ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

....if I am not mistaken, those engines are slowly being phased out by the various railroads that use them like SNCF....

What are they being replaced with??

Just now, M_slug357 said:

What are they being replaced with??

Mostly EMU's for the passenger services and Traxx and/or Vectron for the ones that were in freight services.

The engines in that video do not look as if they were made by LEGO.
Pretty useless thread, anyway - leading, as it does, to just nowhere.

45 minutes ago, hntrain said:

What's wrong with speculation? 

Why should it lead to anywhere? ;) It's just a train fan thread with full of exciting speculations. Just take it easy ;)

1 hour ago, hntrain said:

Yes, that video (showing only the engines) is a little suspicious, but it also came quite late in this thread.  If you go back many pages in this topic, there is a summary from a YouTube video by The BrickShow that discusses the entire cargo and passenger train sets (e.g., engine, cars, accessories), but only verbally described the sets, no pictures.

I guess we will all know at the end of the month(?).

11 hours ago, hntrain said:

I think the green one could be made by LEGO, but probably not the passenger one. Let’s not forget about that one train in the background of one of the City instruction manuals! I’m actually working on an observation car for that scheme based on that picture.

Also I could see why someone could view this thread as useless, it’s been active for, what, five months? And it has only received actual information within the past couple weeks. However, I do enjoy the early-on ideal-line-up discussions. 

I read this thread regularly because I love all the speculations about new products. Of course one could argue it is pointless to do so, but it's fun.

Imho the leaked images are real though they do not show the final product. That's quite obvious because everything except the engines is missing. No one knows how old the leaked images are, they might show a draft from months ago.

I wonder why the new cargo engine was described as "like 60052, but green". Either the design has changed between the leaked images and the final product, or the set description is not accurate at all. These two engines are entirely different, one is European, the other one US style. They have nothing in common except they are both cargo engines.

Edited by legotownlinz

Here's a MOC I built last night of the (presumed) 60197, based on the leaked video.   Obviously I had to brick build the front, so that leaves the aesthetics questionable in that area.   I was limited by bricks and colors on-hand, but mainly wanted to concentrate on the side details and overall color scheme to get a better idea on what we MIGHT be seeing in 2H18...    I cannibalized the wheelsets from the rear car of 60051, as they appear to be the same as what's in the video.    I welcome constructive criticism.   Can't wait to see what TLG actually releases for 60197 and 60198! 

LegoMOC_60197_small.JPG

Icemorons, I first saw your post and at first thought the new release was an old Santa Fe Bluebonnet. Your interpretation would be a good foundation to build one out. I'm hopeful one of the two releases will be a classic diesel. 

bluebonnet.jpg

19 minutes ago, Brickvergnugen said:

Icemorons, I first saw your post and at first thought the new release was an old Santa Fe Bluebonnet. Your interpretation would be a good foundation to build one out. I'm hopeful one of the two releases will be a classic diesel. 

bluebonnet.jpg

Sadly, according to any leaked materials I've been able to see, neither 60197 (passenger train) nor 60198 (cargo train) appears "classic diesel" in design.   Both look euro-centric, especially the cargo (double-ended cab, but considerably different in design than 7939 or 60098).   

I hadn't thought of the bluebonnet, but I can see now how the same technique might be used for creating a similar line.   The original Santa Fe Super Chief 10020 did a decent rendering of the side paint scheme, but I've never liked the blocky front.   There's another recent thread on Train Tech where a MOC of 10020 was done with much smoother lines using modern slope parts.  Check it out.

22 hours ago, icemorons said:

Here's a MOC I built last night of the (presumed) 60197, based on the leaked video.   Obviously I had to brick build the front, so that leaves the aesthetics questionable in that area.   I was limited by bricks and colors on-hand, but mainly wanted to concentrate on the side details and overall color scheme to get a better idea on what we MIGHT be seeing in 2H18...    I cannibalized the wheelsets from the rear car of 60051, as they appear to be the same as what's in the video.    I welcome constructive criticism.   Can't wait to see what TLG actually releases for 60197 and 60198! 

