ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

The suspense is real! The speculation is so much fun. Can't wait for Jan 31st :O 

But I don't want to get my hopes up too much. The cargo train, I'm sure, will be somewhat good. I don't think it will be nearly as good as 60052 but good nevertheless. Those never disappointed me before. The passenger train on the other hand... I hope to see something that isn't entirely made out of a single brick. If I wanted something like that I'd get a duplo train.

A station is nice but I highly doubt Lego would offer two stations... so I don't think we'll get a "grand station" or something. I'd totally get one, but I don't think they're releasing two stations. I'm pretty sure this 250€ set isn't even a trains set. 

On January 2, 2018 at 8:56 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

220mw2.jpg

Hands down one of the funniest posts ever, your name, the avatar, the context of the post. Epic. :laugh:

Edited by koalayummies

2 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Hands down one of the funniest posts ever, your name, the avatar, the context of the post. Epic. :laugh:

Thank you. :blush: :grin:

It would make a very nice title. :innocent: Just "WHOA". :grin:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

On 1/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, McWaffel said:

But I like the idea of the use of the new roller coaster track for a train of some sort. Maybe a fair-ground-narrow-gauge train or something idk... :D 

I missed something.... what new roller coaster track?  Is there a set coming out?

30 minutes ago, fred67 said:

I missed something.... what new roller coaster track?  Is there a set coming out?

There are new rollercoaster pieces in the Lego Batman Movie Joker's Manor set, and a new Pirates-themed Creator rollercoaster sometime this year.

On 02/01/2018 at 4:56 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

220mw2.jpg

Whoa indeed

The possible return of monorail - surely it can't be true!

#BELIEVE

/cue x-files theme

Anyone else notice the escalator in that video?

Wouldn't it be great if Lego would produce.....

Give me a break...

3 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

Whoa indeed

The possible return of monorail - surely it can't be true!

#BELIEVE

/cue x-files theme

The chance of it actually happening is very low. :sceptic:

223j7e.jpg

On 1/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, bobbybats said:

In the town forum where we got the prices / set numbers they listed a new straights / curves track pack. Wild speculation - but what if the new track pack is for a monorail or other new system? 

When should we find out officially the summer sets? 

Wow, you mean a track pack that contains useful parts? That would be cool.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:09 AM, Aanchir said:

Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (no guarantees this will lead to anything)… but the latest LEGO Friends music video opens with a conspicuous shot of Heartlake City's monorail… :tongue:

I could see a friends "monorail" using the new roller coaster track system, I bet that track shows up somewhere in friends set this year.

Hi peeps, I've been lurking for the past several months and now a first time poster.

YouTube "TheBrickShow" gave an interesting description for 60198 describing the front as green, gray, and white with a log car and a crane car. An over watching tower and a truck. 5 mini figs included

The passenger train is supposed to be yellow and gray. At least 2 mini figs, and a small station. 

Im hoping the cargo engine will be another diesel similar to 60052. I just love 60052 so much and 10219 even more! 

Edited by theevilcrayonbox

The Brick Show descriptions also included a confirmation of what appears to be a Lego Friends mini-monorail with the resort/hotel set based on the roller coaster track system.

1 hour ago, theevilcrayonbox said:

Hi peeps, I've been lurking for the past several months and now a first time poster.

YouTube "TheBrickShow" gave an interesting description for 60198 describing the front as green, gray, and white with a log car and a crane car. An over watching tower and a truck. 5 mini figs included

The passenger train is supposed to be yellow and gray. At least 2 mini figs, and a small station. 

Im hoping the cargo engine will be another diesel similar to 60052. I just love 60052 so much and 10219 even more! 

He said the passenger train looks like the previous white one, I guess that means another ICE style? He also said the cargo train was like the previous.. but didn't say which previous engine. 

2 hours ago, theevilcrayonbox said:

Thank you very much for the info, theevilcrayonbox and welcome to EB! :classic:

From the description the passenger train doesn't seem to be that interesting. Plus I fear that the platform will again be much too small. :sceptic:

But the cargo train sounds great! I have been waiting for a log car and a crane car since many years. Plus an overwatching tower - very likely a small railway control center - is for sure a great addition. :thumbup:

I'd assume that both trains are electric trains (and none of them is diesel).

1 hour ago, Grrr said:

The Brick Show descriptions also included a confirmation of what appears to be a Lego Friends mini-monorail with the resort/hotel set based on the roller coaster track system.

Thank you very much for this info, Grrr! :classic:

I already commented about this in the Friends topic.

All sounds interesting, I can't wait to see how the freight train looks. If that 'over watching tower' is a signal box, I wonder what region of the world it will be based in. In fact, I wonder what everything is based on. Any more information regarding shape/style/number of cabs etc?

On 7/20/2017 at 2:06 PM, ColletArrow said:

And yes, passenger trains in a colour other than red or white would make a change. I'm instantly thinking yellow for some reason, but grey or dark blue would be more prototypical.

