So I am new so if this is the wrong place can a admin move it ... Thank you.

I figured i would post a wip thread for my first MOC ship ... I built and tore apart quite a bit trying to get to where i am at this point.  I don't really have a plan im going off of but more a general goal ... Im by no means a historian on ships but i know the general shape im looking for.

38080437251_3dbd1fa340_z.jpg

There are very few ships that have rams so i wanted one on mine 

38048619852_7d6ea6884f_z.jpg%22 

The helm is working via technic parts ... Wish i took pictures of that.  But you crank the wheel and the rudder moves via chains.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4488/37371315634_6178c0ea7e_z.jpg

This took a bit of work but it was something i loved on my 90s era lego ships.  

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4467/38080451021_b8c227fbfd_z.jpg

The capitans quarters is quite large for such a small ship but I wanted something a pirate could live in ... All the movies show a large state room lol.  The ship does have a hold that can be accessed through the gun deck ... Which will be open in the center.

24228404848_060038125f_z.jpg

I intend to use a combination of built small guns on top of the ship and the standard lego cannons on the gun deck.  Im still waiting on four more cannons (the dark pearl shooting) as the rest of my cannons are the old grey imperial non shooting.

37370560814_3ed9569d80_z.jpg

I loved a depiction i saw with a spiral staircase to access the bridge? So I borrowed a method i had seen before as I don't think the potter stairs look navel enough.

The helm I intend to redo ... As i started the design not realizing the space and the whole build has revolved around the working helm I made it more structural because early in the process it was just sitting up top with nothing but a hull.

Im redoing the tops of the gun deck so i can incorporate a gang way and forecastle deck (although only large enough for the mortars)  speaking of im not sure I will be keeping them fully mobile as they are now ... May opt for a stationary setup that appears to be mobile.  Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
I hate not using photobucket having to learn how to post all over.

Made some changes and some progress last night.

26318366449_c30a96dd6f_z.jpg

Still toying with the idea of a closed gun deck or open ... I have four medium cannons and three small left i can put on original plan was four med in middle and two mall up front and i had a spare ... Im sure if i dig deeper i can find the remaining parts to make a fourth little cannon

I think though if i enclose it I will make two shorter curved stairs in the same style to the deck.  I feel like the shore boat is too big but then i think its just right ...

Moved the ladder to the center ... I had an idea but wasn't going to work out

Not sure the bridge? Will stay this way but it is for now

24242504138_7ec3232996_z.jpg

Worked on the rear of the ship added chase cannons

Ditched the swivels for now.

26318368009_3f2d1fde09_z.jpg

Was playing with mast ideas not sure if i want to stick old school or go new school

26318367419_385e594cf3_z.jpg

Have yet to furnish it but the cabin is visible via both sides

24242503508_33c8bb4737_z.jpg

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Added verbage

She seems a wee bit tall in the hull.  Perhaps that's what you're after, but if you're looking for accuracy, and assuming this is intended to only be above the waterline, she'll be a bit top heavy, and a large target.  Lowering the hull may make her look a lot faster as well as make her harder to hit.  Alternately (or additionally), you could try lengthening it, which would make it sleeker, as well as give you more room for guns.  If I'm judging this correctly, you've got two center sections, right?  If you want to keep the hull that tall, you might want to double that.

I don't know that rams were common during this time period, as you'd probably de-mast yourself if you rammed anybody with enough speed to cause damage.  That being said, I think that it's a clever idea, that makes your ship stand out, and makes her look more dangerous!  Your captain may de-mast himself, but he would in all likelihood deliver a fatal blow to his opponent!

I like how simple your captain's cabin access is, and I'm looking forward to seeing the interior you come up with for that.  Your stern details are great, and the stained glass is a nice touch.  I also like the stern chasers, and I think your idea for bow mortars is a good one.  Also, could I trouble you for some more pictures of your staircase?  I think that's a really nice addition.

24418622378_233897da97_z.jpg

So i added some center sections ... I like the length but i almost feel its too long ... Might take out a section this is five now was two like a standard lego boat.  Have to substitute my black pieces out for red ... Didn't grab all the parts bins when I redid this

38289388001_f646fc13e7_z.jpg

This is why i feel its too long ... Its dwarfing the pearl set which i thought was big compared to my 90s sets 

38235193166_6fc8a496ee_z.jpg

I snapped a picture of the drive mechanism for the rudder ... There is a lot of gear reduction to get the right movement of the wheel and rudder 

37578527774_fe622608d5_z.jpg

I'm thinking this will work out for the floor of the gun deck

Here are more detailed pictures of the stairs ... I will be splitting this in two and have two shorter cases that will lead to the gangways and Capitan quarters ... Which i believe i will relocate to two doors instead of one

37579203704_424732dd39_z.jpg38235130166_38e3233acb_z.jpg37579187884_2555c1684d_z.jpg

I like your use of levers as the stair railings.  That's very clever, and looks pretty cool.

