ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

That cargo train looks good to me but maybe that's because those engines have been around in the Netherlands since the early 80's.

Could the colour be the recently revived Teal?

22 minutes ago, Duq said:

That cargo train looks good to me but maybe that's because those engines have been around in the Netherlands since the early 80's.

It sure looks like it could be. The locos seem to be lit by a bright light source as there are lots of reflections on the (grainy) images. Take a look at 10260 Downtown Diner and see for yourself. Under normal lighting it could indeed be the teal.

10260_Box3_v39.jpg?resize=696,449&ssl=1

I don't know about the passenger train: I think the border between the yellow front (again one mold piece?) and the blue/grey is too "abruptly", it looks a bit amateurish to me. Cargo locomotive is awesome though!

1 hour ago, Duq said:

That's what @McWaffel said before the images hit the web, but after looking at them myself, I really don't think so. To me, it just looks like an oversaturated normal shade of green.

But other than that, I really like the freight locomotive, as it doesn't look like anything we've ever seen in the City theme before.

2 hours ago, Duq said:

If it is teal, it's an instant buy for me. Teal is my all-time favorite Lego color.

Does it annoy anybody else that LEGO has not made a traditional stand alone locomotive with 2 or 3 carriages for a passenger train since Santa Fe and 7740?

Sure, there were some good looking trains, but if they would use the 1 + 2 concept, we could interchange the locomotives between freight and passanger, something that would only increase playability.

While the cargo train could also be green (hard to tell under those bad lighting conditions) knowing that there is a prototype in teal makes me believe that it will be teal-coloured. Interesting choice for an engine, but definitely not bad to have some variations in the trains theme!

Speaking of variation, what I wonder is why Lego always used Bo'Bo' wheel arrangements (meaning two 4-wheel bogies with all wheels powered) in recent years rather than some sort of smaller shunter. I guess the reason for this are the long baseplates which help reduce the needed parts compared to say a 6 wheel engine, but it may also be too complex for children too build (at least from their point of view).

Edited by ScotNick

no train doors + no train windows = no play value

I don't really like either of those. The freight one looks a tad better than the more recent yellow and red engines but it still isn't a "must have". If those are indeed real leaks, then I don't even want to see what else they may have planned. After buying the Winter Village train station I was secretly hoping that they would have finally upped their game.

I'm starting to wonder more and more if these are not final images, but part way through the design. Hence no doors; and unresolved colour transitions especially on the passenger train.

Just now, Grrr said:

I'm starting to wonder more and more if these are not final images, but part way through the design. Hence no doors; and unresolved colour transitions especially on the passenger train.

3677 did not have doors either.

Just now, Grrr said:

If they are 'final-ish' I would bet the passenger train nose probably has a sticker like 60051 did to transition the color. 

Just now, creator_hun said:

3677 did not have doors either.

I still get frustrated at 2000's Lego set numbering. 3677 should to my mind be a fabuland set. 

Anyhow, - you're right, but it does have an easily removable roof. That's probably how both of these sets will work.

Just now, Grrr said:

But it does have an easily removable roof. That's probably how both of these sets will work.

Yep, that's how the horizon express works as well. Heck with 60051 you have to remove the entire cab. I expect it to be the same on the new passenger loco too. 

Too bad Lego don`t include doors anymore.. I remember how much fun it was taking the figs in and out thru the doors back in the days, that gave alot of play value. And they should gear up possibilites to easier add lights, or most include ligthning in the sets. We`ll have to wait for better images after all.

40 minutes ago, Chilis said:

Too bad Lego don`t include doors anymore.. I remember how much fun it was taking the figs in and out thru the doors back in the days, that gave alot of play value. And they should gear up possibilites to easier add lights, or most include ligthning in the sets. We`ll have to wait for better images after all.

I agree it will be a shame if the new trains don't have proper doors.

I might be wrong in saying this but I believe last summers city bus station set (the yellow and green bus) was the first set to reintroduce the train style doors. This door piece has also been used in the brand new city truck and caravan set 60182.

Not sure if I've got my facts right there so apologies if not but I find it strange that they'd reintroduce an old train piece and then not use it in the new train sets.

You want more photos?  :pir-blush:

http://27750024899_40b4653073_c.jpgMoc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

39526135701_234db30e79_c.jpgMoc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

25655147598_b6a0ef396e_c.jpgMoc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

This is not confidential.... I build it on my own. Of course, I build according to the photos everybody of you have allready seen. So its just guessing, nothing more.

One thing that came out while building, the green bricks modified with clip doesnt exist yet. Despite this, the cockpit with the upside-down windscreen is not very strong, but I did only a quick moccing, nothing reliable....

Anyway, I like the shape of that thing.

Hope you can forgive me that hoax

regards

BrickMusher

2 minutes ago, BrickMusher said:

You want more photos?  :pir-blush:

http://Moc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

Moc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

Moc-Up possible Lego 60198? by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

This is not confidential.... I build it on my own. Of course, I build according to the photos everybody of you have allready seen. So its just guessing, nothing more.

One thing that came out while building, the green bricks modified with clip doesnt exist yet. Despite this, the cockpit with the upside-down windscreen is not very strong, but I did only a quick moccing, nothing reliable....

Anyway, I like the shape of that thing.

Hope you can forgive me that hoax

regards

BrickMusher

Wow that's really cool! What better way to showcase an unreleased set than to recreate it in bricks. :laugh:

On 5.1.2018 at 12:56 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh, so the predominant color is yellow and not white? Does the locomotive have that same shell and window part for the front like 2014's passenger train; and if so, has it been recolored in Bright Yellow?

Turquoise, like the one seen the Downtown Diner modular?

No, it's not the 2014's train front recolored. It's very round, no edges. Only one light. In the center below the front window, a 1x2 tile piece would fit there. It uses the same front window as the tram, from what I can tell.

Yes, like in the diner modular. Very similar at least. 

The pictures aren't in good quality.

//Edit: Now you've actually seen the pictures yourself, my comment is quite obsolete lol. But to me that's definitely the new color. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by McWaffel

Depending on what else comes with the cargo train, I may give the cargo train a pass.  I seem to have already MOC that style of engine a few years ago.  If I am not mistaken, those engines are slowly being phased out by the various railroads that use them like SNCF.

16115737668_35e5e87a29_z.jpgDay 017 of 365: I Love Trains by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

For the new trains this year....  Maybe something more with that new coaster track?  I haven't gotten my hands on any myself but maybe we'll see a new mine train or something like that.   It looks close to the narrow gauge track.  Not exactly trains but it'd be nice to see a coaster or the like.

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

And yet they're clearly still very useful. :grin: :thumbup:

Thomas, The Really Useful Gungan Slaughtering Engine. :head_back: