ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

Maybe the train is remaining the same with regards to complexity and size, but they're including much more track? Maybe more than the one switched siding?

Edited by Phoxtane
I accidentally a word

2 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Hmm, maybe something like the Factory Hobby Train 10183?

I certainly would hope so, because a multi-build/part pack type train set, if done right, would make up for much of the long periods of absence without any serious train sets. :smug:

Reminder: we are talking about a City train set. A set with a target audience of 6-12 year old boys. A set that is typically bought by parents or grandparents for xmas or birthday. Those parents don't care if there's more detail in the set; for a xmas present there's a huge difference between 180 and 250. In any currency.

Monorail on the new roller coaster tracks...

Edited by Grrr

But I like the idea of the use of the new roller coaster track for a train of some sort. Maybe a fair-ground-narrow-gauge train or something idk... :D 

Hmm, looking back over the last few pages, I think I've got a solid theory as to what will be happening next year:

There's at least two, potentially three, set numbers reserved for trains in 2018. One of the sets (the 'confidential' set) looks to have a much higher MSRP than you'd expect for the standard ages 6-12 trains starter set.

Based on these, I suspect we'll be getting three sets:

An updated commuter/passenger train with pantographs, tiny boarding platform, a scattering of minifigures, and some flex track standing in for straights on the tiny oval track.

A larger, more expensive cargo train, with a truck/forklift/crane, bits of cargo to move on/off the train, and three minifigures working in the freight yard, one of whom drives the train.

And, given the large price of the 'confidential' set, I'm hoping that's a new creator expert train. The fun part comes when we try to guess what real-life train it will be based on.

Just now, Phoxtane said:

Hmm, looking back over the last few pages, I think I've got a solid theory as to what will be happening next year:

<snip>

And, given the large price of the 'confidential' set, I'm hoping that's a new creator expert train. The fun part comes when we try to guess what real-life train it will be based on.

Except the confidential set # is in the city line, where the creator expert products usually start with a 1.. :(

Just now, bobbybats said:

Except the confidential set # is in the city line, where the creator expert products usually start with a 1.. :(

The sticking point here is the price, though! I can't imagine a Lego trains set that isn't a large fancy model aimed towards the older crowd that's that expensive. Unless, it has a lot more track. Presumably Lego's market research has told them that train sets of such prices don't sell well unless they're aimed towards adults.

Yeah... I wouldn't hold my breath on a creator expert train tbh. All the expert trains were numbered beginning with 1. I highly doubt Lego is going to change that now. It's really difficult to tell what that set it going to be but there's also a high chance, it will not be a train set at all! As far as I know, this mystery 250€ set isn't necessarily a train set.

Just now, McWaffel said:

Yeah... I wouldn't hold my breath on a creator expert train tbh. All the expert trains were numbered beginning with 1. I highly doubt Lego is going to change that now. It's really difficult to tell what that set it going to be but there's also a high chance, it will not be a train set at all! As far as I know, this mystery 250€ set isn't necessarily a train set.

For all we know, it could be a shed!

4 hours ago, Phoxtane said:

Unless, it has a lot more track.

Not likely! Why make a set more expensive with tracks, when you just can buy another set with only tracks...

9 hours ago, Steamdemon said:

For all we know, it could be a shed!

a 250€ shed? That'd better be a 7-8 track wide monster shed.

Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (no guarantees this will lead to anything)… but the latest LEGO Friends music video opens with a conspicuous shot of Heartlake City's monorail… :tongue:

13 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (no guarantees this will lead to anything)… but the latest LEGO Friends music video opens with a conspicuous shot of Heartlake City's monorail… :tongue:

Well, now THAT is interesting. *huh*

They could have simply done a normal railroad train, but instead they went with a monorail. Now I've always said that a monorail system would be a much more sleek and chic choice in public transportation over an old-timey traditional rail system for the Friends theme, so maybe... :classic:

Would have been super with a monorail, but not very likely. They have just released a new track system also, probably just a different company who made the video for Lego.. Are there anything else in the video except the figs/pets that are similar to any friends sets? :sceptic:

Edited by Roebuck

Just now, Roebuck said:

Would have been super with a monorail, but not very likely. They have just released a new track system also, probably just a different company who made the video for Lego.. Are there anything else in the video except the figs/pets that are similar to any friends sets? :sceptic:

There is Andrea's Park Performance 41334 (with a lot of imagination) at 0:45 but I think that's it. Even Stephanie' House doesn't look like Stephanie's House 41314.

In the town forum where we got the prices / set numbers they listed a new straights / curves track pack. Wild speculation - but what if the new track pack is for a monorail or other new system? 

When should we find out officially the summer sets? 

35 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Maybe not in this specific music video, but a lot of the other LEGO Friends videos uploaded today (in the same style) feature stylized versions of sets like the Friendship House, Art Cafe, Art Stand, etc.

Oh the speculation again... Well the trains seems clear: Train station, passenger train and cargo train. No real surprise there.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Friends train. And to me it looks more like a maglev than a monorail. Now that would be interesting.

7 minutes ago, Man with a hat said:

Oh the speculation again... Well the trains seems clear: Train station, passenger train and cargo train. No real surprise there.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Friends train. And to me it looks more like a maglev than a monorail. Now that would be interesting.

With electromagnets? That would require a different power system alltogether!

2 hours ago, bobbybats said:

In the town forum where we got the prices / set numbers they listed a new straights / curves track pack. Wild speculation - but what if the new track pack is for a monorail or other new system? 

When should we find out officially the summer sets? 

Hmm. You could be right...

On 12/30/2017 at 1:57 AM, bobbybats said:

@Brick Lover actually said 249.99€ .. not sure how that would translate to US store pricing, but still seems steep. Now, if it's good enough to be worth that much then it won't really matter, we'll all want it! 

It would be $299.99 in America. I heard a rumor that 60197 is possibly a passenger train set ($179.99) and things are pretty quiet about 60198 the $300 set. Lego is releasing a handful of very large sets this year in several themes over the $500 price range. I wouldn't doubt if 60198 isn't some sort of grand train station. Being that this marks the 60th year of the brick it seems like they are going all out with some of the larger planned sets.