Roadmonkeytj

Hermanos de Sangre WIP thread

-Comments are welcome -

Scroll through the progress see the changes as she goes.

How she currently sits:

IMG_20171219_023708

Now on to the build:

I figured i would post a wip thread for my first MOC ship ... I built and tore apart quite a bit trying to get to where i am at this point.  I don't really have a plan im going off of but more a general goal ... Im by no means a historian on ships but i know the general shape im looking for.

38080437251_3dbd1fa340_z.jpg

There are very few ships that have rams so i wanted one on mine 

38048619852_7d6ea6884f_z.jpg%22 

The helm is working via technic parts ... Wish i took pictures of that.  But you crank the wheel and the rudder moves via chains.

37371315634_6178c0ea7e_z.jpg

This took a bit of work but it was something i loved on my 90s era lego ships.  

38080451021_b8c227fbfd_z.jpg

The capitans quarters is quite large for such a small ship but I wanted something a pirate could live in ... All the movies show a large state room lol.  The ship does have a hold that can be accessed through the gun deck ... Which will be open in the center.

24228404848_060038125f_z.jpg

I intend to use a combination of built small guns on top of the ship and the standard lego cannons on the gun deck.  Im still waiting on four more cannons (the dark pearl shooting) as the rest of my cannons are the old grey imperial non shooting.

37370560814_3ed9569d80_z.jpg

I loved a depiction i saw with a spiral staircase to access the bridge? So I borrowed a method i had seen before as I don't think the potter stairs look navel enough.

The helm I intend to redo ... As i started the design not realizing the space and the whole build has revolved around the working helm I made it more structural because early in the process it was just sitting up top with nothing but a hull.

Im redoing the tops of the gun deck so i can incorporate a gang way and forecastle deck (although only large enough for the mortars)  speaking of im not sure I will be keeping them fully mobile as they are now ... May opt for a stationary setup that appears to be mobile.  Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Rebuilt

Made some changes and some progress last night.

26318366449_c30a96dd6f_z.jpg

Still toying with the idea of a closed gun deck or open ... I have four medium cannons and three small left i can put on original plan was four med in middle and two mall up front and i had a spare ... Im sure if i dig deeper i can find the remaining parts to make a fourth little cannon

I think though if i enclose it I will make two shorter curved stairs in the same style to the deck.  I feel like the shore boat is too big but then i think its just right ...

Moved the ladder to the center ... I had an idea but wasn't going to work out

Not sure the bridge? Will stay this way but it is for now

24242504138_7ec3232996_z.jpg

Worked on the rear of the ship added chase cannons

Ditched the swivels for now.

26318368009_3f2d1fde09_z.jpg

Was playing with mast ideas not sure if i want to stick old school or go new school

26318367419_385e594cf3_z.jpg

Have yet to furnish it but the cabin is visible via both sides

24242503508_33c8bb4737_z.jpg

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Added verbage

She seems a wee bit tall in the hull.  Perhaps that's what you're after, but if you're looking for accuracy, and assuming this is intended to only be above the waterline, she'll be a bit top heavy, and a large target.  Lowering the hull may make her look a lot faster as well as make her harder to hit.  Alternately (or additionally), you could try lengthening it, which would make it sleeker, as well as give you more room for guns.  If I'm judging this correctly, you've got two center sections, right?  If you want to keep the hull that tall, you might want to double that.

I don't know that rams were common during this time period, as you'd probably de-mast yourself if you rammed anybody with enough speed to cause damage.  That being said, I think that it's a clever idea, that makes your ship stand out, and makes her look more dangerous!  Your captain may de-mast himself, but he would in all likelihood deliver a fatal blow to his opponent!

I like how simple your captain's cabin access is, and I'm looking forward to seeing the interior you come up with for that.  Your stern details are great, and the stained glass is a nice touch.  I also like the stern chasers, and I think your idea for bow mortars is a good one.  Also, could I trouble you for some more pictures of your staircase?  I think that's a really nice addition.

