, dimaks13 said:

It was a guess or something, 60196 is definitely an Arctic set.

Do you know for sure that it has this set number? Because 60189 (the set number before all the regular sold Arctic sets) is still vacant, too.

30 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Do you know for sure that it has this set number? Because 60189 (the set number before all the regular sold Arctic sets) is still vacant, too.

Ye, it's surely this one.

6 hours ago, ALCO said:

Maybe it's an Arctic train!

Doubt it, but a train would be neat with one of these exploration sub-themes!! 

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It's a train, it's a plane, no, it's Superman! :laugh: 

Haha!! That was great man!

If the old Cargo Trains have 750-800 pieces and cost $200USD then it makes sense a 1200 piece train would cost 250 Euro, $280-$300USD.

Not that I like that, but I have seen the current trains for 40%+ off so whatever. By the time the new trains come out maybe we can get the old ones for 50%+ off. :)

Still, I have the feeling LEGO has 'upped' the piece count by adding loads of small pieces, something they have been doing often the last couple of years, but which isn't always asked for.