ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

Might be. There has to be something new, eh? The passenger coaches looks like a three minute job; bogies, baseplate, brick, two plates, trans panels, another brick, a plate with cheese and you're done! 7815/20 was a wee bit more fun to build :sadnew:

Looks like 60198 Cargo Train comes with 8 minifigs which is double that of 60052. Had a close look at the picture and the ladder going up to the tower and it looks like 2 minifigs at the top of the ladder, a male and female in an embrace!

Like them both!

1. No stickers yet - The timetable / train network sticker is missing in the middle of the picture of 60197, so I wonder how many other stickers are missing?
  2. 60197 looks like a clever mechanism between carriages to narrow the gap (could be just good photography / angle though...)
  3. Both do include lots of track (straights included), as you can see from 60198's picture, you can just see the top of the box of both sets. Bit small, and odd that only one junction is included in 60198?
  4. There is a word under +PowerFunctions. Can anyone make it out? @JEB314 (James) any idea? 
  5. Also, based on the symbol, it looks like WiFi not Bluetooth or IR? I think the circular dot symbolises wifi, because it's quite different to the current logo.
  6. I like that the new controller looks like a 2x1 brick, at least the prototype does. 
3 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

Like them both!

1. No stickers yet - The timetable / train network sticker is missing in the middle of the picture of 60197, so I wonder how many other stickers are missing?
  2. 60197 looks like a clever mechanism between carriages to narrow the gap (could be just good photography / angle though...)
  3. Both do include lots of track (straights included), as you can see from 60198's picture, you can just see the top of the box of both sets. Bit small, and odd that only one junction is included in 60198?
  4. There is a word under +PowerFunctions. Can anyone make it out? @JEB314 (James) any idea? 
  5. Also, based on the symbol, it looks like WiFi not Bluetooth or IR? I think the circular dot symbolises wifi, because it's quite different to the current logo.
  6. I like that the new controller looks like a 2x1 brick, at least the prototype does. 

Quoting myself? I'm sure that against some rules :)

Can't see any IR receiver 'humps' / domes in either picture.........

Edited by dylanfarrow
Wifi?

52 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Unlike what had been described earlier, the cargo locomotive is definitely not Dark Turquoise. But, does the yellow on the Passenger Train look like to anyone to be "Flame Yellowish Orange", instead of typical Bright Yellow?

It's not bright yellow.  I did a MOC of the 60197 engine based on the leaked video.  I used bright yellow on the MOC, because that's what I had on-hand.  But both the video and the prelim photo appear to be slightly darker.  I think the yellow 60197 uses is the same as the trim color on 60052's engine.  

Adding:  According to brick link, 60052's trim color is bright light orange.   I'm thinking that's what 60197 will use. 

Edited by icemorons
Added detail on color name

1 hour ago, scottwb2010 said:

Thanks for posting a link to satisfy the curiosity of the rest of us. :thumbup:

You are welcome :classic:

13 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

Can't see any IR receiver 'humps' / domes in either picture.........

In my opinion, I believe that it's neither wifi nor bluetooth, but RF instead. RF is cheaper and overcomes some of the IR limitations, without the overhead of bluetooth. But I'm just guessing...

3 minutes ago, rmsc said:

In my opinion, I believe that it's neither wifi nor bluetooth, but RF instead. RF is cheaper and overcomes some of the IR limitations, without the overhead of bluetooth. But I'm just guessing...

So we could have an actual Powerfunctions "RC" train setup. Interesting to see where they go with this, seeing as most of us remember the fiasco that was the old RC setup. Ugh.

2 minutes ago, rmsc said:

Interesting thought. Agree that it could be RF based on the Batmobile rumour that someone else mentioned. I don't know enough about RF, are you limited to only a few channels? Also, (completely guessing here) I would have thought WiFi components are now cheaper due to everything connecting to wifi these days. 

If WiFi I hope we get some tools, apps to program the trains.

RF? I find that highly unlikely. But a toy train that a kid could control from his phone? Ka-ching!!!

11 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

Interesting thought. Agree that it could be RF based on the Batmobile rumour that someone else mentioned. I don't know enough about RF, are you limited to only a few channels? Also, (completely guessing here) I would have thought WiFi components are now cheaper due to everything connecting to wifi these days. 

Honestly, I also don't know the limitations of RF. However, wifi and bluetooth are still relatively expensive.

