Legostone

AUCTION! Bloody Bill and Gregory Decker sellin' their Booty!

With the Seas swarmed by pirates this month, we have now received a message that they are offering to sell off their captured vessels. We have also heard they are offering to sell the vessels back to the original owners (at 125% license value) - but only for the first 3 days of the auction.

The following vessels have been captured and are, starting now, up for auction:

Shipname Class Current Owner Previous owner Value

Flying Colt 3 Bloody Bill @SilentWolf 200
Hades' Trumpet 5 Gregory Decker Sea Rats 420
HRS Ardent 7 Bloody Bill Oleon 700
HRS Tonnant 8 Bloody Bill Oleon 900
Nerdy Mermaid 3 Bloody Bill @pombe 200
Supreme 3 Gregory Decker ETTC 200
The Aspiration 6 Bloody Bill @Phred 560
Wolf II 4 Gregory Decker Sea Rats 300

Name Class Range Maneuver Firepower Crew Cargo Hull
Flying Colt 3 3 2 2 1 4 3
Hades' Trumpet 5 4 4 4 4 1 4
HRS Ardent 7 6 3 8 4 0 6
HRS Tonnant 8 6 3 9 5 0 7
Nerdy Mermaid 3 4 4 0 2 3 2
Supreme 3 3 3 2 1 5 1
The Aspiration 6 4 4 2 2 9 3
Wolf II 4 4 2 4 4 1 3

Well, cool, there is an auction, but what do I do now? View the current bids here, and place your bid using this form (I'm sorry, but this is the easiest solution to not spam the forum too much...)

Auction ends at the 7th day of November 617, at 10 pm GMT

If you placed bids, I would appreciate you mention it here, but you don't have to. If you want to buy back your vessel just post here. If you want to put another vessel up for sale, just tell me and I'll set it up.

A few questions:

1) Why are the originating builder's being charged an extra 25% to buy their own MOC back?  It seems punitive for no valid reason.  They are already re-paying the not-insignificant cost of the license, and this seems just insult to injury.

2) Are Sea Rats paying their native rate when buying back their ships, or the regular rate?

3) Why are players already bidding on other player's builds prior to their 3 days grace period being up?  It seems quite rude to me.

Just now, Kwatchi said:

1) Why are the originating builder's being charged an extra 25% to buy their own MOC back?  It seems punitive for no valid reason.  They are already re-paying the not-insignificant cost of the license, and this seems just insult to injury.

I would assume that originating builders are free to bid as well, only, they run the risk of being outbid.  The 125% is like a "Buy it Now" option just for them.

Just now, Kwatchi said:

3) Why are players already bidding on other player's builds prior to their 3 days grace period being up?  It seems quite rude to me.

Why not?  If the other players want to buy it back for 125%, they can go right over the bidders' heads.

Oh, and also, if you buy the ship back for 125%, you're buying back the license.  So you wouldn't have to pay 125% + license.  That would be a little much!

Just now, Kwatchi said:

Well, the MOCs are auctioned off with the license attached. The license doesn't need to be paid again. Alternatively they could always sistership...

Just now, Kwatchi said:

2) Are Sea Rats paying their native rate when buying back their ships, or the regular rate?

We had a discussion about this in court, and decided that, given that once a ship is licensed, it is to be treated like any other vessel. Full price for everyone who wants to buy back their ships at starting price.

Just now, Kwatchi said:

Well, its a gamble on the original owners not buying their ship out. The main goal is getting the ships back into the game :pir-laugh:

2 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

A few questions:

1) I agree. (Edit: KaiNRGs answer made sense though)

3) Sorry, did not read the text thoroughly. My bid can be disregarded until the 3 days have passed.

Edited by Sir Stig

52 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

A few questions:

Since everybody else is answering, I will get into the mix too ;) I will try to explain the reasoning. :)

1. They are not - and can always sistership (up to a limit of 20 shiplimits of sisterships in the active fleet). They are offered a buy-it-now option within the first 3 days. And these ships can be used as is when won. No additional licensing required. They are a functioning ship. That the seller (in this case an NPC) is offering a buy-back option for the original owner is a service.
  2. Imagine it was a player who had captured these ships. Would he sell it cheaper to a sea rat than to anyone else?
  3. There is no grace period. But within the first 3 days (until when, exactly, @Legostone?) all bids may be rendered irrelevant by an original owner exercising his buy-it-now option.

Also, will place more bids shortly.

1 hour ago, Sir Stig said:

Is it possible to know the stats for the ships?

The stats should definitely be presented. Also, is Hades' Trumpet unmoc'ed?

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

There is no grace period. But within the first 3 days (until when, exactly, @Legostone?) all bids may be rendered irrelevant by an original owner exercising his buy-it-now option.

3rd November, 16:02 GMT

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

The stats should definitely be presented. Also, is Hades' Trumpet unmoc'ed?

Hades' Trumpet is indeed unmocced.

Name Class Range Maneuver Firepower Crew Cargo Hull
Flying Colt 3 3 2 2 1 4 3
Hades' Trumpet 5 4 4 4 4 1 4
HRS Ardent 7 6 3 8 4 0 6
HRS Tonnant 8 6 3 9 5 0 7
Nerdy Mermaid 3 4 4 0 2 3 2
Supreme 3 3 3 2 1 5 1
The Aspiration 6 4 4 2 2 9 3
Wolf II 4 4 2 4 4 1 3

Also placed a couple of bids...

Fair answer on point 2, and 3 is up to an individual's temperament I suppose.  I think a 3 day non-bidding grace period would have been a friendly thing to do.   Point 1 is still a worrisome point for me as it will allow richer players to "bully" the game. 

For example: A small funded player who paid X to license last month, now has to pay X+25% this month to get their ship back or they'll lose a biding war to some of the well healed players who have more Dbs than cash sinks for them.  It is a bad precedent in my eyes.

Keep in mind I have no horse in this race.  Ok, I am secretly cheering for Capt Wolf to get the Wolf II back, but that's keep that to yourself. :pir-blush:

Just now, Kwatchi said:

I suppose.  I think a 3 day non-bidding grace period would have been a friendly thing to do.

I actually think its better this way - you can now guess if you could get your ship below the buyback value or not, looking at the current bids. I wouldn‘t be surprised if some vessels exceed ~1.5 times the license value this auction. 

2 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Point 1 is still a worrisome point for me as it will allow richer players to "bully" the game. 

Well, again - these guys are pirates, and they want the maximum income they can get. And well, if you had owned one of these vessels you now have a choice, unlike some who have lost their vessels to the sea floor - and neither way is stopping you from sistershipping. 

5 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

For example: A small funded player who paid X to license last month, now has to pay X+25% this month to get their ship back or they'll lose a biding war to some of the well healed players who have more Dbs than cash sinks for them.  It is a bad precedent in my eyes.

Well, some vessels might still remain affordable to most people. And well, besides the last 2 auctions in the earlier MRCA, ships were never really cheap... And again, we are talking about pirates who want to make money, the buyback is just a convenience thing we are offering.

Did the SR offer me to buy the vessels they captured off me at license value?

9 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Keep in mind I have no horse in this race.  Ok, I am secretly cheering for Capt Wolf to get the Wolf II back, but that's keep that to yourself. :pir-blush:

Haha, I‘m hopeful for that one too :D 

4 minutes ago, Legostone said:
25 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Haha, I‘m hopeful for that one too :D

Glad to know I have a cheering section! :pir-grin:

39 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

I think a 3 day non-bidding grace period would have been a friendly thing to do.

I see no reason for a grace period. Even if the bids surpass the 125 % price, the 125 % buyback option is still valid for the three days. :pir-blush:

40 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

The less rich player can still sistership the vessel at normal licensing price (including sea rat discounts). (Remember, anyone can have up to 20 shiplevels of sisterships at any given time)

Of course, there is a cost to lose your ships (the license cost), but that is how the MRCA works, and the risk is what makes it fun.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:02 AM, Legostone said:

If you want to buy back your vessel just post here.

Posting here to buy back my vessel. :thumbup:

Dear Mr. Bill,

I have been informed that you have captured one of our trading vessels, the Flying Colt, recently and are demanding a ransom for it. We have no need of recovering the ship itself, but our crew is of value to us as several potential widows and orphans have come by our office hoping to find out about their missing loved ones. We will meet your demands of 250 dbs if the ship is returned with all the crew who is still alive. Please correspond whether you will meet these terms and if so where you wish the money to be paid.

