ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

How about an expert creator thomas the tank engine?

You mean something like the LB&SCR E2 class?

I would like to see the GNR N2 class, 1744, condenser and all, recreated into Lego. With working driving rods, and pistons. Yeah, my favourite tank locomotive is the GNR N2.

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

How about an expert creator thomas the tank engine?

Man, how I wish. 

But, unfortunately the franchise is practically OWNED by Mattel. :angry:

18 minutes ago, Steamdemon said:

You mean something like the LB&SCR E2 class?

That at least could be a more viable option in light of what I had just pointed out above. EB user @ScotNick had done a very nice rendition of that tank engine, along with one in TTTE colors as seen in the picture and Flickr album below.

Flickr - LBSCR E2 - Thomas the Tank Engine

LBSCR E2

I would absolutely love an Emerald-Knight-Style Hogwarts Express. But also I would like to see something like an ES44DC or a LNER Class A4 that would be super cool

On 06/11/2017 at 2:01 AM, dr_spock said:

A proper Creator Expert Hogwarts Express would be cool.  There are still a lot of Potter fans out there that it might be a good business case.

There were some rumours knocking around recently of a D2C Hogwarts next year.

What better way to get there than a Hogwarts Express tie in :)

I've never really been a Harry Potter fan, but I could definitely see Lego doing another rendition of the train, more along the lines of the EN.

I feel that trains are not a high priority for Lego these days (I am sure they look at the results of Lego Ideas and see how long it takes for the votes to accrue for a train-related MOC).

Unless they introduced a theme that made trains a part of the core story, I can't see any trains being released any time soon.

I could imagine a steam train, although since the Winter Holiday Train came out just last year I think that's rather unlikely. I also doubt we'll get an American style cargo train. I could however see a European style commuter train or shunter engines coming out. 

Personally though I would love a come back of the Santa Fe (so I can buy myself another one and some cars to go with it since 12 year old me only got the engine and one car at the time). Also a Emerald Night Style Hogwartsexpress would be absolutely fantastic! I would want to buy two of those but that wouldn't make much sense. 

A railway crossing and some auxiliary buildings like a shed, a water tower, a cleaning facility, a cargo hub or something else that could go along would be nice... wishful thinking. :grin:

If there's something really really awesome, I'm definitely going to spend good money on new trains. If only I knew beforehand what was going to come, I would probably buy another one of the blue cargo trains (since those are pretty damn awesome) if I didn't like what was coming out next year... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

6 hours ago, McWaffel said:

I could imagine a steam train, although since the Winter Holiday Train came out just last year I think that's rather unlikely. I also doubt we'll get an American style cargo train. I could however see a European style commuter train or shunter engines coming out. 

Personally though I would love a come back of the Santa Fe (so I can buy myself another one and some cars to go with it since 12 year old me only got the engine and one car at the time). Also a Emerald Night Style Hogwarts Express would be absolutely fantastic! I would want to buy two of those but that wouldn't make much sense. 

A railway crossing and some auxiliary buildings like a shed, a water tower, a cleaning facility, a cargo hub or something else that could go along would be nice... wishful thinking. :grin:

If there's something really really awesome, I'm definitely going to spend good money on new trains. If only I knew beforehand what was going to come, I would probably buy another one of the blue cargo trains (since those are pretty damn awesome) if I didn't like what was coming out next year... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I wouldn't mind getting Hogwarts Express, or a shed with services for both diesel and steam. Complete with turntable. I want somewhere where I can park my 0-4-4-0T, other than my shelf. She's sitting on my display track.

Ok, I don't know if that fit's here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It does look like the new axles&wheels from the rollercoaster from set 70922 The Joke Manor will fit on 4w track. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix them to any "normal" piece while still rolling free, but they do look spectacular. Here's a pic:

26602980329_4d6058d4ed_c.jpg70922 The Joker Manor by The Brothers Brick, on Flickr

What do you guys think?

P.S. to the Mods: If this is wrong here, feel free to move it anywhere else.

Edited by ScotNick

16 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I'd love an actual roller coaster set though!

Yeah, that would be good, but what would it look like? Would it use narrow gauge, a different gauge, or something totally different? Also, something like this could not have junctions like a railway does.

32 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I'd love an actual roller coaster set though!

There's Brickcoaster, you could check that out. Alex Nunes has one on his YouTube channel if you want to see a good video of one. It's motorized too

Just found this on a Japanese AFOLs YouTube channel:

He's been playing around with WeDo 2.0 for locomotives. Seems pretty cool - allows for Bluetooth control, automation, sound, some limited light effects.

Wondering if we could see something like this used in the 2018 trains as TLG move to Power Functions 2

Hi, I'm new as a member, but have been reading train related threads on here for at least 2, if not 3 years.

I've got some info that is more likely to be relevant to 2019+...

I was talking with someone (who I think it best not to name) who works for a lego supplier on the creation of the metal molding blocks that the different bricks and pieces get make in.