24418622378_233897da97_z.jpg

So i added some center sections ... I like the length but i almost feel its too long ... Might take out a section this is five now was two like a standard lego boat.  Have to substitute my black pieces out for red ... Didn't grab all the parts bins when I redid this

38289388001_f646fc13e7_z.jpg

This is why i feel its too long ... Its dwarfing the pearl set which i thought was big compared to my 90s sets 

38235193166_6fc8a496ee_z.jpg

I snapped a picture of the drive mechanism for the rudder ... There is a lot of gear reduction to get the right movement of the wheel and rudder 

37578527774_fe622608d5_z.jpg

I'm thinking this will work out for the floor of the gun deck

Here are more detailed pictures of the stairs ... I will be splitting this in two and have two shorter cases that will lead to the gangways and Capitan quarters ... Which i believe i will relocate to two doors instead of one

37579203704_424732dd39_z.jpg38235130166_38e3233acb_z.jpg37579187884_2555c1684d_z.jpg

I like your use of levers as the stair railings.  That's very clever, and looks pretty cool.

I'd say your proportions are pretty good with five center hull sections, but I get what you're saying.  My flagship started with three, I think, and now has five.  Each time I lengthened it, I worried that I was making it too long, but once I was done I found it was better than before.  I don't think I'll go larger than five, though.  I think all of the masters, like Captain Greenhair, have stopped at five.  If you're set on shortening it, I wouldn't go shorter than four, if I were you.

The rudder mechanism is very impressive, by the way.  I've never attempted one, but I've always been envious of those who have pulled it off.  Part of why I haven't tried it, I think, is that I'd want to leave the mechanism exposed so I can show it off to people.  It's good that you're taking pictures of it now, before it gets closed in.

I see some nice details in your build, especially the stairs, the hidden mechanism, the innovative bow and the really nice stern! An advise would be to try to incorporate the gray section of those prefab pieces you are using and try to break the monotony of red-black if you can (and have the bricks of course). All in all a very nice try. Keep it up and we are eagerly awaiting for your next steps in building it!

8 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

I see some nice details in your build, especially the stairs, the hidden mechanism, the innovative bow and the really nice stern! An advise would be to try to incorporate the gray section of those prefab pieces you are using and try to break the monotony of red-black if you can (and have the bricks of course). All in all a very nice try. Keep it up and we are eagerly awaiting for your next steps in building it!

As far as the grey goes i have limited selection of the blueish grey all my grey is old grey ... I found some all red hulls on bricklink just haven't placed the order ... I was trying to keep with red and black because i have the most of those colors ... Ive thought about adding touches of yellow but im not sure how to weave it in at this point ... 

23 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I like your use of levers as the stair railings.  That's very clever, and looks pretty cool.

I'd say your proportions are pretty good with five center hull sections, but I get what you're saying.  My flagship started with three, I think, and now has five.  Each time I lengthened it, I worried that I was making it too long, but once I was done I found it was better than before.  I don't think I'll go larger than five, though.  I think all of the masters, like Captain Greenhair, have stopped at five.  If you're set on shortening it, I wouldn't go shorter than four, if I were you.

The rudder mechanism is very impressive, by the way.  I've never attempted one, but I've always been envious of those who have pulled it off.  Part of why I haven't tried it, I think, is that I'd want to leave the mechanism exposed so I can show it off to people.  It's good that you're taking pictures of it now, before it gets closed in.

Well I might have to take a few more pictures because there's two gear sections one up top of the captain's cabin and the other below ... This is revision 13 i believe lol that was a long night figuring out what i had already built three times didn't travel far enough when i got the helm mounted then discovered my setup would get locked up is you turned the rudder by hand. 

I was thinking four mid sections ... I know he used 5 in the tutorial thread... It just seems so long ... But then again i was wanting to redo the pearl ... Im actually really disappointed in the set but i had to have it because i love the ship in movie form and the real life pearl.

My original kits I kit bashed lol

38294092372_0518cd77bb_z.jpg24455184448_72a0a01234_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I was thinking four mid sections ... I know he used 5 in the tutorial thread... It just seems so long ... But then again i was wanting to redo the pearl ... Im actually really disappointed in the set but i had to have it because i love the ship in movie form and the real life pearl.

From what I understand, a lot of people were disappointed by the Pearl set.  I don't have one, so I can't say much, but the rudder looked ridiculous.

On my ships, I generally have three colors in the hull, plus a two color checker pattern to liven things up a bit (minus the brown hull, of course).  With one exception, though, mine are all black with a thick white stripe, and a thin blue stripe at the top of the white.  The checker pattern is a ways above the thin blue stripe.  My only exception uses yellow instead of white, but doesn't have the blue stripe.

Going with a red hull is a difficult call.  I've experimented with breaking from my normal brown hull with black and white pattern, but I've never been satisfied with the result, so none of my experiments in that have ever seen the light of day.  I believe it was Achille that at one point was black with a thick red stripe that looked really good, but using red as the primary color is very different.  You're off to a pretty good start here, though, and I think you should stick with it.  You might want to think about making the decks tan instead of black or red, to brighten things up and add a third color without having to mess with the hull itself.  Another idea may be to "tile" the decks, to make it look like they're planks.  It removes a lot of the playability, as any minifigs you put on it will have to balance on their own, but it looks terrific.  I've wound up going back and tiling all of mine after experimenting on one ship and seeing how good it looked.

4 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

From what I understand, a lot of people were disappointed by the Pearl set.  I don't have one, so I can't say much, but the rudder looked ridiculous.

On my ships, I generally have three colors in the hull, plus a two color checker pattern to liven things up a bit (minus the brown hull, of course).  With one exception, though, mine are all black with a thick white stripe, and a thin blue stripe at the top of the white.  The checker pattern is a ways above the thin blue stripe.  My only exception uses yellow instead of white, but doesn't have the blue stripe.

Going with a red hull is a difficult call.  I've experimented with breaking from my normal brown hull with black and white pattern, but I've never been satisfied with the result, so none of my experiments in that have ever seen the light of day.  I believe it was Achille that at one point was black with a thick red stripe that looked really good, but using red as the primary color is very different.  You're off to a pretty good start here, though, and I think you should stick with it.  You might want to think about making the decks tan instead of black or red, to brighten things up and add a third color without having to mess with the hull itself.  Another idea may be to "tile" the decks, to make it look like they're planks.  It removes a lot of the playability, as any minifigs you put on it will have to balance on their own, but it looks terrific.  I've wound up going back and tiling all of mine after experimenting on one ship and seeing how good it looked.

I like the look of the tiled decks as well however that would be a large link order as i don't have nearly enough even for a small area.  I actually shortened it by one midsection today ... Didn't take any pictures though.  It drops two guns off the side but looks a lot better and proportionate.  The 5 looked great as far as the curve so i will keep that for a future endeavor.  

The half formulated back story was two brothers worked for a greedy profiteer i mean privateer.  One night the capitan sailed the ship towards pirate infested waters the capitan tried to double cross the pirate capitan and steal back the cargo he had just sold.  When caught the capitan betrayed the loyal brothers claiming they had arranged the robbery.  The capitan escaped leaving the brothers stranded.  Then and there the brothers vowed to search the seas to bring the greedy capitan down ... After sailing with a band of pirates and amassing a small fortune the captured a badly damaged ship the brothers made a deal with their current capitan to keep the ship instead of scuttling it.  The brothers remasted it and reworked it to be a deadly hunter capable of bringing their old foe down.  It was a beautiful ship.  But when one of the brothers was killed by a mutiny started by a spy the remaining brother killed all of the crew accept the loyal ones making them take a blood oath to loyalty from that day on the ship was repainted and redecorated.  It is a legend murmured in the taverns as they never show mercy and only attack the ships of their former capitans vast fleet despite flying the skull and cross.

So more rework ... Or is it progress? Seems like i tear apart what i just did to get where i am lol

24492817018_486f93281c_z.jpg

The staircase was redesigned ... Im really happy with them both sides come down then there's a short flight that leads back into the capitan cabin.  The door system was redesigned here as well.

