ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

After following this topic since November, my sons and I continue to be dissapointed at the lack of steam locomotives like Emerald Night. Since my childhood in the early 90s lego has not produced a steam locomotive.  

Are we in the minority? 

We are still crossing our fingers that the EN will be rereleased this coming year. 

Right - "BrickShowBrian" has responded on Reddit with a few more details for set 60198 - quoted below.

So if accurate, it definitely sounds like the loco is a recolour of 60052 with *three* wagons - a log wagon, a crane wagon and a container wagon

-------

QUOTE:

"One of them is a flat train car, that is carrying logs. not much else to say with that.

One is that same idea of a flat yellow train car, but it has a crane on it. Blue cabin with a white arm. It's carrying a red shipping container in the picture.

There looks to be an empty train segment that you can place that red shipping container and another gray looking build that you can place on there.

The main car that houses the conductor is (to an untrained eye) identical to the blue one that came before it, just in green, and white.

The truck looks like an armored truck that you'd see delivering money, it's in white and dark green toward the bottom.

The "control tower" has yellow gurdurs holding it up (same pieces used to hold up the Saturn V). The cabin itself is red"

1 hour ago, Armycpt said:

After following this topic since November, my sons and I continue to be dissapointed at the lack of steam locomotives like Emerald Night. Since my childhood in the early 90s lego has not produced a steam locomotive.  

Are we in the minority? 

I don't think steam fits into the modern city line, any hope for steam would probably be a creator set. 

44 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

Right - "BrickShowBrian" has responded on Reddit with a few more details for set 60198 - quoted below.

-------

Which Reddit thread is that? I didn't see it in the Lego subreddit. 

Edited by bobbybats

Well the last few pages have been an exciting explosion of information! At the very least, it's time to start squirreling monies away for these new train sets.......!

I'm hoping that the new passenger train will do... something different? I haven't bought one since 2010's 7938. I'm not too jazzed about the color scheme of yellow and gray; I guess it's asking too much for a BLUE passenger train?? :/

As for the rumored freight set, it sounds incredibly lazy to re-release what's essentially the same engine in different colors... but lego has already done it before 60098 & 7939, so why not again with 60198 & 60052? ((Although, I would jump for a recolored 3677 to get the battery box cover in a new color))

Lastly, I am curious as to the quality of the leaked images that BrickShowBrian has allegedly seen, as well as to his personal ability to describe said images. For the images themselves, is this an "android vs iphone" style debate, and/or were these images taken at extreme distances- either too close or too far? And for BrickShowBrian's processing capability, is it like pictionary with friends or Adobe Illustrator?

p.s. Would it be a bad time to launch a train-themed project on Ideas?

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Ok, so we now have 2 contradicting descriptions. The BrickShow video (according to @ElectroDiva) says 60198 is a recolour of 60052, whereas @grimrecka says a different video shows it is similar to 7898. Hmm. Overall, the set (again, using the BrickShow description) seems to be a hodge-podge of bits from the preceding 3 waves' sets.

Either way, it seems unlikely to be able to reach the stated price, unless it is actually both locos in one set... or the price is just wrong.

@McWaffel Another reason I dislike the passenger train sets is the fact they are sold as 'lesser' sets, with barely enough track. Overall, they just seem a bit boring, which is a shame given some of them actually don't look too bad. That's why I'm interested to see if they've done anything differently with the new version.

@ScotNick Now that would be nice, a nice GWR castle (albeit in red), the previous one was a bit odd without the proper sized wheels.

It is very likely that these guys are looking at low-resolution or blurry images, and the models have a passing resemblence. I'll wait to see the real thing as I find often people say things are very similar or identical when they're totally not. I'd love to see the video @grimrecka mentioned - trying to find it now.

1 minute ago, M_slug357 said:

Lastly, I am curious as to the quality of the leaked images that BrickShowBrian has allegedly seen, as well as to his personal ability to describe said images.

Same thought came to my mind.

However I think we don't have to wait till the end of January. Images will be leaked earlier as usual.

14 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Lastly, I am curious as to the quality of the leaked images that BrickShowBrian has allegedly seen, as well as to his personal ability to describe said images.

And for BrickShowBrian's processing capability, is it like pictionary with friends or Adobe Illustrator?

Comedy gold :laugh:

19 minutes ago, creator_hun said:

However I think we don't have to wait till the end of January. Images will be leaked earlier as usual.

