ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

2 minutes ago, BrickMusher said:

@JEB314 (James)

Thank you for that additional (and quite interesting) info. I agree, think I have never seen a front-cab like the one at 60197 before, although I believe that they will change the outer appearance somewhat with the desing of the (yet missing) stickers.

I did some research on possible "real-life" inspirations for the cargo train. My first suggestion (almost 10days ago, the one with the "inverted" window) was some french "BB" model.

Meanwhile I found out about dutch "NS 1600". This is mostly based on the french BB7200. When researching for various Engines of dutch railway "Nederlandse Spoorwegen" - NS, I also found the NS 1200 model. And this NS 1200 looks (in my opinion) more similar to the actual leaked preliminary-picture than the suggested Class 55 Deltic. Not to talk about the also suggested F7.

While Class 55 and F7´s are Diesel engines, the NS 1200 is electric. This matches also with the new 60198 photos..

Conclusion:

Honestly, it doesn´t matter. No kid will care. And the most of us AFOL´s will MOC their engines anyway. But one thing that popped up is just the question if the desinger of the new cargo train might be dutch? Does anybody have a list of the designers known so far? Think I have seen something like this in the technic-forum??

What's highly likely is that the leaked video's we saw earlier are what was shown to focus groups. It's quite plausible that two different preliminary models based off real trains have been combined into a frankenstein train which is not based off any sort of real train at all.

3 minutes ago, Grrr said:

It's quite plausible that two different preliminary models based off real trains have been combined into a frankenstein train

:laugh: ROFL, you made my day. It must have been a Team og highly qualified, long time studied scientist...

"ok, 27% of target group favour train A, while 31% prefer train type B, so if we combine both models, they will be loved by 58% of all children...."   sounds like a genius mathematic trainee was hired as a fill-in that day :sick:

I don't know why everyone is excited about this. This two trains are just as I predicted; another exercise in drab utilitarianism. Definitely not getting either of these, not when there's stuff like 76108 The Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown to add to my city. 

22 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't know why everyone is excited about this. This two trains are just as I predicted...

Thanks for checking in.

25 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don't know why everyone is excited about this. This two trains are just as I predicted; another exercise in drab utilitarianism. Definitely not getting either of these, not when there's stuff like 76108 The Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown to add to my city. 

Because this is the train forum. Honestly very glad you're excited about the super hero stuff but the train fans have to wait ~4-5 years for new offerings. Edit: just want to reiterate, four to five years, years, for new stuff. 

Edited by koalayummies

I like both but for some reason, I'm reminded of this:

Image result for Iron

and this:

Image result for China bullet train

When I look at the new Passenger train. And that's not bad. Cows who stray on the line better watch out.

41 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Because this is the train forum. Honestly very glad you're excited about the super hero stuff but the train fans have to wait ~4-5 years for new offerings. Edit: just want to reiterate, four to five years, years, for new stuff. 

This! :laugh:

1 hour ago, BrickMusher said:

And this NS 1200 looks (in my opinion) more similar to the actual leaked preliminary-picture than the suggested Class 55 Deltic

Nice spot!

Those don't look nearly as cool as the preliminary images from before, sadly - I'll probably be picking up the cargo train because the new PF stuff seems promising, and I can always rebuild it to look more like the preliminary design from before.

10 hours ago, rmsc said:

Somebody just posted the leaked set images on reddit (2018 TRAINS (New power functions?))

https://www.reddit.com/r/LEGOtrains/

Thank you for sharing this. We *finally* have some actual pictures to look at :)

First impressions:

-60197: I like the fact that this seems to be based on the EuroStar and also like the loco + 2 carriages configuration (easily expandable). Quite like the sleek look as well, although i really hope they haven't borrowed the top hinged passenger compartment design from the tram in 60097. That would be a bit too dumbed down imo

-60198: I think Frankenstein's monster is an apt description for the loco - wtf is that supposed to be ?! Not really sure if I like it yet (will have to see some better pictures). The cargo wagons all look decent though and it's nice to get a signal box

Very keen to see more details on the suspected new power functions components with wifi/Bluetooth & possibly sound.

I've got some Pfx bricks on order from their Kickstarter campaign but it would be great to see TLG expanding power functions into similar territory

Regarding the new power functions:

it seems that either the logo on the box is only a placeholder that doesn't show anything we will see or it's some new type of receiver based on bluetooth BLE and the WeDo 2.0 plugs that should be used with a phone. It would make sense because lego stated that they want to replace all future PF with the 2.0 system (http://www.technicbricks.com/2016/01/wedo-20-future-of-pf.html) and it makes sense to renew the trains first because they stay the longest on the shelves (and thus the older parts would have to still be produced during the next years). The sound capabilities mentioned can be simple sound files that you can play with a remote app from the phone (the first RC lego trains had sound included into the remote, too).

13 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

it seems that either the logo on the box is only a placeholder that doesn't show anything we will see or it's some new type of receiver based on bluetooth BLE and the WeDo 2.0 plugs that should be used with a phone. It would make sense because lego stated that they want to replace all future PF with the 2.0 system (http://www.technicbricks.com/2016/01/wedo-20-future-of-pf.html) and it makes sense to renew the trains first because they stay the longest on the shelves (and thus the older parts would have to still be produced during the next years). The sound capabilities mentioned can be simple sound files that you can play with a remote app from the phone (the first RC lego trains had sound included into the remote, too).