24492839978_5c5510985a_z.jpg

There can't be a center door due to the rudder linkage

26588539609_a31aa77a56_z.jpg

Its hard to see but the short stairs are actually three tail fins separated by a plate to give the same spacing.  The angle is perfect to let the doors open i also used one at the top to give me the right angle at the base

38333014522_35aee2e974_z.jpg

37649895634_7a82c725ac_z.jpg

I added length and redesigned the bow set the mast in deeper and reinforced it im pretty happy with it even though it wasn't that common i find it menacing

37649722864_94aa30a6e1_z.jpg

Im not sure that this will stay on the boom but i like it for now - you can see the forward cannons as well

24493021578_12894dc9c0_z.jpg

The grey bothers me but i want to order the all red hulls if it turns out they are advertised incorrect and they are the same i will have to order some bricks to tie in the hull stripe ... You can see i redid the windows also

24493141998_1d0fb35ece_z.jpg

Im not happy with the gangways so i will be redoing them

37649830294_d0ba997e54_z.jpg

But im liking the mortars on the forcastle

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Editor being screwy

The mortars are one of the best features, I think.

Like I said before on the ram, it's not period accurate, but it looks cool!  What you've done with the stairs is terrific, and I've done a similar thing with the doors on several ships that I've done, only with a mast separating the doors instead of steering linkage.  I think it looks great- it actually makes it look foreboding, like Satan is gonna come out of there or something.

8 minutes ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

The mortars are one of the best features, I think.

.... I think it looks great- it actually makes it look foreboding, like Satan is gonna come out of there or something.

That's sorta the idea I was building around sort of like the pearl a ship that inspires fear when seen on the horizon

Im really liking the mortars as well its something i didn't see on too many builds... And the spiral stairs had to stay they just look awesome i think was just a matter of figuring out how to incorporate them.  I still have the four loose med cannons that i wanted to put on the top deck.  Got a lil distracted today and added a section to the pearl looks good next to each other accept for the mast spacing either need to move the main back or add a third.

If you hadn't put in the working rudder, I would've said to move your helm and put a third mast there.  Since it's not really an option, though...

I would suggest moving your center mast back a bit, and maybe adding a section to your aft mast.  You probably don't want to fully rig that one, though, maybe lateen rig it or something- and it may already be the right length for that.  It might be too far aft to look ok, but I would try that before doing anything more drastic.  I think your foremast is right about where it should be, so I'd leave that there if possible.

So unfortunately i don't have the actual "work in progress" photos from last night as the phone was dead.   But here's what transpired...

I tore the ship down to the hull ... Save for the captains stairwell aft ...

I installed a winch string that tied off two broken chains i had ... Had to make use of them somehow ... So it has duel anchors I ran an axel rod ... Two actually with a coupler to the center of the ship ... Installed a 90 degree bevel gear set ... Then build an entire lower deck around this set up ... Unfortunately this raised my gun deck (was slopped to a 4 brick wide center) now the floor is flat across the three center sections. So there's technically only room for minifigs to stand at the front three cannons ... Unless i employ dwarf legs on the gun deck crew ... But a good optical illusion unless you are a brick counter. There is a ladder that goes up to the mortars from the gun deck but it comes out with the mast so you can see the doors to the "rest of the ship"

37814542784_22159c8cba_z.jpg

38498492812_dd1d675061_z.jpg

So I built a temporary capstan (believe thats the name) which hauls in ways anchors.  Im sure it wasn't common for two anchors on a ship of this size but its there none the less just like the ram ... Because it looks cool and the chicks dig it

26754861779_f33eea1744_z.jpg

38474871576_4115b77ef4_z.jpg

Then I reinstalled the side walls and decided that since i found the parts to the fourth small cannon that i would use them on the upper deck. So i attempted to fit the medium guns under the forecastle ... I wasn't satisfied with the result so it was fitted standard cannons.

