ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

If done properly, i.e. with proper steam wheels and in dark red, unlike the previous version 4841, I think it would be a really quite good set. I presume it would be a model of the locomotive used in the films, GWR Hall class 5972 Olton Hall, which would be quite nice to MOD back into dark green. If TLG does it at all though, how likely is it we see something looking similar to the last edition?

15 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I feel a fancy frog wart train is better than nothing

Definitely. I'm really hoping they do release one now, which of course means they won't. As has become my motto recently, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by ColletArrow
Poor GWR Knowledge

Fancy Frog Wart Train sounds an idea for an EB Train contest.   :laugh: 

$100 USD would be my price point.  Higher than that I would lean towards MOCing. 

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself is my motto. 

I know we're just speculating and blah-blah-blahing about possibilities, but guys... if you don't want steam, I get it; but if you just don't want Harry Potter, then just think of it as a red 4-6-0 Hall Class steam engine.  Don't put the branding on (if a couple pieces are printed then get the non-printed versions on Bricklink/owl).

My first train love is steam, but I do feel like I have quite enough in LEGO (and my forever-tomorrow layout is a modern city), so I wouldn't mind something else - but I do also like HP, and think a good Hogwarts Express would be "brilliant."  "Good" being on par with EN or better.

As far as price goes, a really good engine/tender for $100 would make me not hesitate to get one, but there'd have to be options to get passenger cars and, I'll repeat, 3-in-1 would be spectacular and I don't want to hear about Sante Fe car failure because that was TLGs marketing department's fault.  I was back into LEGO at the time (for a couple of years) and didn't even know they made "traditional" model trains at all (metal rail with speed regulator) until I saw Railway Express on clearance at Sam's Club.

8 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

...unlike the previous version 4841...

At least that one had window glasses on the coach and decent train wheels :laugh: Makes a very decent parts pack...

@fred67 Hear, hear. Santa Fe was definitely a marketing fault. Restricting it to Shop-At-Home was as well, and more so in a time where shopping through the "Intahwebz" wasn't THE thing... I'm still hoping for a re-release, second hand prices are insane.

Even if you never build it, a nice HP train would be great in a couple of respects. It would be an excellent gateway train set for AFOLs, a nice model to repaint in different colors, and potentially a parts pack for train heads. The one not-so good feature is that while the red engine is lovely in real life, red is a common color in lego-life.

Exactly, even forgetting the "harry potter brand" we're talking about a beautiful steam locomotive :)
With a loco, tender, and a carriage without tracks or pf, would gladly spend 100/120€ at least two times ! :D

2534993_1280x720.jpg

2 minutes ago, rahziel said:

Exactly, even forgetting the "harry potter brand" we're talking about a beautiful steam locomotive :)
With a loco, tender, and a carriage without tracks or pf, would gladly spend 100/120€ at least two times ! :D

And, unlike the last three incarnations, it would most likely be constructed out of Dark Red as opposed to Bright Red!

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

And, unlike the last three incarnations, it would most likely be constructed out of Dark Red as opposed to Bright Red!

I do not like HP at all but a dark red train would be sweet regardless of theme

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

10 hours ago, technic70s said:

If they did bring back The Hogwarts Express at least we will get the windows with rounded corners back.

My only hope would be that they do the set justice by having the train windows in dark red.

Dark red is definitely the right colour for the train and coaches, and it would give more variation in your train colours.  We've had three bright red trains since 2010, and I don't want another.

Edited by Vilhelm22

1 hour ago, M_slug357 said:

My only hope would be that they do the set justice by having the train windows in dark red.

Recolors from these sort of sets are always a great thing, but particularly, I kinda wish the actual Hogwarts Express had wheels that matched its Dark Red livery, insuring such a set wouldn't just be giving us black train wheels again.

I would love to see dark red windows! Also, if TLG were to release a set true-to-the-film, we'd be getting official LEGO BR MK1s; the ubiquitous British passenger coach. Not that there aren't plenty excellent MOC versions, much better than TLG will ever make, already out there.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Recolors from these sort of sets are always a great thing, but particularly, I kinda wish the actual Hogwarts Express had wheels that matched its Dark Red livery, insuring such a set wouldn't just be giving us black train wheels again.

Again, if a set is released true-to-film, black wheels would be more correct. I actually think such a model would look nicer with them anyway, as the later GWR locomotives always had black wheels as far as I know.

As much as I would love for a true-to-film version, I don't really mind if they don't try to make Olton Hall; I think at this point, any steam train is welcome. I've been getting exited over GWR locos now though, I might have to build my own...