Completely agree on that :classic: 

6 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

RF? I find that highly unlikely. But a toy train that a kid could control from his phone? Ka-ching!!!

Indeed...That makes a lot of sense. However, that will definitely affect retro compatibility with existing trains :sceptic:

10 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I think it's likely WiFi Direct or Bluetooth low energy. Both would easily be integrated with smartphone or tablet apps.

4 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

Holy Moly! Those descriptions were spot on! I'll definitely be picking up both of these. I hope the new PF components are backwards compatible with the PF train motor.

The snot description is wrong. There are no snot techniques in this set. The original design had an inverted windshield to make it look like a French engine. That leak has proven to be inaccurate.

The green freight engine is also based on American engine with a dual cab that was built for Europe. 

However it uses a Southern railway color scheme we used here on our F7 diesels. Of which this engine is based. 

The new mold for the passenger engine is not a new mold at all. It’s an existing piece but it’s painted partially to make it look like it has a window. It’s an existing windshield piece found on bricklink/brickowl. 

Edited by ncx

15 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

I think it's likely WiFi Direct or Bluetooth low energy. Both would easily be integrated with smartphone or tablet apps.

I expect the new Power Functions to be in line with the Boost system, ie: connectors, controls, maybe even additional functionality. I could be wrong but I don't take that PF placeholder image to be the actual format of a new controller.

43 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

Can somebody point me to the Batmobile rumors?

New controls/functionality are very very interesting.

3 minutes ago, CDM said:

I expect the new Power Functions to be in line with the Boost system, ie: connectors, controls, maybe even additional functionality. I could be wrong but I don't take that PF placeholder image to be the actual format of a new controller.

From what I see the battery box and the controller is built into one big piece with what looks like knobs on the top almost look like domes but too flat to be domes. 

I think it’s a Bluetooth powered box. 

Edited by ncx

28 minutes ago, MaineBrickFan said:

Can somebody point me to the Batmobile rumors?

New controls/functionality are very very interesting.

All we know about it is what the name suggests, "App-controlled Batmobile".

I've seen a picture of it as well but I haven't shared it with anyone on here yet, there's a bunch of speculation going on in the licensed theme section of the forum.

It is very likely controlled via BT, much like the Boost.

Edited by degenerate

I do not like the fact that the train has 2 carriages as it forces people to buy 2 to have a full train. That is the main reason I haven't paid aftermarket prices for Horizon Express. 

Was there any other rumors regarding a train station? They have released one with every passenger train since I can remember so it seems odd that we wouldn't be getting one in 2018.

6 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I do not like the fact that the train has 2 carriages as it forces people to buy 2 to have a full train. That is the main reason I haven't paid aftermarket prices for Horizon Express. 

Well, if it had been two cabs and one carriage, people would have been moaning that they'll have to buy two to get another carriage, AND they'll then have to mod the cabs. At least this way you can just buy another one, without any modding needed.

Plus, the core demographic (which isn't you or I) won't really care.

8 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

Well, if it had been two cabs and one carriage, people would have been moaning that they'll have to buy two to get another carriage, AND they'll then have to mod the cabs. At least this way you can just buy another one, without any modding needed.

Plus, the core demographic (which isn't you or I) won't really care.

Yep business-wise it makes a lot of sense for sure. I just don't like the fact that I'll have one 6 long train and two 3 long trains. Hopefully the new power functions will make it easy to pair 2 motors. 

Regarding the PF stuff on the box: Both the conductor minifig and the PF picture have a faint "placeholder" stamped over them. That can mean that the whole graphic will be changed (which I kind of expect with the conductor) or that the thing only needs to be coloured (which I think is the case with the PF stuff) but it can obviously also mean that the whole design for the PF 2.0 stuff hasn't been formalized yet. 

Re. the design: Ah well, it looks fun. But since I don't build 6 wide anyways, I couldn't care less. Ofcourse, a Nez-Casses would be awesome, but that's mainly because they used to be the main workhorse in NL and thus I have always loved seeing them. But in the end, I'm mainly interested in the PF stuff!

Edited by raised

1 hour ago, Toxic43 said:

1 hour ago, CDM said:

1 hour ago, ncx said:

I think it’s a Bluetooth powered box. 

1 hour ago, degenerate said:

It is very likely controlled via BT, much like the Boost.

