ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

36 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

Ok thanks for confirming @Digger of Bricks - It will be good to get more of that track in LBG if nothing else. 

Regarding the car(s), they are roughly five to six bricks high, have perhaps a 4×6 footprint, and are built onto a lime green rollercoaster boogie with Trans-Light Blue window panels. Also, after looking at the box art again, I don't think there are any straight track after all.

17 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

That's a shame. I don't think there was any flat straight track in the Pirate Roller Coaster set either.

Looks like TLG may inadvertently sell a lot more of the 60188 Mining Experts Site then they may have bargained...  Just from people wanting to accumulate (or part-out) the LBG straight rollercoaster track.  That set has the highest amount of straight pieces that we've seen so far, I believe.

8 minutes ago, icemorons said:

Looks like TLG may inadvertently sell a lot more of the 60188 Mining Experts Site then they may have bargained...  Just from people wanting to accumulate (or part-out) the LBG straight rollercoaster track.  That set has the highest amount of straight pieces that we've seen so far, I believe.

People buying it strictly for the track, then there's me who wants it strictly for the fact its a nice looking mining set that brings back good memories of playing with the 2012 one when i was younger

40 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

People buying it strictly for the track, then there's me who wants it strictly for the fact its a nice looking mining set that brings back good memories of playing with the 2012 one when i was younger

Personally, I prefer 4204, in almost every respect, compared with 60188.   The train is much nicer.  The drill is much more believable compared with the behemoth in 60188.  There's a much better truck, and even a crane.   The only areas where 60188 may be better is the inclusion of a tipper, the shape of the gold nuggets themselves, and perhaps the minifig selection.   I do have 4204 in my collection.  However, I won't purchase 60188 unless I find it heavily discounted.   Who knows, they may both work well together in a rocky, mountainous corner of my eventual city some day...

Might just say that on Lego IDEAS there is a very detailed brown crocodile locomotive that has got more than 480 supporters in the past six or seven days, PF equipped and looking very positive at the moment for reaching the 10K mark. :grin:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/899ca545-49a5-4102-aef8-154bb71ac6ea

Edited by Vilhelm22

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Might just say that on Lego IDEAS there is a very detailed brown crocodile locomotive that has got more than 480 supporters in the past six or seven days, PF equipped and looking very positive at the moment for reaching the 10K mark. :grin:

I'm the 500th supporter. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. Mainly wanted to show my support for a new Creator Expert train. This one is different enough to make it a viable option.

22 hours ago, icemorons said:

Personally, I prefer 4204, in almost every respect, compared with 60188.   The train is much nicer.  The drill is much more believable compared with the behemoth in 60188.  There's a much better truck, and even a crane.   The only areas where 60188 may be better is the inclusion of a tipper, the shape of the gold nuggets themselves, and perhaps the minifig selection.   I do have 4204 in my collection.  However, I won't purchase 60188 unless I find it heavily discounted.   Who knows, they may both work well together in a rocky, mountainous corner of my eventual city some day...

Same, 4204 is overall nicer and easier to fit into a city as well. Owned the thing since the year it came out and never tore it apart like everything else i had back then lol yeah the new mine might have a tipper and skid steer but the 2012 wave had a cheap set with both in

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/899ca545-49a5-4102-aef8-154bb71ac6ea

Not getting my hopes up but that's one nice looking locomotive!! Even if it gets 10K and doesnt get approved it would still show Lego that there is demand for locomotive only train sets 

I am gonna stick my neck out an make a bold prediction! I think this year's Creator Expert vehicle wont be a car. I think they'll carry on the theme of public transport vehicles as started with last years London Bus and it will be a train, hopefully a classic steam loco. Something like a scale model of Flying Scotsman would tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously this isn't based on any evidence. We are long overdue an advanced Expert train model though and surely it would help to promote the new Power Functions 2 system being launched in the summer if they gave the option to combine this with the model too.

Also, the Crocodile loco on Ideas looks very nice, but I can guarantee that - as built there - it will not go around Lego's curved track. Simple as that, it won't.

8 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

^ They did a 'Flying Scotsman' style train with the Emerald Night.

Yes I suppose they wouldn't do Flying Scotsman then as it's quite similar to Emerald Night. Emerald Night is closer to Flying Scotsman in her British Railways livery though. How about taking away the smoke deflectors and creating a Flying Scotsman in her LNER green livery with twin tenders.

12 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

How about a set based off the Mallard?

Yes Mallard would make a great set too. Also it's the 80th anniversary this summer of Mallard breaking the world speed record so this would be a good candidate for a set.

4 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Yes I suppose they wouldn't do Flying Scotsman then as it's quite similar to Emerald Night. Emerald Night is closer to Flying Scotsman in her British Railways livery though. How about taking away the smoke deflectors and creating a Flying Scotsman in her LNER green livery with twin tenders.

You mean like this?

21398285183_8afcae1541_c.jpg

Sorry, but I kept the smoke deflectors, as the model looks better with them than without.

1 minute ago, Paperballpark said:

You mean like this?

21398285183_8afcae1541_c.jpg

Sorry, but I kept the smoke deflectors, as the model looks better with them than without.

Wow, is this one of your MOCs? That looks really impressive.

Thanks, it is indeed! I built it about three years ago now, and I've taken it to nine shows since then. I display things other than trains now though, so it hasn't been out since last May.

Edited by Paperballpark

51 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

YES!!! :moar:

35 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Yes Mallard would make a great set too. Also it's the 80th anniversary this summer of Mallard breaking the world speed record so this would be a good candidate for a set.

Well how do you like that? :sweet:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

41 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

You don't say? Did ya hear that TLG? :moar:

31 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

You don't say? Did ya hear that TLG? :moar:

If they wanted to commemorate that anniversary, they would have started developing the set a little while ago, so I think it would be too late if they were to start now.

But still, yes, I'd love to see a streamlined steam locomotive. Though I would prefer an American one, a British one would more likely have a much broader appeal for both American and British audiences.

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Good call - that would be awesome.

Ideally packaged with some Pullman carriages with proper train windows and doors :moar:

2 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

Thanks, it is indeed! I built it about three years ago now, and I've taken it to nine shows since then. I display things other than trains now though, so it hasn't been out since last May.

How did you build that curved, ribbed station roof? It almost looks like curved track sections used as supports

Edited by ElectroDiva

16 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

Good call - that would be awesome.

Ideally packaged with some Pullman carriages with proper train windows and doors :moar:

Would be more appropriate with some Coronation twin-arts and an obbo:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-duEbG_nH9lc/WR0SGF1a8gI/AAAAAAABkFs/Z4jXNb-ylV0w29D8gKEzjIwFt2XsBUoDACLcB/s1600/The%2BCoronation%2BLNER%2BBlue%2BTrain%2BObservation%2BCoach.JPG

16 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

@ElectroDiva The roof is made out of semicircles of curved track combined with clear wall elements!! I think its one of the best uses of leftover curved rails to date.

That's inspired. I love MOCs that use otherwise fairly useless pieces like that.

34 minutes ago, Kalahari134 said:

Would be more appropriate with some Coronation twin-arts and an obbo:

Either works for me tbh. 

I think it would be great and quite likely that lego could release a train as part of their creator expert vehicle range (the series that includes the classic mini and last year's routemaster bus)? How would people feel though if they did this not in minifig scale but something bigger and closer to the London bus scale? It would be disappointing to think it wouldn't run on the standard lego track but I do think they could create an awesome and highly detailed model at this sort of size.