LegoMOC_60197_small.JPG

That is a great job! Thanks:) But there is one thing that makes me curious- if this is a passenger train why here is no place for passengers (no windows, no seats- does it make sense)? Or maybe if price goes higher for this set we can expect to see a longer trains than just 3 cars?

On 1/7/2018 at 9:53 AM, legotownlinz said:

I read this thread regularly because I love all the speculations about new products. Of course one could argue it is pointless to do so, but it's fun.

Imho the leaked images are real though they do not show the final product. That's quite obvious because everything except the engines is missing. No one knows how old the leaked images are, they might show a draft from months ago.

I wonder why the new cargo engine was described as "like 60052, but green". Either the design has changed between the leaked images and the final product, or the set description is not accurate at all. These two engines are entirely different, one is European, the other one US style. They have nothing in common except they are both cargo engines.

Perhaps this picture had something to do with the "like 60052, but green" description:   

LEGO World Copenhagen 2015

If you look carefully, just to the right of the 60052 lashup, there's a green locomotive.  However, I believe the green loco to be a one-off recolor of the Maersk 10219 for this display at LEGO World Copenhagen 2015.  The Maersk 10219 is behind the mystery green engine, and the details on both are identical, save for color scheme.  Might this have been the image leading to the "like 60052, but green" description from an admittedly non-train-savvy informant?   I'd say it's more than plausible.    Now, if TLG decided this green 10219 recolor was the basis for an engine to lead the likely 2019 summer TRU-exclusive train due to replace 60098 next year, then I wouldn't complain...  It looks great!   But that's only speculation.

3 minutes ago, spongebrickpl said:

That is a great job! Thanks:) But there is one thing that makes me curious- if this is a passenger train why here is no place for passengers (no windows, no seats- does it make sense)? Or maybe if price goes higher for this set we can expect to see a longer trains than just 3 cars?

Thanks for the kind words on my speculative MOC.   I believe this to be just the motive power for the next passenger train, not the actual passenger coaches.   If this, or something similar, is the basis for the 60197 passenger train, I'd actually prefer the "engine" not to have windows, as that design makes it a far more likely scenario that we'll get at least two actual coaches to pull behind the motive power.   It makes it far easier to lengthen the train by purchasing a second set.  With 60051, (and also 7938 and 7897 preceding it) the "rear car" was essentially the same form as the engine, but non-powered, and festooned with seats for passengers.   I'd prefer to get two actual coaches, pulled by an engine.    A second set would give you four coaches, with an engine at each end.   That's a much nicer looking train, from an AFOL perspective.

24 minutes ago, icemorons said:

Now, if TLG decided this green 10219 recolor was the basis for an engine to lead the likely 2019 summer TRU-exclusive train due to replace 60098 next year, then I wouldn't complain...  It looks great!   But that's only speculation.

That’s assuming that there still is a Toys R Us in 2019! ;) But I’m certainly hoping that the pattern of having an ‘exclusive’ train set released a year after the main ‘wave’ continues...

24 minutes ago, icemorons said:

Thanks for the kind words on my speculative MOC.   I believe this to be just the motive power for the next passenger train, not the actual passenger coaches.   If this, or something similar, is the basis for the 60197 passenger train, I'd actually prefer the "engine" not to have windows, as that design makes it a far more likely scenario that we'll get at least two actual coaches to pull behind the motive power.   It makes it far easier to lengthen the train by purchasing a second set.  With 60051, (and also 7938 and 7897 preceding it) the "rear car" was essentially the same form as the engine, but non-powered, and festooned with seats for passengers.   I'd prefer to get two actual coaches, pulled by an engine.    A second set would give you four coaches, with an engine at each end.   That's a much nicer looking train, from an AFOL perspective.

Seconded - a great mock-up :) And I agree about the two coach setup, though a lot of people complained about this approach with the Horizon Express as they felt they had to buy two to get a ‘complete’ train...

Edited by PeteM

1 minute ago, PeteM said:

That’s assuming that there still is a Toys R Us in 2019! ;) But I’m certainly hoping that the pattern of having an ‘exclusive’ train set released a year after the main ‘wave’ continues...

I agree, though a lot of people complained about this approach with the Horizon Express as they felt they had to buy two to get a ‘complete’ train...