I would hope they wouldn't require a phone to use a kid's toy though....

20 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

Hmm. I think you're onto something there. Note that Boost uses the same connectors that WeDo did, and that no Technic sets announced thus far for 2018 have PF at all. My sense is that the second half of 2018 will see new PF for technic and trains, and probably the next iteration of Mindstorms. I could even be more cynical and presume that part of the reason why Technic set 42070 is over-priced is to ensure that the demand matches the remaining supply of PF stock.

I can certainly see hesitations if an app on a device is required for these toys to operate. Perhaps Lego may include (or provide an optional accessory pack) physical remote; but for true power; you'd use an app instead?

1 hour ago, Grrr said:

Hmm. I think you're onto something there. Note that Boost uses the same connectors that WeDo did, and that no Technic sets announced thus far for 2018 have PF at all. My sense is that the second half of 2018 will see new PF for technic and trains, and probably the next iteration of Mindstorms. I could even be more cynical and presume that part of the reason why Technic set 42070 is over-priced is to ensure that the demand matches the remaining supply of PF stock.

I can certainly see hesitations if an app on a device is required for these toys to operate. Perhaps Lego may include (or provide an optional accessory pack) physical remote; but for true power; you'd use an app instead?

Here is a good look at the battery box in question:

s-l640.jpg

Notice how the bottom cover could be swapped out for one 4 studs wide.

Edited by CDM

9 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

That sharp yellow line on the nose piece looks so terrible... I really hope there is a sticker or something that blends it better

I’m almost certain there will be one.

1 hour ago, Grrr said:

I don't think that it's related to Mindstorms. PF and Mindstorms are different teams and mindstorms sets last longer (the NXT lasted 7 years, that would make a new mindstorms come 2020). The NXT had it's best selling year at the end of the lifespan.

Lego won't give us an app AND a remote. But I don't see them doing a Bluetooth BLE remote either as that's not the way bluetooth is used normally and it would be pretty expensive compared to IR. So either an app or a non-bluetooth remote.

1 minute ago, CDM said:

Here is a good look at the battery box in question:

Notice how the bottom cover could be swapped out for one 4 studs wide.

I don't think that they will use this one. Not enough power (it runs either on 3V3 or 5V), too expensive (because the battery is included) and too wide for 6 wide trains. Maybe some kind of variation that is battery powered and slimmer.

26 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

Lego won't give us an app AND a remote.

Why not?  A simple, basic remote, but also a downloadable app (knowing TLG, it wouldn't be free) with extra features?  I'm not suggesting it would or will happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised either way.

EDIT: It could also be that TLG will give us IR in a set, but offer a separate BT option for purchase.  Keeps the cost of the set down, but also gives people the options they want (not that TLG is particularly famous for that, either).

Edited by fred67

2 minutes ago, fred67 said:

Why not?  A simple, basic remote, but also a downloadable app (knowing TLG, it wouldn't be free) with extra features?  I'm not suggesting it would or will happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I think that there is no market for a payed remote control app :D Serveral free ones would pop up in no time.

You have to keep in mind that the trains still have expensive tracks and that the price shouldn't be much higher.

23 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

I don't think that they will use this one. Not enough power (it runs either on 3V3 or 5V), too expensive (because the battery is included) and too wide for 6 wide trains. Maybe some kind of variation that is battery powered and slimmer.

The standard Wedo2.0 battery box uses (2) AA batteries. The lithium ion rechargeable is an upgrade. Given the way the receiver slides off the battery box it could be swapped for a different 4 stud wide box that fits other battery configurations, such as (4) AA or (6) AAA. If Lego designed this system properly the all new components will be compatible across Boost, WeDo2.0, and the presumed updated Power Functions.

Like the color of the passenger train compared to the white one out now, Cargo train looks nice as well. The prices going to be around the same price as the last two? 

I wish lego would have a train theme with just locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars, and coal cars, and buildings related to trains. That way there could be cheaper train sets then $200 a set

Thank you very much for all the info and the link to the pics! :classic:

Although I would have prefered a commuter train instead of a another high speed train, I must say that this new passenger train looks great! The style and colors are perfect and something new and different, I like the comeback of the six studs wide platform (but it again is not at least as long as one carriage) and that two carriages are included (so with two sets you can build up a decent sized train). Plus that new trolley is since long overdue. I only hope that the train's interior will be more elaborated than the ones in the last (non-D2C) ones (two carriages with the same interior would be horrible) - a board bistro in one of the carriages would be perfect!

In contrast I've got very mixed feelings about the cargo train: Imo the engine as well as the wood carriage and the mobile train crane look great. Plus I really like the inclusion of the signal tower and the buffer which haven'tbeen seen for a too long time. The forklift and the red container seem to look good, too. But that money transport container (!) with train seems to me to be very unrealistic. Plus we already got a bank van in the Mountain Police theme and even this one in the Trains theme again has no inside wall and the forklift won't be able to place the pallet inside (because the pallet is six studs wide but the van's interior only four studs). Besifes I ask myself with which vehicle the logs and the red container should be transported before and after transportation on track. A bit strange and callow imo.

Btw: With these two big trains coming, there should be a train station, too, shouldn't? Or do you think TLG will firstly release it next year?

I wonder if the train station sales were bad for 60050 and that's why it was retired early.. maybe we won't see a new station? That would be sad.