ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

19 hours ago, Noah_PL said:

Only one engine, like 10233 Horizon Express.

Also controller looks new. Maybe bluetooth.

How does everyone feel about this? I'm not sure I want to have to buy 2 of them...

14 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Oh please Lego, don't change the connectors!! I'm still grieving the death of 9V.......!

I wasn’t too pleased with the introduction of 9v!

27 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

How does everyone feel about this? I'm not sure I want to have to buy 2 of them...

If it’s an easy (albeit expensive) way to get longer trains as well as maintaining the playability for the target demographic, then I don’t mind it. Obviously the best solution would be standalone wagons but I don’t think we’ll see those in the near future due to reported historic low sales for these previously. 

19 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Any chance you can make out the design of the plug? Is it the same as the current power function's plug?

I saw only box. Can't tell anything about plug or receiver.

19 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Hold on. A class 37 with pantographs? The hell? Are you sure it's not the SNCF BB22200 (google images link) we saw in some shade of green earlier? If you've come here with information, we want all of it! :laugh:

Color schemat and center of lokomotive (engime) is same as on video leaks.

Front (and rear) cabin is like on class 37, but with only 2 windows.

Edited by Noah_PL

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It would be interesting if the other parts of the set were designed to be doubled up, such as the small platform these sets inevitably come with, or the track layout (not entirely sure how yet). A way to potentially increase sales and provide longer, more realistic trains. How good the train will look going round in circles with only one set will be interesting though.

1 minute ago, Noah_PL said:

Front (and rear) cabin is like on class 37, but with only 2 windows.

Thanks. Do you mean with the arched shaping and everything?

4 minutes ago, Noah_PL said:

I saw only box. Can't tell anything about plug or receiver.

That's a shame. This is going to be really nit-picky, but did you see a picture of the remote in a corner? If so, was it the traditional PF IR grey-and-orange one, or a different design? I'm clutching at straws here... :grin:. Don't worry if you can't remember, we'll all get to see eventually.

On the PF front, I think LEGO's options were: 1) stay with PF IR, 2) stay with PF but introduce a new Bluetooth receiver and controller/app, or 3) migrate trains entirely to the new PF 2.0 (see here: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/156390-on-the-future-of-power-functions/, or here: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/119386-wedo-20-the-future-of-pf/)

Whilst the second option is most attractive in terms of backwards compatibility, its the least likely of the three; why would you only change one component? A potential advantage of changing to PF 2.0 is the introduction of smaller battery boxes etc. I've tried to research the current use of PF 2.0; it's been released for a WeDo version 2 and the LEGO BOOST set, which also uses Bluetooth control from an app on a tablet. I can't tell if these systems are compatible; they look like they should be, but WeDo runs on 3V whilst BOOST is 9V. We will probably just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I believe half a train might be a better option for Lego, to put it simply.

The logic is that it keeps everyone slightly happier.

1. Kids can get the passenger train for Birthday or Christmas, either just buying one or if they really want another they can save up for it (might take a while!) or get it the following year...

2. Overall, AFOL train fans are more willing to spend money to buy 2 of certain train set, and Lego has data on that from online and store sales, e.g. 2 Horizon Expresses - 6 long train, 2 of 60051 - 7 long train, etc...

3. Even though Lego don't openly agree with it: "Set Splitting Resellers" isn't a small thing, for example: A quick search on eBay showed me more than one seller that had spilt near 500 of 60051 and almost the same number of 60052. And there are many like that! Plus all the shops on Bricklink parting out, just look at the front piece for 60051 (Part 15536), thousands are for sale if you got to Price Guide!

4. Parts buyers, say if we get new a new bluetooth receiver in both sets, people will buy the sets for that tech (especially if it doesn't become available of the Lego Shop immediately, or the item stocks out like it is currently for much of the train equipment at the moment - until sometime in February at the earliest, I've been told.) On that, Lego may not even list the new parts for quite a while as they will all be going into the new sets.

Lego did something similar with their passenger trains in 1999 and 2003 as well, but 2 and 3ish long respectively and a fair number of people bought 2 then, (totally different, but they have done before, so I have a strong feeling Lego are going to do "half a train" for the passenger one!

--- Separate Point ---

On the subject of the freight one, we pretty much know the wagons and accessories we are getting as I have heard/read separate accounts of people that have seen the pictures and they stack up very nicely with no contradictions.