Those leaks need to hurry! :laugh:

As for the rumored freight set, it sounds incredibly lazy to re-release what's essentially the same engine in different colors... but lego has already done it before 60098 & 7939, so why not again with 60198 & 60052? ((Although, I would jump for a recolored 3677 to get the battery box cover in a new color))

p.s. Would it be a bad time to launch a train-themed project on Ideas?

I was thinking if they re-hashed a previous train, it should have been 3677 in green. Since they rehashed 7939 (yellow) with 60098 (red) and 60052 (blue) is the current one, it would have made more sense. 

As for Ideas, it seems they can't get 10k train fans to agree on a model, let alone one that would appeal to a greater market. Too many different interests (steam/electric/diesel/older/modern/cargo/passenger/etc)

Edited by bobbybats

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I do wonder how come Lego hadn't used the newly introduced large wheels from the Emerald Night for the last iteration of the Hogwarts Express, as that set had only came out a year after the Emerald Night. :def_shrug:

I've always said the "Ruby" mod for the Emerald Night looks more like the Hogwarts Express than any official Hogwarts Express set ever did.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the picture now, but a few months back I found an image of a recoloured 10219 in green. It was from a show, but interestingly, the side panels are the same part as 60052. Yet they were in green, but the part is not officially manufactured in that colour to my knowledge. 10219 looks a lot like 60052, certainly if you're looking at a poor quality image for sure. Just wondering if anyone has seen the same picture. I'll post it if I do manage to find it. 

Could have been a sticker of course, that is how I 'recolored' a LiPo.

Just now, Toxic43 said:

Hmm, I can't seem to find the picture now, but a few months back I found an image of a recoloured 10219 in green. It was from a show, but interestingly, the side panels are the same part as 60052. Yet they were in green, but the part is not officially manufactured in that colour to my knowledge. 10219 looks a lot like 60052, certainly if you're looking at a poor quality image for sure. Just wondering if anyone has seen the same picture. I'll post it if I do manage to find it. 

This picture? I think it's from an official LEGO layout. https://www.flickr.com/photos/legolago/16329475100/

5 hours ago, ScotNick said:

Well, I'm not sure about this, but "The Brick Show" also confirmed 3 general Harry Potter sets along with 2 Fantastic Beasts sets. What if one of those Harry Potter sets is an updated Hogwarts Express? It's just a speculation from me, and I think it's a bit unlikely, but it would be a big surprise! :wub:

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

@ScotNick Now that would be nice, a nice GWR castle (albeit in red), the previous one was a bit odd without the proper sized wheels.

Unfortunately the Harry potter sets contain the wrong kind of Hall (the engine used in the films is an Oltan Hall). From this brickfinder article the three Harry Potter sets are:

• Aragog with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley
  • Flying Ford Anglia with Weeping Willow
  • Hogwarts Great Hall

However, if you look at left of the 2nd image on the page you can see a Hogwarts express from the new Harry potter game, which appears to be a lot more detail in the wheel department (pistons and some semblance of running gear) than any of the previously released sets. Although it's just a video game model, one could hope that if the game is successful and they release new sets next year it might have a similar level of detail. (Also likely when you take into account the improved level of detail in sets like the lone ranger train vs the old Hogwarts expresses)

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Ok, so we now have 2 contradicting descriptions. The BrickShow video (according to @ElectroDiva) says 60198 is a recolour of 60052, whereas @grimrecka says a different video shows it is similar to 7898. Hmm. Overall, the set (again, using the BrickShow description) seems to be a hodge-podge of bits from the preceding 3 waves' sets.

I don't think any of the leaks I've seen contradict the BrickShow video, both it and the video I saw have the same engine colours. I think the discrepancy comes from BrickShow who is probably less attentive to the kind of details us train fans would notice.  It looks nothing like 7898 (which has the crocodile like noses) other being "green".

I agree that what I saw, to a non-train person, would be considered a recolour of 60052, but it is not the same design. It doesn't use the same cabin cover piece as 60052 or 7939 and is remarkably similar to the image of the real loco I posted earlier with the short, full width nose and forward slanting cabin windows. I did a quick recolour of that train it's actually almost identical now to the lego one:

Dk6XFGDm.png

(full size: https://i.imgur.com/Dk6XFGD.png)

58 minutes ago, bobbybats said:

This picture? I think it's from an official LEGO layout. https://www.flickr.com/photos/legolago/16329475100/

That's the one! You can see alongside 60052 how similar they look to the untrained (no pun intended) eye. Although it looks like we're out of luck on that front as there are others here claiming to have seen actual images of the new loco.

