ODA 401

[GBW-CP4]-Plighia-Baptism by Fire

The first attack hit us pretty hard! We were tasked with setting up a forward position ahead of the front lines along with some other platoons from our company to stop or slow down enemy advancement. Intelligence told us that the enemy will make contact with us in three days time, and they were only off by a day and a half. We had set up two road-blocks along the road with the rubble that was laying around, but that work went to waste by an enemy rocket punching a hole through the first wall. 

None of us were fresh out of boot-camp, but few of us had ever seen combat, save for the sergeant, but even then it was only small border engagements with cartels. The explosion that punched through the first barrier jarred us at first, but when the .30 cal. went off we were brought back to reality. The first casualty was one of the guys from the MG team that hooked up with us, I saw him go down and it looked like he bought it.

37317540154_c5c15925ce_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

I was in the back of a building with Sgt. Anders, providing cover for our squad's support gunner when a two-man Refnor recon team rode up to us, ducking for cover when they felt bullets bounce off of nearby walls:

Refnor scout: "Who's in charge here?"

Sgt. Anders: "I am, Corporal"

Refnor scout: "We located an armored column making its way here, it seems this road is on their route."

"Can you estimate their ETA?"

"Ten minutes max"    

Refnor scout: "Must be an advanced team...they're a small force, but they have enough firepower to clear this whole area."

"Ok, get you and your buddy back to your lines, we got a fight on our hands"

"Yes sir"

37972987646_73b0e770ec_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

"Thorson, patch me trough to TOC!"

"On it sir"

"TOC, this is Forerunner..."

"TOC to Forerunner, we read you loud and clear."

"TOC, We got an armored column heading our way..break..Do we have access to any CAS in the area..over?"

"Forerunner, We have one times fast mover in the vicinity..break..call sign TIZONA..break..use air force frequency..over."

10-4..Forerunner copies..over and out. Forerunner to TIZONA, come in TIZONA."

"Forerunner, this is TIZONA, whats your status, over?"

"We are in the green..break..we have an armored column moving into our position minus ten mikes..break..requesting air support..break..our location grid F4 480 by 384, over."

"Copy last..break..on route and ETA in 6 mikes, over."

"Forerunner copies all..break..will wait for you arrival, over"

"10-4, over and out."

24174591598_38eed05d81_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

The support gunner in our squad opened up on some enemies that were advancing through the alleyway. He wasted a few before they decided it was best to take cover. I was half expecting the claymore we had set up in that area to go off shortly, but they hadn't rushed through the length of the alley yet.

37317661124_67d2694633_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr 

37973092476_c67f30956d_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

It was going to be a hard fight, but we had to hold the line. And we hoped they wouldn't get too smart, we had only been able to construct light defenses, and we couldn't afford to take multiple hits from heavy weaponry.

37973130386_fca394612a_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

26250744199_810bfc2b40_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

37973117856_a6d07bddc1_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

37996897452_de8e91497c_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

37973244866_374e96057f_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

37973921986_388fec9f14_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

Extra Pics:

37996903432_c8e0e0ac94_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

26251777339_69364222c5_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

26250620709_aa5a892451_z.jpgThe Great Brick War-Battle for Carrefour by ODA 401, on Flickr

Good luck to everyone! I am exited to see the end results.

Edited by ODA 401

A hard battle you're describing !

strangely, I feel more this build like a WW2 fight than a modern action. Perhaps it is its ambush style, or the grey ruins dominating the mood of this build... I don't know...

well, except this feeling, the ruined buildings are greatly done and the battle is well served by good minifig posing.

A good entry ! Good job !

Thanks. It is true that there is a WWII feeling with this build, I was inspired by the last battle in Saving Private Ryan, but I tried to make it more modern. The reason it looks more like a WWII moc is that there aren't too many modern-era defenses in the build, but you can see why in the narrative.

Also, the color scheme of the buildings is due to that specific area being previously bombed and the paint burned off the masonry. That's why they look grey.

Edited by ODA 401

You’ve been awarded (7) points.

Judges’ comments…

Very Nice. Of all of the builds, this one captures the essence of CQB more so than any other. I very much like the rugged ruined landscape you've presented here. Though sometimes it looks a little bit thrown together, that is kind of the point I guess. Some suggestions for the future would be to maybe clean it up a little bit and get rid of some of the clutter. Additionally, perhaps widen some areas of your build so that you can get some better angles in there with your camera. Very nice work!     

Minimum size requirements met, CQB combat met, and collaboration with your CoAC teammates, good job!  I enjoyed the "urban warzone feel, the shot over your one soldier in the alleyway firing the machine gun at the enemy down the corridor was great!  The destroyed feel of the build though really gave you a sense that there was some serious combat in this area, and that it may not be letting up anytime soon.  Your story was easy to follow and detailed.  The technic bricks are great at detailing weapon fire.  I would say on your pics, keep with the closeups, try not to go to far out or you can draw the background into the pic.  And if the background doesn't really flow well with the build (brick/plate vs. real grass), it may take away from the shot.  For your first build in The Great Brick War, this is outstanding and cannot wait to see what follows this!    

Solid scene. Maybe the amount of effects is a little bit confusing. Try to use a bedsheet or similar as background    

Really well done. Your photography really captures the hectic, destructive nature of urban warfare. Nice job with the story and with using some basic bricks to create destruction. A solid background would really help with the presentation, but it didn’t kill your score. The destroyed road is good, too, but I would suggest adding some sort of solid edge to the build. Once again, it’s more of a presentation issue, but it can really help prevent the nasty underside from distracting from the rest of the build.  

Be Sure to Update Your AARs. 

Thanks for playing!