I'd say your proportions are pretty good with five center hull sections, but I get what you're saying.  My flagship started with three, I think, and now has five.  Each time I lengthened it, I worried that I was making it too long, but once I was done I found it was better than before.  I don't think I'll go larger than five, though.  I think all of the masters, like Captain Greenhair, have stopped at five.  If you're set on shortening it, I wouldn't go shorter than four, if I were you.

The rudder mechanism is very impressive, by the way.  I've never attempted one, but I've always been envious of those who have pulled it off.  Part of why I haven't tried it, I think, is that I'd want to leave the mechanism exposed so I can show it off to people.  It's good that you're taking pictures of it now, before it gets closed in.

I see some nice details in your build, especially the stairs, the hidden mechanism, the innovative bow and the really nice stern! An advise would be to try to incorporate the gray section of those prefab pieces you are using and try to break the monotony of red-black if you can (and have the bricks of course). All in all a very nice try. Keep it up and we are eagerly awaiting for your next steps in building it!

8 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

I see some nice details in your build, especially the stairs, the hidden mechanism, the innovative bow and the really nice stern! An advise would be to try to incorporate the gray section of those prefab pieces you are using and try to break the monotony of red-black if you can (and have the bricks of course). All in all a very nice try. Keep it up and we are eagerly awaiting for your next steps in building it!

As far as the grey goes i have limited selection of the blueish grey all my grey is old grey ... I found some all red hulls on bricklink just haven't placed the order ... I was trying to keep with red and black because i have the most of those colors ... Ive thought about adding touches of yellow but im not sure how to weave it in at this point ... 

23 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I like your use of levers as the stair railings.  That's very clever, and looks pretty cool.

I'd say your proportions are pretty good with five center hull sections, but I get what you're saying.  My flagship started with three, I think, and now has five.  Each time I lengthened it, I worried that I was making it too long, but once I was done I found it was better than before.  I don't think I'll go larger than five, though.  I think all of the masters, like Captain Greenhair, have stopped at five.  If you're set on shortening it, I wouldn't go shorter than four, if I were you.

The rudder mechanism is very impressive, by the way.  I've never attempted one, but I've always been envious of those who have pulled it off.  Part of why I haven't tried it, I think, is that I'd want to leave the mechanism exposed so I can show it off to people.  It's good that you're taking pictures of it now, before it gets closed in.

Well I might have to take a few more pictures because there's two gear sections one up top of the captain's cabin and the other below ... This is revision 13 i believe lol that was a long night figuring out what i had already built three times didn't travel far enough when i got the helm mounted then discovered my setup would get locked up is you turned the rudder by hand. 

I was thinking four mid sections ... I know he used 5 in the tutorial thread... It just seems so long ... But then again i was wanting to redo the pearl ... Im actually really disappointed in the set but i had to have it because i love the ship in movie form and the real life pearl.

My original kits I kit bashed lol

38294092372_0518cd77bb_z.jpg24455184448_72a0a01234_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I was thinking four mid sections ... I know he used 5 in the tutorial thread... It just seems so long ... But then again i was wanting to redo the pearl ... Im actually really disappointed in the set but i had to have it because i love the ship in movie form and the real life pearl.

From what I understand, a lot of people were disappointed by the Pearl set.  I don't have one, so I can't say much, but the rudder looked ridiculous.

On my ships, I generally have three colors in the hull, plus a two color checker pattern to liven things up a bit (minus the brown hull, of course).  With one exception, though, mine are all black with a thick white stripe, and a thin blue stripe at the top of the white.  The checker pattern is a ways above the thin blue stripe.  My only exception uses yellow instead of white, but doesn't have the blue stripe.

Going with a red hull is a difficult call.  I've experimented with breaking from my normal brown hull with black and white pattern, but I've never been satisfied with the result, so none of my experiments in that have ever seen the light of day.  I believe it was Achille that at one point was black with a thick red stripe that looked really good, but using red as the primary color is very different.  You're off to a pretty good start here, though, and I think you should stick with it.  You might want to think about making the decks tan instead of black or red, to brighten things up and add a third color without having to mess with the hull itself.  Another idea may be to "tile" the decks, to make it look like they're planks.  It removes a lot of the playability, as any minifigs you put on it will have to balance on their own, but it looks terrific.  I've wound up going back and tiling all of mine after experimenting on one ship and seeing how good it looked.

4 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

From what I understand, a lot of people were disappointed by the Pearl set.  I don't have one, so I can't say much, but the rudder looked ridiculous.

On my ships, I generally have three colors in the hull, plus a two color checker pattern to liven things up a bit (minus the brown hull, of course).  With one exception, though, mine are all black with a thick white stripe, and a thin blue stripe at the top of the white.  The checker pattern is a ways above the thin blue stripe.  My only exception uses yellow instead of white, but doesn't have the blue stripe.