23 minutes ago, grimrecka said:

I don't think any of the leaks I've seen contradict the BrickShow video, both it and the video I saw have the same engine colours. I think the discrepancy comes from BrickShow who is probably less attentive to the kind of details us train fans would notice.  It looks nothing like 7898 (which has the crocodile like noses) other being "green".

I agree that what I saw, to a non-train person, would be considered a recolour of 60052, but it is not the same design...

That's exactly what I meant earlier! Not to make fun of or shame BrickShowBrian, but the descriptions he gave are pretty dry. Is this on purpose (signed a NDA?) or just how he describes... anything? I only criticize because I salivate at details about upcoming train sets, so I need more to go on than "green & white and has wheels". (( just sayin'))

And thanks to @grimrecka for the lovely (photoshop?) image that indeed gives us a better understanding of what's to come. I'm curious to know if you meant to recolor it green or turquoise? From your paintjob, I'd say either "medium" green or turquoise, but I can't be certan.

I've now seen the leaked images too and I have to say I'm very confused. The colors on the cargo train look super weird and the window looks like an upside down front window from the Santa Fe train. It looks nothing like 60052 and is a dual cab. A very ugly engine, in my opinion. Not liking it a bit.

The passenger train looks like a blend between the previous white passenger train and the tram from the city center bus depot and tram set thing. It's main color is yellow. It looks super futuristic and I have to admit, it looks more interesting than the cargo train. I'm still not pumped about either.

It's basically exactly like in the picture @grimrecka posted just earlier. More like a turquoise color. 

Where are people seeing these leaked images? If anyone has a clue, feel free to send a PM! I'm dying to see these trains. This will be the first wave of trains released that I'll actually have been here for! I missed all the previous launches due to the dark ages!

Edited by Toxic43
Punctuation

Just now, McWaffel said:

The passenger train looks like a blend between the previous white passenger train and the tram from the city center bus depot and tram set thing. It's main color is yellow. It looks super futuristic and I have to admit, it looks more interesting than the cargo train. I'm still not pumped about either.

The colour scheme in the image of the passenger train I've seen recalls the original livery of the British Rail Intercity 125 - though the actual model is much truncated from real thing and shaped more like the original test version from the early/mid 70s...

Edited by PeteM
Clarifying quote

@M_slug357 It was GIMP actually :wink:

I was aiming for medium green. I can't be certain of the colour, I'm basing it off a video taken with a smart phone of an lcd screen showing another video and it's pretty easy for colours to get distorted in that situation. So it could just be plain ol' bright green, but I'm fairly certain it's medium.

Just now, McWaffel said:

Oh, so the predominant color is yellow and not white? Does the locomotive have that same shell and window part for the front like 2014's passenger train; and if so, has it been recolored in Bright Yellow?

Just now, McWaffel said:

It's basically exactly like in the picture @grimrecka posted just earlier. More like a turquoise color. 

Turquoise, like the one seen the Downtown Diner modular?

This is a screenshot of the passenger train from a video I saw on Facebook - mods feel free to remove if it's too naughty....

IMG_3145.PNGEdit - that picture isn't cropped off, that is the full length of the power car!

Edited by PeteM

Just now, PeteM said:

The colour scheme in the image of the passenger train I've seen recalls the original livery of the British Rail Intercity 125 - though the actual model is much truncated from real thing and shaped more like the original test version from the early/mid 70s...

Nice catch. When I first saw it the colours felt very familiar but I couldn't work out why. Is the the prototype you were referring too? I can easily see how it could be the inspiration for the set.

01df52324f005aaca02c34c943e583f5.jpg

An interesting thought I just had: All the previous passenger trains have been 3 "units" long, with an engine at each end that also had space passenger seating. However, this one clearly doesn't have any passenger seating in the engine unit. It's unlikely that they will mirror this engine at both ends just to have only a single passenger wagon. So I think that this set is going to be like the horizon express 10233 where you will have to buy two sets to get a "complete" train.

Just now, grimrecka said:

Nice catch. When I first saw it the colours felt very familiar but I couldn't work out why. Is the the prototype you were referring too? I can easily see how it could be the inspiration for the set I think that this set is going to be like the horizon express 10233 where you will have to buy two sets to get a "complete" train.

This! Oh yes. I'll buy two right now if this is the case!

13 minutes ago, PeteM said:

This is a screenshot of the passenger train from a video I saw on Facebook - mods feel free to remove if it's too naughty

Ah, so if that is this year's passenger train, then that front part has indeed been recolored in Bright Yellow.