Going to have to agree :classic:

Did some reading on Bluetooth low energy (BLE) vs WiFI Direct and vs Bluetooth. BLE sounds like the obvious choice, especially with Boost using BLE as well. For backwards compatibility, does the new controller also have IR, or maybe you just use the old controller... Fingers crossed for an app, or at least the ability to code our own.

I would expect the controller and receiver to have changed, but the leads, motors and battery box to have stayed the same. Of course, I could be wrong and they may have come up with a completely new system...

4 hours ago, 1974 said:

The passenger coaches looks like a three minute job; bogies, baseplate, brick, two plates, trans panels, another brick, a plate with cheese and you're done! 7815/20 was a wee bit more fun to build :sadnew:

I couldn't agree more!

2 hours ago, ncx said:

The snot description is wrong. There are no snot techniques in this set. The original design had an inverted windshield to make it look like a French engine. That leak has proven to be inaccurate.

Actually this description was the verbal one from last night (or afternoon in the US) - here on this topic -, and it was perfectly accurate. The leaked images/video that You think of were discussed about almost a week ago here. ;)

I have dreamt of a passenger train with a locomotive and separate coaches, because we haven't seen any since 7740 (talking about City sets only), but only EMU-s or fantasy stuff (9V). Well, this dream came true, but not exactly the way I pictured it... :D This nose piece is a disappointment again. I like the color scheme though.

2 hours ago, ncx said:

The new mold for the passenger engine is not a new mold at all. It’s an existing piece but it’s painted partially to make it look like it has a window. It’s an existing windshield piece found on bricklink/brickowl. 

I have been doing a lot of research into this, this is incorrect.

First off, the window opens upwards from the front piece as a play feature, it also has a small lip below the glass to allow a finger to pop it up.

Secondly, I have spoken with my contact in metal molds, he couldn't tell me anything before, but now I sent the Reddit page and explained it is out, he gave in and answered a couple of questions. 

I asked about the front piece, it is a new mold. It has 2 "bar diameter holes" in the front, through the 2 studs. This is to allow the lights to be fitted and used.

As a consequence I asked "Is that for the current lights (part no. 8870)?" He said yes, he believed so.

He doesn't know about the ends of the wires, but commented "Why change them? It would mean producing a large number of new parts variations, where is the logic? I expect connections won't change, but thats not my department!"

Therefore, I have a strong feeling some hardware will change, but not all. Also, the connections will most likely not be changing, thus there will be compatibility.

Hope that info helps a little, I'm currently working hard for more info and will share anything I find out, so long as I haven't had to sign any NDA's to get that material!

5 hours ago, 1974 said:

Not convinced PF is new or have been BT'ed .. yet. The "Wifi" logo reminds of the old 9V sound logo ..

On Zusammangebaut (http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-city-passagierzug-60197-und-schwerlasttransporter-60198-kuendigen-sich-an-42650/ they suggest that the new trains have a new "sound" piece. I suspect that is a 1x2 brick type thing which is shown in the picture, and the wifi logo is indeed a sound logo (or at least will be). I'm wondering if they have bricks which when in proximity to one another make sounds (eg as train approaches level crossing). 

I don't think that's a pic of a controller at all. I did have hope for a moment when people mentioned building around the controller above that we might see a return to 12v type table top controls, but I'm doubtful they're going to that level - if they were ever to do automation to the level they did with 12v (doubtful), they'll probably not bother with physical controls/buttons.

@JEB314 (James)

Thank you for that additional (and quite interesting) info. I agree, think I have never seen a front-cab like the one at 60197 before, although I believe that they will change the outer appearance somewhat with the desing of the (yet missing) stickers.

I did some research on possible "real-life" inspirations for the cargo train. My first suggestion (almost 10days ago, the one with the "inverted" window) was some french "BB" model.

Meanwhile I found out about dutch "NS 1600". This is mostly based on the french BB7200. When researching for various Engines of dutch railway "Nederlandse Spoorwegen" - NS, I also found the NS 1200 model. And this NS 1200 looks (in my opinion) more similar to the actual leaked preliminary-picture than the suggested Class 55 Deltic. Not to talk about the also suggested F7.

While Class 55 and F7´s are Diesel engines, the NS 1200 is electric. This matches also with the new 60198 photos..

Conclusion:

Honestly, it doesn´t matter. No kid will care. And the most of us AFOL´s will MOC their engines anyway. But one thing that popped up is just the question if the desinger of the new cargo train might be dutch? Does anybody have a list of the designers known so far? Think I have seen something like this in the technic-forum??