38474158436_86801ce35a_z.jpg

38499089092_63e7510d8d_z.jpg

I refitted the mortars and reworked the railings a bit because of the cannons but I'm happy with the change ... I need to find a different way to tie off the sail on the bow ... Don't know its technical name .... Its from the old imperial trading post ship ... Its too small to use on any boat sail accept maybe a royal or is it top? The upper one lol.  The original boat was only 6 bricks wide.  But i utilized it here and the spanker looks ok but i will probably change it.  The sails will be custom or I'll use the pearl sails as i have half a set already from a ebay lot. 

24657568748_ac223c84e9_z.jpg

Ive finally found a character that i feel matches the attitude of the ship ... Something i try to do with all my skippers ... Now I just need a good name for the "revenge seeking surviving brother"

38498063272_257ecc8848_z.jpg

I discovered while walking through walmart at midnight ... No im not a freak lol just work second shift ... Took a walk down the lego isle as I often tend to do around christmas time to check out the deals and see new sets ... I gotta say i like some of the creator sets but i noticed something ... As i was picking up sets I was looking at them not as what a cool set but as what can I use in building a ship ... Lol well just so happens i reach the bagged lego sets ... Im particularly fond of these because i always got three or four in a stocking stuffer.  I look through them and there's a cool hot rod (always wished for stuff like this when i was growing up) but everything else was lego movie batman or ninja theme ... At first i overlooked them but picked the bags back up ... Jack pot ship parts for decoration lol i need to go back and buy three more to get enough red legs to swap all of the white out ... The Captain's photo shows how it will look when finished but this is the whole bridge currently ... Didn't move the helm but did have the space to install the mast.

38499001722_42360b9339_z.jpg

I now have a four gun upper deck and gangways to the forecastle now

26755137339_42d723a1a8_z.jpg

Still need to work out the yard arms and sails ... The rigging is just to give me an idea of where it will fall i don't plan on using these.  I haven't decided if i want to take the dive into rigging yet ... I know i love the look but i know if i do i wont ever want to use lego rigging again lol

26755108369_75fb2a6182_z.jpg

I tried a setup with the sheets and a blanket over the headboard ... I like the result unfortunately the photos are kinda fuzzy as i was in a hurry cause i had a three year old wanting to undo every part of the ship trying to look at it lol that and my cell is a cheepo lol

26754983659_09a3f5bd27_z.jpg

And yes that may be batmans cape but this Capitan wears it better

37814197044_8fb6552cd6_z.jpg

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Pictures not linking correctly

Shes drawing near completion ... I plan to rig this and add sails (custom but similar sized to lego sails although mismatched sets lol ... I decided against the pearl sails as the mounting locations are completely different on new from old style masts.  The rigging thats on it now is temporary I wanted to get some yards hung so i played with it some lol like i said i want to rig it ... Does anyone have a source for the woven thread lego uses i read it somewhere but i cant find the thread ... Pun intended.   I changed the mortars im happy with them may try to find those plates in black instead of tan though.  Added a capitans cabin ... Dont yell at me the chairs are not lego but when i was sorting out my legos i couldnt bring myself to toss them in the giveaway box.  I think they are fitting here.   Yes the capitan has a thing for Rubys and a great smile as can be seen on his cabin mate.  Also a neat picture of the actual sun coming in the stain glass.  Moved the guns forward due to rigging conflicts still need to put my order in for final touch up items .... Lets see if you notice any other changes...

