ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

1 hour ago, wooster said:

The reference was to "seats".  Where in Harry Potter are "seats" important?  The Great Hall is one such place as there are seats at the dining tables, and we already know we are getting a Great Hall set this summer.  Where else are seats an important element to the site or scene?  Trains!!!!

"small straw to clutch at" indeed.  But there are pages and pages of discussion and speculation on this site predicated on much smaller straws than this :)

Don't forget about the Ford Anglia...  It would have seats.

6 hours ago, wooster said:

The reference was to "seats".  Where in Harry Potter are "seats" important?  The Great Hall is one such place as there are seats at the dining tables, and we already know we are getting a Great Hall set this summer.  Where else are seats an important element to the site or scene?  Trains!!!!

"small straw to clutch at" indeed.  But there are pages and pages of discussion and speculation on this site predicated on much smaller straws than this :)

Agree - It’s actually quite a big straw by EB standards..

An updated Hogwarts Express is a no brainier for a rebooted HP theme.

My guess is with the winter village train having had its second outing and destined for retirement, they may go for a HE set this Christmas for that sweet crossover appeal 

I don't know... with already 4 versions of the Hogwart's I don't expect another new release. Not to say that I would be happy about it, anyways. Like I said before, even if it was just for the train parts.

@Capparezza - repetition of “iconic” vehicles never seems to be a problem in other licensed themes - how many X-wings, Millenium Falcons and Batmobiles have we had now?

I think Hogwarts Express can be seen in a similar light

Just now, ElectroDiva said:

@Capparezza - repetition of “iconic” vehicles never seems to be a problem in other licensed themes - how many X-wings, Millenium Falcons and Batmobiles have we had now?

I think Hogwarts Express can be seen in a similar light

I agree, it doesn't really matter how many versions they've done in the past. If they do release a new Hogwarts Express, they will will be aiming it at children who weren't around when the last versions were sold.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is that they will release a new version. As I mentioned before, I don't know much about the films but surely, doing a Harry Potter theme without a Hogwarts Express would be a bit like doing Star Wars without a Millennium Falcon.

11 hours ago, wooster said:

Have you guys been following the "Harry Potter 2018 Rumors and Discussion" thread?  There's a guy on there that claims to be a Lego designer that worked on the Harry Potter sets.  His forum name is Nabii.  He is answering some of the questions there regarding the recently revealed HP sets. Look on pages 77 and 78 for his comments.  Very interesting answers (assuming you believe this guy/girl is legit).  Anyhow, below is a question he answered in regards to the minifig legs that might be relevant to our train discussion.  Could he be referencing train seats in that last sentence?

"- How did you choose to make "child variants" of the kids? Was it to save space or to reach another audience (because they look soooo adorable!)?"

This was a huge discussion in the design team- some of us wanted full sized legs, others wanted kids legs as in the first couple of movies they were definitely kids. And it was not to save space or anything, it actually introduced all kinds of challenges about how to let them 'sit' at tables and in seats and things. (I almost talked about other sets there... sneaky fans!)

Nabii is Mark Stafford who designs a lot of mechs in Lego sets amongst other things, he is also famous for killing teal and is indeed a Lego designer. There is a sticker in one of the Alien Conquest sets with his tag on it;

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=109559

Interestingly the great hall set seems to have short legs, and if that is the way they have decided to go with all of these sets there is no way those figures could sit in a train seat. That suggests to me there is no Hogwarts express in the works unless they are going to have different legs in that set, which would be inconsistent with the known set.

16 hours ago, wooster said:

I believe it’s more likely a reference to the rumoured Ford Anglia to be included with the rumoured Womping Willow set... None of which is even slightly confirmed and I’m only going by chatter on Lego forums so would be very happy to be wrong!

EDIT: just as icemorons says above (I forgot to read all the messages before posting!)

Edited by PeteM

On 22/02/2018 at 9:26 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I agree, it doesn't really matter how many versions they've done in the past. If they do release a new Hogwarts Express, they will will be aiming it at children who weren't around when the last versions were sold.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is that they will release a new version. As I mentioned before, I don't know much about the films but surely, doing a Harry Potter theme without a Hogwarts Express would be a bit like doing Star Wars without a Millennium Falcon.

I think it’s pretty much a nailed on certainty that there *will* be another Hogwarts Express at some stage - the golden question is just when.

I think they may go for it either this Christmas or next Christmas to appeal to the holiday train market as well as HP fans

I never said they wouldn't do it because they've done it before.  The simple fact that they've done it more than once and I linked to the several versions was enough to show that I know TLG is happy to hit repeat.  My point was in response to a comment which suggested TLG would want to do HE, as if they never had before.

I'd take a HE, though I'd remove the HP features.  I've just seen zero evidence it's coming again.  Though I'd much prefer a mid-blue Class A4.

On 20.2.2018 at 9:00 AM, technic70s said:

If they did bring back The Hogwarts Express at least we will get the windows with rounded corners back. 

39664857154_e98a3cbf0f_m.jpg4513548 by Stephen, on Flickr

I wouldn't bet on it. I wouldn't bet on them ever releasing another train (after the 2018 ones), either. However, if they were to release another Hogwarts Express, then those windows are a must. I'd hate to see them ruining yet another train by cheaping out and using those ugly "Panel 1 x 4 x 3" or "Panel 1 x 2 x 2" as windows. I'd also like to see them use real train doors in a matching color in order to add play value. For the AFOLs they could simply add a little brick built structure that can be swapped out.