He was telling about a piece redesign that the guys in the department have been tasked with creating for train related uses "from what he could tell". (We got onto the subject as he knows I'm keen in anything involving trains and Lego!)

He knows it is 6x16 stud dimensions with a cut for a motor. He said the CAD design wasn't his responsibility so he said no more info on that aspect. Also that the first drafts were to be in blue, but the piece would see future use in black, most likely.

THIS PART ONWARDS IS CONJECTURE...

I've looked into parts that he might mean, and here are a couple pictures of what it could possibly be based part wise on. (See 2 pictures)

Make of this what you will, but I think it is more likely to be similar to the second one (without the buffers) as it is more versatile piece and could have other uses.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I wasn't very concise!

James

4178.gif

3058.png

@JEB314 (James) - welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that very interesting rumour.

Here's another WeDo / Powerfunctions 2.0 video from the same AFOL showing a train build:

That cutaway base could conceivably be used to accommodate a motor and transmission like that 

Edited by ElectroDiva

1 hour ago, Steamdemon said:

So, in theory, we could have tenders that had either the 9v era motor or the PF motor. That would be awesome.

Or even some form of shorter diesel shunter or tank engine with all 3 PF parts in the one place thus no need to have wires going to a covered van or carriage for the battery box especially...

Admittedly the engine would be rather chunky, but that has the plus point of being more suitable for children in the 6-12 age range that Lego would probably say on the box.

I think if we see a passenger train c.£110 (LRRP), a freight train c.£150 (LRRP) and some sort of station in which ever form it takes in the "Summer 2018" round of sets, then in 2019, (much like 2015 relative to 2014) I'm going to stick my neck out and say we may get another freight set, but this one slightly smaller with a lower price tag of c.£100-110ish with a shunting engine, wood wagon, coal wagon and caboose/breakvan. As Lego aren't stupid and will have seen how popular with people spliting sets, the coal hopper was for example from set 60098 was, and in reviews how people said it was a great wagon, thus my prediction on wagon types...

Overall, for fan's of trains, city, moc building, collecting, etc, this could make for a very interesting prospect... If I'm right, which I probably won't be, I will buy anywhere from 2 to 4 of such a set, as I'm sure many other hardcore Lego fans would...

Hi everyone, I've been read this topic for 4 years)

I'm waiting for a future sets also! And I think, we can predict a future city train set) All previous sets was a mirror of real trends in railway industry. So we should to find a new world famous train. And probably we can wait it in 2018 train serie. So for passenger train the most likely option is new amtrack speed train. Lego can use a front part of passenger train 60051 in LBGrey colour. In roof will be used a curved slopes, and train will have colour sheme like 4558 metroliner, but with blue roof. I do not see other candidates for this. Maybe you?

For cargo train, my opinion... it will be an electro locomotive. Now eco and green technology in trend, loco couldn't be a diesel. So, it can't be a redesign of 4564 or 3677. Maybe it will be something more aerodinamic than 60098. Wagons probably will be: oil container or classic containers, box car and platform with windmill or someting like this.

I'm not waiting for creator trains. But if it will be - my bet on subway or steam train in dark-red sheme. Like DB steam trains.

ff9b917_10956-mrj4vr.jpg

startseite_image1.jpg

Edited by 00bricker

@00bricker - welcome to the forum.

I think the new accounts showing up for people to join in the debate about new Lego Trains is a good sign of the amount of anticipation out there.

Good call on the Amtrak train - something like that would be very welcome as the passenger train (for me at least)

On the freight train, I don't mind what they go for as long as it's not a recolour of an existing loco and as long as they don't pair it with odd cargo like a helicopter again

2 hours ago, 00bricker said:

ff9b917_10956-mrj4vr.jpg

I believe your suggestion of the Amtrak train, could be a genuine possibility! The look is entirely feasible for Lego to recreate and with the history of the Metroliner, it has a certain amount of logicality to it as well! I predict would go down a storm if Lego even did something close to it!

As for the freight train, if they go down the hybrid root, may I suggest the possibility of a yellow and green locomotive, similar in colour scheme of the Bus from the Bus Station set! It would tie in nicely as a kind of hybrid company. They could have wagons carrying things related to renewable energy, like a solar panel carrying wagon, one with wind turbine blades and a natural gas tanker. There could be a little hybrid truck/van too for carrying things and the build next to the track could be the wind turbine!

Very exciting stuff!

Edited by JEB314 (James)
(CLICKED SAVE BY ACCIDENT)

Could the modular train station be ‘modular like the skate house’ rather than ‘modular like assembly square’?

I know that they have had a few City modulars this year rather than the full CE modulars and if they’re doing more for next year then it would make sense for the station to move that way. 

5 minutes ago, NotToScale said:

Could the modular train station be ‘modular like the skate house’ rather than ‘modular like assembly square’?

As far as the rumor for an Expert scale modular train station goes, I think that has been pretty much shot down, since the discussion is now focused on a leaked purported image of next year's modular, a 1950's styled diner specifically. We're just waiting now to see if it is real or not.