26850858899_a0320275e4_z.jpg

26850857119_6db00896b5_z.jpg

26850858739_3ee28478f7_z.jpg

26850858609_41a8af4474_z.jpg

26850858389_cc6bd9b6b7_z.jpg

26850858229_186bfcc9f9_z.jpg

26850857539_c3d1216dce_z.jpg

26850856689_b5d1d8170e_z.jpg

26850855879_c1530acab4_z.jpg

26850855519_7c2d4f610f_z.jpg

26850857339_e465a38260_z.jpg

26850855069_394a894b56_z.jpg

It's been very interesting watching this ship take form!  I do recommend making your own sails for this, I think the ones that come with sets generally don't work with MOCs.  I'd also recommend making your horizontal spars from part #75535 tubes and part 2780 connector pegs.  I originally had my horizontal spars just like yours, taking my cues from the classic pirate ships of my childhood, but after seeing the ones they used on the newer Imperial flagship, and seeing how several of the masters on this page did theirs, I switched to the parts that I suggested above.  I've been very satisfied with the change, and I suspect you will be too.  I think your bowsprit looks good even with that antenna forming the tip, but if you're not happy with that there is a relatively unknown part that is a bowsprit extender, that is the same thickness as the top piece of the old style masts that you're using, but doesn't go as far and has studs on the top that you can mount the old style top piece to.  I don't think you need to change it, but it's an option you might prefer.

I really like the bed that you put in the captain's cabin, unless that's supposed to be a couch without a back, in which case I like your backless couch.  I'm also curious where you got the swivel chairs, and if you have a part number for them, as I quite like those (even if they aren't Lego).  You've got a lot of really nice fine details in there (the cabin lanterns and the shield with crossed swords are nice additions as well), though I do still recommend that you tile the deck in tan or maybe grey to give a better color contrast.  Alternately, changing the deck plates to a single third color may do the job.  I think that either one will help your details stand out a little more as well.  What you've done with your aft mast looks great, and the balance of your masts overall seems spot on.

Your length seems to be quite good, perhaps I was wrong about five center sections after all.  The bow chasers look quite good, and I'd like to commend you on managing to do that with full size cannons.  I've never been able to work in anything bigger than some small deck guns mounted in the same area as your mortars.  Lastly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the height of your gun deck.  I believe it was fairly common for people to have to walk and work hunched over slightly while below decks (citation needed) but at the very least, quite a few Lego ships have similar problems, so you'll find you're in good company with that issue.

In all, I'd say you've built quite the fine ship here, with a respectable armament that would give a good fight to most of the ships that get posted on this site.  I dare say my Thunderchild, with her 18-gun main battery, would probably beat you, but only if she manages to stay away from your bow.

Lastly, you are aware of Bricklink, right?  You can get just about anything there, usually for cheaper than buying a whole set just to get one or two parts.  I still recommend Pick-a-Brick when possible, primarily because a lot of sellers will take you to the cleaners on shipping costs, but when you need something Lego doesn't have, Bricklink is a good place to look.

6 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

It's been very interesting watching this ship take form!

Thanks Its been a interesting journey getting where i am with it ... Lots of researching and borrowing of ideas ... 

I would definitely be interested in seeing a photo of the extender might be a future build option.  Or this ... Im still not totally satisfied with the bow.  

I looked up the connectors ... The first part listed pulls up airplane fuselage on brick link ... Perhaps you have a picture ... I think i know what your talking about ... They did the railroad crossing gates with the smooth bores and connectors.  

And yes im very familiar with brinklink. Unfortunately for me it seems every time i get on there i see stuff i would like to use and my cart winds up being 400 dollars lol ... I have several wanted lists now ... I use tlc site ebay(compared to BL) and bricklink to get parts.  I already have 80 bucks in grey parts to smooth out the transition ...

You can actually see the bed started as a lounger in the one picture then i decided it should be a bed.

Eventually it may have tiled decks but for now it will be plates ..  Ive been reading up on the model ship forums on doing rigging ... Not looking forward to all the knots but love the results.  I will be using the custom crows nest rigging (bits of some broken rigging that came in a ebay lot) on another ship ... Perhaps the one with the dragon i was playing around with.

But you've been very helpful in the progression of this build ... I feel that future builds be much quicker ... But then again i only put four hours a week roughly 

There's a string rigging tutorial here:

Here's a picture of the bowsprit and the spar pieces I was talking about.

37756203945_c44e941ede_c.jpg

LDD has the bowsprit listed as part #30047, though I don't think Pick-a-brick has it.  They're usually available on Bricklink, though.  I discovered it when one came in a lot purchase I made on Ebay several years ago, which was primarily for the bluecoat soldiers that were in the lot.  A very fortunate discovery for me!  The pin and tubes are parts #2780 and #75535 respectively.  I included a ball piece that I often use as a "cap" for the spars, which is part #6628, but I also think is only available on Bricklink or similar sites.  A cool feature of the tube is that it will connect to a normal Lego stud, so if you want to make your masts a little taller (which I have done on most of my ships), you can do so with those.