BUT...

We have 3 different versions of the locomotive (In order of info):

1. 60052 recolour in green (therefore, single cab), as seen and described by Brickshow Brian. (Probably not quite right, in my opinion Brian isn't a great details man and many not have spent long analysing the pictures). No offence to him, of course.

2. A French-looking Teal/Green coloured locomotive (cab each end) as taken from Damian Wicher's low quality video. (Strong possibility, it could be development 360° videos, they have happened before... Saw one on Youtube around the last train release (60098) saved it to "watch later" but Lego got that copyright striked and removed. Suprised they haven't done the same to the Facebook one... For those interested, it was just the locomotive, I thought "yellow one, but recoloured". Yes, it was also bad quality, like the Damian Wicher one.

And the most recent addition:

3. Class 37 style, but diesel-electric with 2 pantographs - presumably green? @Noah_PL posted about this having seen the box art... (I don't know about this one, he ideally need to start sharing more info in the form of a detailed description, it is not that likely he has the photo/s on him as he would have probably found a way to share it.) If he has or can find the picture/s to be analysed by the fine people of Eurobricks that would be incredibly appreciated!

What we seem to be getting is green diesel-electric locomotive with 2 cabs, a sticky out bit infront of the cab windows at each end, and 2 pantographs! Beyond that, we'll have to wait for concrete evidence or photos!

If I got anything wrong in this, please say, I tried my best to research everything properly.

Gosh I wrote a lot...

Edited by JEB314 (James)
Spelling Mistake

43 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

Thanks. Do you mean with the arched shaping and everything?

Unfortunately no. It's simply and angular.

43 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

If so, was it the traditional PF IR grey-and-orange one, or a different design?

Different design. Looks like plate 1x2.

I have pic. But it has "confidential" watermark, so i can't show it here. (?)

Edited by Noah_PL

38 minutes ago, Noah_PL said:

I have pic. But it has "confidential" watermark, so i can't show it here. (?)

You can't post a confidential pre-release picture here (it's against the forum rules) but if you have a social media account somewhere else (Reddit, Facebook, Flickr etc) - you can post it there and post a link here.

Just don't deep link to the picture itself :)

59 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

We have 3 different versions of the locomotive (In order of info):

1. 60052 recolour in green (therefore, single cab), as seen and described by Brickshow Brian. (Probably not quite right, in my opinion Brian isn't a great details man and many not have spent long analysing the pictures). No offence to him, of course.

I'd laugh if BrickShow Brian was right after all the stick he's got..

10 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

You can't.

I thought embedding the image was not allowed, but linking to it offsite was fine? I'm new here, but I read through the old train discussions and that was my understanding.. 

Edited by bobbybats

1 minute ago, bobbybats said:

I thought embedding the image was not allowed, but linking to it offsite was fine? 

Was just checking the rules, there is that loophole to do that, so yes!

7 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Please show the pic. :blush:

I wish it could be shared here too, but if it says "Confidential - Preliminary Image" as it will, then it is against Eurobricks rules to post it here...

7 minutes ago, Brick Lover said:

Where did you find them?

The linked Reddit page?

Yep. It could also be a very well done MOC, for all we know.
One thing that hasn't been leaked are the minifigures. Could be cool to get a female locomotive driver.

Edited by Steamdemon

9 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

Yep. It could also be a very well done MOC, for all we know.
One thing that hasn't been leaked are the minifigures. Could be cool to get a female locomotive driver.

If you're commenting on the top post from r/LegoTrains - that was leaked nearly 2 weeks ago and discussed on here about 5 pages back - it's not new and some people think those models are fake or early prototypes

@Noah_Pl said he had actual box art which would be new info for this thread. 

Edited by ElectroDiva

3 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

If you're commenting on the top post from r/LegoTrains - that was leaked nearly 2 weeks ago and discussed on here about 10 pages back - it's not new and some people think those models are fake or early prototypes

@Noah_Pl said he had actual box art which would be new info for this thread. 

Yep, Bloomin' knew it. Someone's played us like a steam powered fiddle...

Edited by Steamdemon

20 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

Ooh, like the Passenger train! And the cargo train is nice, too.

Yeah, it looks like a class 93. Its great to finally have some news. 

Edited by rsb0204

4 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

Yep, Bloomin' knew it. Someone's played us like a steam powered fiddle...

I'll just leave this here...