You can't imagine how much I'd love to be able to buy train doors and windows in dark green. I've been waiting for those ever since they introduced the new colors.

On 20/02/2018 at 8:00 AM, technic70s said:

If they did bring back The Hogwarts Express at least we will get the windows with rounded corners back. 

39664857154_e98a3cbf0f_m.jpg4513548 by Stephen, on Flickr

Do you think we'd get this too?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4035&name=Window 1 x 2 x 3 Train&category=[Window]#T=S&C=5&O={"color":"5","iconly":0}

They match, so ....

On 2/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, 3797 said:

IYou can't imagine how much I'd love to be able to buy train doors and windows in dark green. I've been waiting for those ever since they introduced the new colors.

I'd be happy just to see them in normal green. I've asked designers about those and they said kids don't see green as an exciting colour so that's probably why they have never been produced. Our best bet is probably a direct to consumer set of some type ie creator expert and there is no indication we'll get another train in that line.

A while ago there were some rumours about a new station. Are these rumours still rumours or are they debunked? If still rumours, are there already descriptions about the looks? I haven't seen any relative post in this thread about this subject. BTW, a HP is one thing but I won't be very happy with a HP themed train station although I could understand the logic behind it.

@AlmightyArjen - the rumours are still rumours. I have seen nothing so far to substantiate them but equally have seen nothing to debunk them either.

However, a station in the summer wave would have leaked by now, and a station in the winter wave would clash with the presumed return of the Winter Village Station, so I personally doubt there will be a new station set this year (much as I’d like one)

With regard to a HP themed station - how about a HP themed Kings Cross - would you still be unhappy with that? :tongue: only joking- I doubt we would ever get something like that (again, much as I’d like one..)

Maybe next years Creator Modular building will be a station. I've no idea how they'd make one work as a modular but I know there are a lot of people who would love to see one made. Every year when rumors start circulating about the next Modular it always seems like a railway station is high up on a lot of peoples wish lists.

This has come up before in this thread. 

It does not seem likely at this stage that the Modular building (as in this year’s diner) will be a station because it doesn’t fit in with the floor plan of those buildings.

However, on of the early lists of sets had a ‘modular station’ which, I presume, will be similar to the recent city sets with interchangeable panels. 

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Maybe next years Creator Modular building will be a station. I've no idea how they'd make one work as a modular but I know there are a lot of people who would love to see one made. Every year when rumors start circulating about the next Modular it always seems like a railway station is high up on a lot of peoples wish lists.

This seems unfortunately impossible, there had been a discussion about it here

On 2/27/2018 at 1:05 PM, LegoModularFan said:

This seems unfortunately impossible, there had been a discussion about it here

I've often wondered how a train station could be re-created as a Modular building and the only way I can think it would work is if it was made as a station terminus with the platforms extending away from the back of the building. Please excuse this very crude and rough image below, I've just knocked this together to try and show what I mean.

40474981962_9c8c7e1e85_z_d.jpg

The building itself wouldn't necessarily have to look anything like this and it wouldn't need to have the canopy over the platforms, it's just intended as rough illustration and to show how this general concept could be made to fit in to a modular street.

I don't for one second think Lego would ever release a set like this as part of their Creator Modular range though. The set would end up being absolutely huge and no doubt very expensive. Also the best part of the building is at the back which would seem odd for a modular.

None the less I think if I was going to create my own MOC of a modular station, this is probably the way I would approach it.

Edited by Bricked1980

Wow, your station is absolutely beautiful and you definitely need to turn it to an actual MOC@Bricked1980! I’d love to see something like that, but it would be too expensive as you mentioned although that would work. And many people display their modulars on shelves... Let’s wait and see what comes :wink:

On 11/24/2017 at 7:53 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

I can.  Something like the train tunnel here would also be included in the set.

Quoting myself here, as we seem to have come back to it.

What you do is get the modular train station from Lego IDEAS(or something of that type):

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/879f2041-22ea-4b06-9e34-ed074c4ce83a

and have this train tunnel above, done much better, much less crowded, with an actual gap in existence either side of the tunnel.  Fit these either side of a block of modular buildings, with the station in the middle, and wow it's amazing it works really well and looks really good.  That's just a solution of mine that I haven't actually used, but just seen.  I prefer the one seen above, however, as it's BIGGER and BETTER.  That one could have modular buildings going along the two long sides, and have a big set of tunnels at the very end, with a level crossing for the road.

NOTE: This isn't mine.  It belongs to these people: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/414053

Edited by Vilhelm22

Do i want a Train Station? Yes.

Do i want a Train Station connected to the other modulars? No.

I think a Creator Expert Train Station should be a stand alone building. If it was connected to other modulars, the train track would be hard to place, whether it would be in front of the train station, behind or sideway.

7 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Do i want a Train Station? Yes.

Do i want a Train Station connected to the other modulars? No.

I think a Creator Expert Train Station should be a stand alone building. If it was connected to other modulars, the train track would be hard to place, whether it would be in front of the train station, behind or sideway.

This.