Sincerely,
Mr. Arthur Kellogg of the Wolf's Equine, Trade, and Expedition Company

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Gregory Decker,

News has reached me here in Arlinsport that you have placed for sale a trade vessel that recently sailed under the East Terran Trade Company, christened the Supreme. We are quite perturbed that not only have you seized one of our ships, but you have the audacity to put it up for auction without request for ransom. I know that there is supposedly a code of honor even among those of you who have taken to the seas as pirates and thieves. I demand that you hold to the code you have aligned with by calling yourself a pirate, and offer the ship to the Company. We are willing to negotiate a reasonable price for its return, or you may be sure that we will malign your name among all your brethren who sail the black colors. In this way, we won't even have to hunt you down as they will do it themselves. Please respond immediately to this message as I will be waiting here in Arlinsport for your price or negotiator.  

Thank you,
Mr. Bartholomew Antonius, manager of East Terran Trade Company headquarters

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This represents the requests of both SilentWolf and the ETTC to recover their respective ships at the 125% designated which comes to 250dbs each. 

Edited by SilentWolf

8 hours ago, Phred said:

Posting here to buy back my vessel. :thumbup:

You may transfer 700 DBs to Bloody Bill to purchase the vessel back.

@SilentWolf

Arr!

Your letter has been received, and we'll be releasin' your vessel together with the little that's left of your crew once you've sent us the box of gold. GOLD! 
(Bloody handprint)

(transfer 250 DB to Bloody Bill)

Comin' here to negotiate, huh? Send me 250 shiny golden doubloons and your vessel will be yours again, I'm not changing my mind on that one!
(transfer 250 DB to Gregory Decker)

Edit: Note: I've filled a bid in the names of ETTC and you just to have a submission in the auction doc. Don't worry about it - the current values won't change again. Also placed another bid on "Hades' Trumpet"

Edited by Legostone

On 11/1/2017 at 2:10 PM, Legostone said:

I actually think its better this way - you can now guess if you could get your ship below the buyback value or not, looking at the current bids. I wouldn‘t be surprised if some vessels exceed ~1.5 times the license value this auction. 

Well, again - these guys are pirates, and they want the maximum income they can get. And well, if you had owned one of these vessels you now have a choice, unlike some who have lost their vessels to the sea floor - and neither way is stopping you from sistershipping. 

Well, some vessels might still remain affordable to most people. And well, besides the last 2 auctions in the earlier MRCA, ships were never really cheap... And again, we are talking about pirates who want to make money, the buyback is just a convenience thing we are offering.

Did the SR offer me to buy the vessels they captured off me at license value?

I think you just proved my point for me.  You have created an artificial ship market for "rich" players by making it more advantageous for a player to sister-ship rather than buy their own MOC back. Curious how these "greedy pirates" don't start bidding at 125% for everyone else so to get that maximum income...

Unfortunately your last sentence just hearkens back to initial remark about punitive measures; your past personal experience should not affect the impartiality of game mechanics and now I have actual doubt about the motives behind all of this. 

However that's my personal issue to deal with, and as long as this system remains consistent in the future this will be my last word on the matter.

14 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

I think you just proved my point for me.  You have created an artificial ship market for "rich" players by making it more advantageous for a player to sister-ship rather than buy their own MOC back. Curious how these "greedy pirates" don't start bidding at 125% for everyone else so to get that maximum income...

Sadly there is, at least currently, no way to prevent the "rich" from bidding on these ships. Maybe we can do something different next time... Currently Bloody Bill and other NPC pirates are on nobodies side, but maybe someone from the SR could try finding him to negotiate better terms for the next auctions, given that you are also pirates? I'm not going to guarantee anything here, but maybe something like that could work...

18 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Unfortunately your last sentence just hearkens back to initial remark about punitive measures; your past personal experience should not affect the impartiality of game mechanics and now I have actual doubt about the motives behind all of this. 

The final sentence had nothing to do with leaving out the SR discount - my original plan had it planned in, but I got convinced to leave it out. It was nothing but a (not really fitting I guess) hint that the SR don't show mercy either... 

23 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

However that's my personal issue to deal with, and as long as this system remains consistent in the future this will be my last word on the matter.

We are still working stuff out, so stuff may change. But as these auctions go, this is mostly how it'll be.

55 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

I feel like there may still be a misunderstanding here (maybe I'm wrong and just sticking my oar in where it doesn't belong, if so, sorry!).  Suppose a ship is captured and auctioned.  Anyone (including the owner) can bid on it for any price above the asking price.  But the owner has an extra deal, with three days to buy it back, no hassle, no licensing fees, no sistership MOC, no competing with bidders, for a flat 125%, and everything will be as if he'd never lost it.  Even if rich bidders bid more than 125%, the original player has three days to go right over their heads.  Adding the opportunity for the original builder to buy back at a flat rate hasn't changed the going price, and is just giving the original builders an extra "safe" chance to get their own ships back.  They don't have to fork out the 125%.  They could sistership (which is equivalent I believe to a build + 100% [Edit: Okay, this is a little different for Sea Rats, so maybe from a SR POV it makes more sense to sistership... unfortunately, I really don't see how that can be handled in an open auction like this]), or they could bid (would be dumb to bid over 125%, but anything under, there might still be a good chance of winning it).  They could probably even bid and then wait until the 3rd day, and if prices are climbing, hand over the 125%.  If an original owner chooses to go for a bidding war, they're every bit as liable to lose without this rule; with this rule, they have three days to cut out all other bidders and get their hands on their own ship.

125% is not really a "maximum income" for the pirates.  It's not at all unlikely that in a bidding war a MOCed ship would sell for well over 125%, judging from past auctions.  The original owner may very likely be able to buy it back more cheaply than the rich bidders.

Yeah, sure, it's going to be rough on a small player's pocket, but losing your ship in the MRCA isn't meant to be just water off a duck's back!  It would be just as rough without the 125% "Buy it Back Now" rule, if not rougher, since the owner would be subject whether he liked it or not to all the ups and downs of a bidding war.

Edited by Kai NRG

Thanks, Kai. That was the exact reasoning for the buyback option.

Also, remember that any entity can "only" have 20 shiplevels of sisterships active at any given time. The rest must be "original" moc, which makes it even more sensible to buyback a lost ship.

Whaaaat, only 800, respectively 1000DB for two ships of the line? Pathetic! Guess, I'll have to claim them back for Oleon then :grin:

Which I hereby do. Oleon will buy back both the HRS Tonnant and the HRS Ardent for 125% of their license value.

A small MOC will hopefully follow soon... as soon as I get that new renderer set up to my liking.

9 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Whaaaat, only 800, respectively 1000DB for two ships of the line? Pathetic! Guess, I'll have to claim them back for Oleon then :grin:

Which I hereby do. Oleon will buy back both the HRS Tonnant and the HRS Ardent for 125% of their license value.

A small MOC will hopefully follow soon... as soon as I get that new renderer set up to my liking.

(well, I would have gone a bit further on both of them actually. Just wanted to wait another day or two :P)

Arr! 
Two giant chests of golden Doubloonies? Can't say no to that. Send' em over, and you may get your vessels back!

(Bloody handprint)
(transfer 1125 + 875 (you may do the math yourself or believe me that it's 2000 DBs total) DBs to Bloody Bill)

Arr! Tha auction has come to an end! The following vessels were bought back:
Flying Colt - 250 DB, already paid. Silentwolf
HRS Ardent - 875 DB, already paid, Oleon
HRS Tonnant - 1125 DB, already paid, Oleon
Supreme - 250 DB, already paid, ETTC
The Aspiration - 700 DB, not paid yet, @Phred - please transfer 700 DB to Bloody Bill

The following vessels have been won in auction:
Nerdy Mermaid - 180 DB, not paid yet, @Umbra-Manis - please transfer 180 DB to Bloody Bill
Hades' Trumpet - 301 DB, not paid yet, @Legostone - please transfer 301 DB to Gregory Decker
Wolf II - 400 DB, not paid yet, @Capt Wolf - please transfer 400 DB to Gregory Decker

Wrong day, sorry.