Oh, and called it! :grin:

Log Car... hmmm.... That whole set might go well together with this one here:

37261795184_d1d90ecb49_c.jpg

Looks like TLG is looking to integrate the Trains Line a bit better into their existing City landscape.

5 hours ago, Grrr said:

Hmm - technically that isn't a monorail then. To quote @LegoMonorailFan

223j7e.jpg

Good to hear TLG appear to be investing in the roller coaster track system though. Between the Pirate roller coaster set (31084) and this friends set there should be good track availability for custom rollercoasters. It may even have narrow gauge moc potential.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

All sounds interesting, I can't wait to see how the freight train looks. If that 'over watching tower' is a signal box, I wonder what region of the world it will be based in. In fact, I wonder what everything is based on. Any more information regarding shape/style/number of cabs etc?

Oh, and called it! :grin:

I had a look at the YouTube post from BrickShow (thanks @theevilcrayonbox ) and apparently 60198 will contain a "green, grey and white" freight loco, matching truck, "small orange" forklift, log wagon, crane wagon and gantry crane with "yellow beams and red cabinet" + 5 minifigs

The BrickShow also provided a bit more information on a Reddit thread. Apparently the loco is "identical to the blue one in the last cargo train set" - so it's basically just a recolour of 60052 in Octan-y colors with what sounds like a recoloured version of the gantry crane from 7939. I'm mildly disappointed with this but i do really like 60052 so don't mind a recolour of that loco.

The cargo wagons sound quite interesting and I have asked for a few more details on these on the Reddit thread.

Based on the information available, no way would this set justify the rumoured €249.99 price tag though.

The cargo train does sound interesting indeed. I really liked the 60052 so I too don't mind a recolor of it. The cars sound good too and 5 Minifigs isn't bad for a City Train Set. Overall, 60052 was a great set so what gives?

Already I'm not majorly interested in the passenger train. Passenger trains could be made so interesting, with twin deck cars and twin-cab engines but nooooo it has to be freakin high-speed-streamline-duplo-one-brick-crap. I can almost not express the dislike I have for these passenger trains. What remains is the 250€ set. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

If the cargo train is just a recoloured engine from 60052 with the same detail level plus the mentioned cars and tower it does not worth 250 EUR for sure. I hope there is something special in that set we don't know yet. I am also not interested in one piece nosed passenger train as well and agree that it could be made so interesting with some creativity. All in all  my hope goes for a new creator expert train set which probably will not happen in 2018 with these new city train releases...

7 hours ago, theevilcrayonbox said:

Well, while the freight train sounds like it has an interesting color scheme, the passenger train's color scheme of grey and yellow just sounds odd to me. I'm guessing that the grey will be the passenger train's predominant color, with yellow acting as the accenting color.

7 hours ago, Grrr said:

Whoa, sure enough! :oh:

Its pairing with what is described as a "resort/hotel" sounds like the set is trying to evoke Disney's Epcot.

I'm not very familiar with euro train's, but having seen the leaked promo video the cargo train seems to be in medium green and has a similar shape to this locomotive: 9fcd56da4381fd09481739b3c9e374ba--electr

Just now, Brickviller V2 said:

Wait, what? Where would one find such a video

Yeah where's a video? :O I only know of the The Brick Show "video" where there is no real video at all, he's just talking. 

Well, I'm not sure about this, but "The Brick Show" also confirmed 3 general Harry Potter sets along with 2 Fantastic Beasts sets. What if one of those Harry Potter sets is an updated Hogwarts Express? It's just a speculation from me, and I think it's a bit unlikely, but it would be a big surprise! :wub:

Ok, so we now have 2 contradicting descriptions. The BrickShow video (according to @ElectroDiva) says 60198 is a recolour of 60052, whereas @grimrecka says a different video shows it is similar to 7898. Hmm. Overall, the set (again, using the BrickShow description) seems to be a hodge-podge of bits from the preceding 3 waves' sets.

Either way, it seems unlikely to be able to reach the stated price, unless it is actually both locos in one set... or the price is just wrong.

@McWaffel Another reason I dislike the passenger train sets is the fact they are sold as 'lesser' sets, with barely enough track. Overall, they just seem a bit boring, which is a shame given some of them actually don't look too bad. That's why I'm interested to see if they've done anything differently with the new version.

@ScotNick Now that would be nice, a nice GWR castle (albeit in red), the previous one was a bit odd without the proper sized wheels.

Just now, ColletArrow said:

Now that would be nice, a nice GWR castle (albeit in red), the previous one was a bit odd without the proper sized wheels.

I do wonder how come Lego hadn't used the newly introduced large wheels from the Emerald Night for the last iteration of the Hogwarts Express, as that set had only came out a year after the Emerald Night. :def_shrug: