ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

6 hours ago, WesternOutlaw said:

Sounds promising.  When I hear "Train Sub-theme", I'm thinking individual cars as add-ons.  I look forward to seeing what LEGO offers.

If there are goods vans, mail vans or a brake van, I'll be happy.

7 hours ago, WesternOutlaw said:

Sounds promising.  When I hear "Train Sub-theme", I'm thinking individual cars as add-ons.  I look forward to seeing what LEGO offers.

I think something like that could be currently viable, but not as a subtheme of City, but instead for Creator.

If done right, it could be a subtheme of three-in-one sets with one to two sets seen per year. Each set's main build would be of a particular type of locomotive, with two alternate builds for cars and/or coaches.

Just now, Steamdemon said:

Lego creator expert 3 in 1 locomotives? That's quite an interesting idea!

Well, after all, why limit them to the Creator Expert theme? 

These sets though still can be designed according to Creator Expert standards. For example, how about a $60-$80 three-in-one set with a British tank engine as the main build (and make it blue, because, why not? :wink:), with maybe other shorter based locomotives such as shunter diesels as alternate builds.

Also, it wouldn't be limited to brand stores like D2C sets, giving the set wider customer exposure across the retail environment. And, of course it will sell well, because what kid doesn't like tank engines? :classic:

Wouldn't mind a 4-6-0 tender engine. or a Baltic 4-6-4T like the Dreadnaught tanks. (ColletArrow will know what I am talking about.)

On 12/26/2017 at 11:04 PM, Steamdemon said:

ColletArrow will know what I am talking about.

I will? I have to admit I didn't recognise the name, and google failed me. But I think I know now what you mean; the L&YR Hughes 4-6-4T, right? Wikipedia doesn't have an image of the tender version, but it could be an interesting model.

As to the discussion of individual wagon/coach sets, it does seem unlikely unfortunately. I imagine we'll get the usual city passenger train, cargo train and station, hopefully with another level crossing set this year though.

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:

Over in the 2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion thread, @Brick Lover has revealed that set 60197 will be a passenger train. However, no other sets (cargo train, station etc) have been mentioned. 60198 is named as confidential, and 60196 is just missing though; could these be the missing sets? Or are we going to get an even smaller range this year?

Edited by ColletArrow

On 12/27/2017 at 6:03 AM, ColletArrow said:

Over in the 2018 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion thread, @Brick Lover has revealed that set 60197 will be a passenger train. However, no other sets (cargo train, station etc) have been mentioned. 60198 is named as confidential, and 60196 is just missing though; could these be the missing sets? Or are we going to get an even smaller range this year?

The last two times we've had city trains the set numbers went station-passenger-cargo, so IF that continues and 60197 is a passenger train then 60198 would be a cargo train and 60196 would be a station. . 

7937/60050 Stations
7938/60051 Passenger Trains
7939/60052 Cargo Trains

My thoughts: Given that City trains really must appeal to KFOL to sell and since newer sets have been much sleeker/realistic, I don't know if we'll ever see a City steam engine.. but what's left for them to do? I'm not a real life train fan, so not sure what's out there. Maybe I'm wrong and kids do like steam engines, but I can't see one in their marketing for modern cities. 

They've done the high speed passenger train, so I'm hoping for a commuter or subway shaped train of some sort.

For the cargo side, looking at 60098 kinda being a rehash of 7939's shape and 60052 being the last cargo train - maybe we'll get a green remake of 3677? Again, not sure what other train engine types there are for inspiration. 

I wonder if they'll start making trains like Police/Fire - rehash the old ones once they figure out what sells best. 

So to quote @Brick Lover 

60197 will cost $149 and the 60198 is running at $249... How much did the Horizon Express cost at the time? Or the Emerald Night?

HE was $130, but wasn't a city set that included PF. 

Edited by bobbybats

A 249$ train set, whether passenger or freight, is indeed very intriguing news!

Also, has there been any mention of PF 2.0 components?

Curious to see what the $249 train might be. HE was half a train.  Many people didn't like buying two sets.  But it was easier to buy the two halves with a few months in between @ $130 each, so as not to raise red flags on the credit bill with the financial auditor.  Your train mileage may vary.  :laugh:

30 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Curious to see what the $249 train might be. HE was half a train....

Ooooh imagine 249$ for half a train!?! Who'd spring for that?

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Curious to see what the $249 train might be. HE was half a train.  Many people didn't like buying two sets.  But it was easier to buy the two halves with a few months in between @ $130 each, so as not to raise red flags on the credit bill with the financial auditor.  Your train mileage may vary.  :laugh:

@Brick Lover actually said 249.99€ .. not sure how that would translate to US store pricing, but still seems steep. Now, if it's good enough to be worth that much then it won't really matter, we'll all want it! 

1 hour ago, bobbybats said:

@Brick Lover actually said 249.99€ .. not sure how that would translate to US store pricing, but still seems steep. Now, if it's good enough to be worth that much then it won't really matter, we'll all want it! 

I think the price seems a bit steep because the source got the scandinavian prices which are always much higher than most other countries. ..249,99€ is insane for a regular train set.

It's over 100€ more than the most expensive City set from 2017 - trains are usually the only thing in that price bracket for the theme so I can't imagine what else it would be... This hobby definitely doesn't get any cheaper!!

Edited by PeteM

10 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Indeed! :sweet:

BTW, do we have confirmation of a "PF 2.0"?

5 hours ago, Brickviller V2 said:

I think the price seems a bit steep because the source got the scandinavian prices which are always much higher than most other countries. ..249,99€ is insane for a regular train set.

The RRP for 60052 was €179.99 and that was released in 2014 so an extra €70 on the RRP isn't *that* insane for a new flagship train set after 4 years - especially if it is more detailed.

In any case, as a non D2C set it should get decent discounts (30%+) if you just wait a few months.

8 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Curious to see what the $249 train might be. HE was half a train.

As a cargo set I think having one loco doesn't matter as much. The HE looked very incomplete with one loco and 2 carriages.

I'm hoping for a nice detailed loco (Maersk train level of detail) and 3-4 useful cargo wagons - with a container wagon, an Octan gas/fuel wagon and a hazardous materials wagon of some kind.

A side build of a gas/fuel or hazardous materials loading depot would be nice with some appropriate minifigs.

Please god no helicopters or crappy low piece count cars/diggers etc.

1 minute ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

BTW, do we have confirmation of a "PF 2.0"?

I think I read somewhere that it may be coming for the technics winter 2018 wave.

If that's true, I don't think they'll be changing up the existing power functions for trains in 2018.

Edited by ElectroDiva

On 12/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, ElectroDiva said:

The RRP for 60052 was €179.99 and that was released in 2014 so an extra €70 on the RRP isn't *that* insane for a new flagship train set after 4 years - especially if it is more detailed.

Err... an increase of nearly 40% is a huge jump in my books. Inflation has been next to nothing over the past four years so I wouldn't expect the next City Freight train to cost more than €190.

RRP €250 would be a good idea if you're a manager who wants to kill City Trains, otherwise it make no sense.

Well, I wouldn't take those RRP for the final true prices. I believe they are deduced from another currency and most likely wrong anyway. AT least that's what I understood from the comments in the Town sectioon. So just wait and see.

Hey at least we know for certain, we're getting a new passenger train! :O That's great news. Let's just hope it'll be a good one. I didn't like any of the passenger trains that were released after the Santa Fe. With the exception of the Expert Models of course.

2 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Well, I wouldn't take those RRP for the final true prices. I believe they are deduced from another currency and most likely wrong anyway. AT least that's what I understood from the comments in the Town sectioon. So just wait and see.

I believe each country/region set their own prices based on exchange rate with DDK, costs of doing business in that country/region, what the citizens are willing or able to pay, etc.  At one point, Canadian prices were less when converted to US Dollars.  Most other years, Americans get the better deal.

On 31/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, Duq said:

Err... an increase of nearly 40% is a huge jump in my books. Inflation has been next to nothing over the past four years so I wouldn't expect the next City Freight train to cost more than €190.

RRP €250 would be a good idea if you're a manager who wants to kill City Trains, otherwise it make no sense.

If it's a like for like replacement/recolour (like previous years), I would agree with you it should be < €190, but with a higher piece count and more detailed builds it might be worth a higher price no?

Hypothetically speaking, what would it need to have for an RRP of €250 to be justified?

28 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

If it's a like for like replacement/recolour (like previous years), I would agree with you it should be < €190, but with a higher piece count and more detailed builds it might be worth a higher price no?

Hypothetically speaking, what would it need to have for an RRP of €250 to be justified?

Honestly, I want more than three bland freight cars. I want a legitimate hopper or boxcar etc. Not some flatbeds with a helicopter and industrial wires (although I really did like the industrial wires). Or detailed side builds. No trucks, we don't need any more trucks with trains.

21 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

Hmm, maybe something like the Factory Hobby Train 10183?

With different wheel-diameters in different colours, Motor-decoration 2871b in red and DBG and also in new shape like e.g. ALCO B-Trucks, tan train windows, train-doors, 6x28 train-bases in black and enough spare parts not only to build a single engine but also matching coatch(es).... :wub:

Sorry.... must have been some sort of dream......

Happy New Year