13 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Even if you never build it, a nice HP train would be great in a couple of respects. It would be an excellent gateway train set for AFOLs, a nice model to repaint in different colors, and potentially a parts pack for train heads. The one not-so good feature is that while the red engine is lovely in real life, red is a common color in lego-life.

As a children's toy, red would be a more cheerful color than dark red.  As a licensed IP, the IP owners can force LEGO to use the correct color in the T&C's of the license agreement.  :classic:

I think a train aimed at kids like the city trains is more likely than a creator expert sett, but if the D2C Hogwarts sell like hot cakes they will make more D2C in future waves for sure, so it is possible :wink:

18 minutes ago, Myowntrain said:

What does the abbreviation 'D2C' mean?

It means "Direct to Consumer". In other words these are sets that Lego sell exclusively through the Lego stores and not through other retailers.

Have you guys been following the "Harry Potter 2018 Rumors and Discussion" thread?  There's a guy on there that claims to be a Lego designer that worked on the Harry Potter sets.  His forum name is Nabii.  He is answering some of the questions there regarding the recently revealed HP sets. Look on pages 77 and 78 for his comments.  Very interesting answers (assuming you believe this guy/girl is legit).  Anyhow, below is a question he answered in regards to the minifig legs that might be relevant to our train discussion.  Could he be referencing train seats in that last sentence?

"- How did you choose to make "child variants" of the kids? Was it to save space or to reach another audience (because they look soooo adorable!)?"

This was a huge discussion in the design team- some of us wanted full sized legs, others wanted kids legs as in the first couple of movies they were definitely kids. And it was not to save space or anything, it actually introduced all kinds of challenges about how to let them 'sit' at tables and in seats and things. (I almost talked about other sets there... sneaky fans!)

18 minutes ago, wooster said:

Have you guys been following the "Harry Potter 2018 Rumors and Discussion" thread?  There's a guy on there that claims to be a Lego designer that worked on the Harry Potter sets.  His forum name is Nabii.  He is answering some of the questions there regarding the recently revealed HP sets. Look on pages 77 and 78 for his comments.  Very interesting answers (assuming you believe this guy/girl is legit).  Anyhow, below is a question he answered in regards to the minifig legs that might be relevant to our train discussion.  Could he be referencing train seats in that last sentence?

"- How did you choose to make "child variants" of the kids? Was it to save space or to reach another audience (because they look soooo adorable!)?"

This was a huge discussion in the design team- some of us wanted full sized legs, others wanted kids legs as in the first couple of movies they were definitely kids. And it was not to save space or anything, it actually introduced all kinds of challenges about how to let them 'sit' at tables and in seats and things. (I almost talked about other sets there... sneaky fans!)

Yes, this guy is a designer, No if and or buts about it. I've heard of him on multiple sites as he is a former AFOL turned Designer.

Edited by Murdoch17

22 minutes ago, wooster said:

t actually introduced all kinds of challenges about how to let them 'sit' at tables and in seats and things. (I almost talked about other sets there... sneaky fans!)

So did he almost confirm that lego will be doing a new hogwarts express? To be honest I reckon it's extremely likely that they will. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, I've only watched one of the films but even I've heard of the hogwarts express. I'd have thought this is one of the most iconic and likely things from the films that lego would want to produce as a set.

1 minute ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'd have thought this is one of the most iconic and likely things from the films that lego would want to produce as a set.

Indeed.  Which is why they've already done it several times. https://brickset.com/sets?query=hogwarts express

In the absence of any firm evidence, this is all speculation and wishful thinking.  An oblique reference to "tables and chairs" is a pretty small straw to clutch at.

1 hour ago, Zetroc said:

An oblique reference to "tables and chairs" is a pretty small straw to clutch at.

The reference was to "seats".  Where in Harry Potter are "seats" important?  The Great Hall is one such place as there are seats at the dining tables, and we already know we are getting a Great Hall set this summer.  Where else are seats an important element to the site or scene?  Trains!!!!

"small straw to clutch at" indeed.  But there are pages and pages of discussion and speculation on this site predicated on much smaller straws than this :)

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

So did he almost confirm that lego will be doing a new hogwarts express? To be honest I reckon it's extremely likely that they will. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, I've only watched one of the films but even I've heard of the hogwarts express. I'd have thought this is one of the most iconic and likely things from the films that lego would want to produce as a set.

It would surprise me if the DIDN'T make an updated one for this new wave of HP sets. Not a HP fan at all, never even watched a full movie of it but it is a sharp looking train