Going with a red hull is a difficult call.  I've experimented with breaking from my normal brown hull with black and white pattern, but I've never been satisfied with the result, so none of my experiments in that have ever seen the light of day.  I believe it was Achille that at one point was black with a thick red stripe that looked really good, but using red as the primary color is very different.  You're off to a pretty good start here, though, and I think you should stick with it.  You might want to think about making the decks tan instead of black or red, to brighten things up and add a third color without having to mess with the hull itself.  Another idea may be to "tile" the decks, to make it look like they're planks.  It removes a lot of the playability, as any minifigs you put on it will have to balance on their own, but it looks terrific.  I've wound up going back and tiling all of mine after experimenting on one ship and seeing how good it looked.

I like the look of the tiled decks as well however that would be a large link order as i don't have nearly enough even for a small area.  I actually shortened it by one midsection today ... Didn't take any pictures though.  It drops two guns off the side but looks a lot better and proportionate.  The 5 looked great as far as the curve so i will keep that for a future endeavor.  

The half formulated back story was two brothers worked for a greedy profiteer i mean privateer.  One night the capitan sailed the ship towards pirate infested waters the capitan tried to double cross the pirate capitan and steal back the cargo he had just sold.  When caught the capitan betrayed the loyal brothers claiming they had arranged the robbery.  The capitan escaped leaving the brothers stranded.  Then and there the brothers vowed to search the seas to bring the greedy capitan down ... After sailing with a band of pirates and amassing a small fortune the captured a badly damaged ship the brothers made a deal with their current capitan to keep the ship instead of scuttling it.  The brothers remasted it and reworked it to be a deadly hunter capable of bringing their old foe down.  It was a beautiful ship.  But when one of the brothers was killed by a mutiny started by a spy the remaining brother killed all of the crew accept the loyal ones making them take a blood oath to loyalty from that day on the ship was repainted and redecorated.  It is a legend murmured in the taverns as they never show mercy and only attack the ships of their former capitans vast fleet despite flying the skull and cross.

So more rework ... Or is it progress? Seems like i tear apart what i just did to get where i am lol

24492817018_486f93281c_z.jpg

The staircase was redesigned ... Im really happy with them both sides come down then there's a short flight that leads back into the capitan cabin.  The door system was redesigned here as well.

24492839978_5c5510985a_z.jpg

There can't be a center door due to the rudder linkage

26588539609_a31aa77a56_z.jpg

Its hard to see but the short stairs are actually three tail fins separated by a plate to give the same spacing.  The angle is perfect to let the doors open i also used one at the top to give me the right angle at the base

38333014522_35aee2e974_z.jpg

37649895634_7a82c725ac_z.jpg

I added length and redesigned the bow set the mast in deeper and reinforced it im pretty happy with it even though it wasn't that common i find it menacing

37649722864_94aa30a6e1_z.jpg

Im not sure that this will stay on the boom but i like it for now - you can see the forward cannons as well

24493021578_12894dc9c0_z.jpg

The grey bothers me but i want to order the all red hulls if it turns out they are advertised incorrect and they are the same i will have to order some bricks to tie in the hull stripe ... You can see i redid the windows also

24493141998_1d0fb35ece_z.jpg

Im not happy with the gangways so i will be redoing them

37649830294_d0ba997e54_z.jpg

But im liking the mortars on the forcastle

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Editor being screwy

The mortars are one of the best features, I think.

Like I said before on the ram, it's not period accurate, but it looks cool!  What you've done with the stairs is terrific, and I've done a similar thing with the doors on several ships that I've done, only with a mast separating the doors instead of steering linkage.  I think it looks great- it actually makes it look foreboding, like Satan is gonna come out of there or something.

8 minutes ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

The mortars are one of the best features, I think.

.... I think it looks great- it actually makes it look foreboding, like Satan is gonna come out of there or something.

That's sorta the idea I was building around sort of like the pearl a ship that inspires fear when seen on the horizon

Im really liking the mortars as well its something i didn't see on too many builds... And the spiral stairs had to stay they just look awesome i think was just a matter of figuring out how to incorporate them.  I still have the four loose med cannons that i wanted to put on the top deck.  Got a lil distracted today and added a section to the pearl looks good next to each other accept for the mast spacing either need to move the main back or add a third.

If you hadn't put in the working rudder, I would've said to move your helm and put a third mast there.  Since it's not really an option, though...

I would suggest moving your center mast back a bit, and maybe adding a section to your aft mast.  You probably don't want to fully rig that one, though, maybe lateen rig it or something- and it may already be the right length for that.  It might be too far aft to look ok, but I would try that before doing anything more drastic.  I think your foremast is right about where it should be, so I'd leave that there if possible.