12 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

String tutorial

Yea everything ive read on the model forum says its very tedious work and will take a lot of time just for that part.  Thats why i rigged it with lego for now lol.  I like that extra spar ... I never knew that existed ... That was common to see on ships wonder why it was left out? Selective compression?

I like your idea of adding height might be a great way to add a top sail ... Im already using the base extenders on a pair of single high bricks that's off the lower deck which is three bricks and a plate off the bottom.  

Thanks it means alot hearing good things...  I've tried to implement some of the techniques I've seen on here with my own twist and the bricks I currently have...  It's been almost 10 years since I've built anything like this.  

But alas here are some more changes...  Black skeletons...  Don't know if I like them on the stern but I do on the other parts of the ship there's six total

IMG_20171205_080152

And so it has begun ... Made the dive and started stringing up the masts

IMG_20171205_080133

Picked up some hemp string and it's not as great as Lego string I feel like it looks the part since many a ship had hemp rope

IMG_20171205_080110

Did have to change up the third mast . . . Had it rigged and it just didn't look right so it will be getting a large spanker to remedy the hole

IMG_20171205_080116

And yes it will have rat lines I believe is the correct term however I tied...  Yes tied two and now fully understand why nobody likes them lol

IMG_20171205_080227

I originally tried greenhairs one continuous string tutorial but after ripping the mast down and the side walls off too many times to count I had no other choice but to tie each line separately.  So far I'm liking it accept for the acute carpel tunnel lol

IMG_20171205_080204

I'm still waiting on a slow boat from Deutchland for some updates to come and a few color changes...  But that's another post

So figured I'd give a short update...  Removed all prior rigging and reworked the sides of the hull to add these still early in production stages....  Major shout out to Kurigan  for all the help thus far

Just a teaser for now but anyone that's seen his ships know exactly what they are

IMG_20171213_121648

I will say this I'm making my own rope to get these done. 

One of my parts boxes came in...  Still waiting on my red hulls though... But i got the detail parts swapped out.   I forgot to snap a picture but the doors are now black instead of brown.   I ultimately decided to go with black gun port covers instead of red after reading more about pirate techniques used.  And this would make her appear to be lightly armed from a distance.  As opposed to the other practice employed by merchant's of painting on fake gun ports.  You might notice I've started adding the dead eyes on the mizzen. 

IMG_20171219_023708

So I have changed the masts a little (using the short boom as previously discussed) 

IMG_20171219_030355

Apparently it was common practice to fly no colors or another ships colors to lure you close before hoisting the Rodger

IMG_20171219_030415

The rear of the ship has changed slightly...  Im still needing to change the window frames 

IMG_20171219_024216

I'm also playing around with lanterns off the masts as I've seen in some pictures so this is first draft.   You can notice the bell in this picture as well.  

IMG_20171219_030453

So hopefully the next update will have the red hull and rigging done...  It is very time consuming lacing the dead eyes.  

I've also started another ship to take a break from rigging and waiting on parts.   However shes not worthy of pictures yet...  I started to use the same greenhair method as i did on this ship then decided I would try the sebus one piece side method...  But thats for its own thread ... Not sure if I'll do a Wip on her though. 

Well well, a red hull! :pir-sweet:

My first thought was that it was a bit too much, all the red but I must say that it grows on me, it gives the ship something mystical. keep it up!

7 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Well well, a red hull! :pir-sweet:

My first thought was that it was a bit too much, all the red but I must say that it grows on me, it gives the ship something mystical. keep it up!

My original idea was a captain that was on a blood hunt so I thought why not make it look something straight from hell...  I mean if an all black ship works why not a bloody one.

As i built i took ideas from different parts of builds i seen on here... Im sure you can recognize some of yours lol.   After all imitation is the greatest form of flattery.