Let's hope the pattern does continue, and that there's a store to sell it!   3677 (2011), 60098 (2015), ...? (2019)

As far as the Horizon Express, I still WANT to get a second one to complete mine...  :-)     

That said, TLG could do a "cab car" where there is a small driver's compartment, with exterior horn and lights, on the end car.  This arrangement is pretty typical for commuter railroads, especially when their right-of-way isn't (entirely) electrified with catenary systems.  A diesel, or dual-mode diesel+catenary locomotive unit provides the train's motive power at one end.  When operating in the forward direction, the engineer operates the train from the locomotive itself.   Upon reaching the end of the line, the engineer walks to the back of the train, and uses the controls in the cab car to operate the train in reverse direction.  The locomotive would be pushing the train from behind, but the engineer would have a clear view of the tracks ahead, and complete control of the train from this compartment.   The "cab car" arrangement would yield two usable passenger cars, but with slightly different builds.   They wouldn't look considerably different, and could be coupled to another set without looking too out of place.

7 hours ago, PeteM said:

That’s assuming that there still is a Toys R Us in 2019! ;) But I’m certainly hoping that the pattern of having an ‘exclusive’ train set released a year after the main ‘wave’ continues....

Can Target take over the exclusives? Please oh please! My local target's Lego aisle seems to keep growing. 

By biggest wish for 2018 is a return of the double crossover 7996 or the crossing 4519. Are there any rumors on new tracks, other than re-packing of the existing straight and curved tracks?

1 hour ago, legotownlinz said:

By biggest wish for 2018 is a return of the double crossover 7996 or the crossing 4519. Are there any rumors on new tracks, other than re-packing of the existing straight and curved tracks?

No on track, but the trixbrix on ebay digital printing are decent. I got their version of 7996, the color is spot on, its functionality is better as it has 4 switches rather than 2. I did put 2x1 flat gray lego bricks to secure the connection points. It does stay connected pretty well. For 50 bucks it is worth it. 

Infact, their switch track curves out rather than in like the lego track. A decent alternative that isnt garbage. 

So according to this page Lego will be absent from the London toy fair in 2018. Looks like no leaks from there after all. Looks like we have to wait until Nuremberg on the 31st.

3 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

So according to this page Lego will be absent from the London toy fair in 2018. Looks like no leaks from there after all. Looks like we have to wait until Nuremberg on the 31st.

London Toy show recently hasn’t been that good for info of sets due to those attending not being allowed to take photo’s, so we have had to rely on the German and New York toy fairs for images

Sorry to upset you, but according to different german blog´s, TLC has changed the rules. This year there will be no photos allowed at TLC´s display at Nürnberg Toy fair. Also there will be only invited press-members allowed and it is strictly forbidden to take pictures or report in any way (also not in words!!!!!) about anything.

Press release of german Blog "zusammengebaut" about Nürnberg toy fair

We will see what happens in NY?!

I wonder why they allready participate at Nuremberg toy-fair or invite press-members at all? IMHO at the end it will turn out that TLC just makes a fool on themselfes. Hope the upcoming sets are worth this childish behaviour..... :sick:

1 hour ago, BrickMusher said:

Sorry to upset you, but according to different german blog´s, TLC has changed the rules. This year there will be no photos allowed at TLC´s display at Nürnberg Toy fair. Also there will be only invited press-members allowed and it is strictly forbidden to take pictures or report in any way (also not in words!!!!!) about anything.

Press release of german Blog "zusammengebaut" about Nürnberg toy fair

We will see what happens in NY?!

I wonder why they allready participate at Nuremberg toy-fair or invite press-members at all? IMHO at the end it will turn out that TLC just makes a fool on themselfes. Hope the upcoming sets are worth this childish behaviour..... :sick:

They don't want clone manufacturers from china to sell the sets before Lego released them. I think that Lego sees them more and more as a serious threat.

2 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

One does indeed wonder why the press would bother attending if they are not allowed to report using either pictures or words. Obviously the likes of Zusammengebaut would want to go out of personal interest, but mainstream press needn't bother as they can't report anything.

Personally, I don't really mind. I like seeing the leaks and information, but it's more important for me that the product isn't counterfeited to the extent that it affects Lego's margins (and therefore the pricing of the goods I want to buy).