Sign in to follow this  
Marxpek

Mini RC tracked racer + new micro pullback tracked racer

Here is my attempt to miniaturize the 42065 set.

800x600.jpg

I wanted to make it as small as i could and take the main features of the 42065, a set i do not own myself, but i might pick one up to compare.

Since the rubber caterpillar tracks suited this scale perfectly they where on my "must haves" list, a simple bogie gives it the correct stance and track tension.

In the next image you can see the chassis and bodywork opened up, it is powered by a small AAA battery box, receiver and 2 L-motors, it is fun to drive and stops for nothing!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x506.jpg

Now i was hoping on some feedback on the paneling, i have not made a lot of bodywork with panels before and was hoping to get some suggestions and/or tips and tricks!

Of course any other suggestion or comment is welcomed as well!

Edited by Marxpek

As I prefer the RC sets on the smaller side and I played a lot with my 42065 variations I have to say this little fellow is absolutely cool! Did you also try this config with the M motors? I wonder if the lighter motors could increase the speed even further. I hope you'll make a video of it soon :)

That looks great! It does look a bit fat in comparison to 42065, but I think that just makes it look cute! :sweet:

6 hours ago, kbalage said:

I hope you'll make a video of it soon :)

Me too... :laugh:

Looks great, and seems like it would have great performance. I also will add my name to the list of those who wish for a video. :wink:

Man, I wish I had the L motors, would be neat to try something fast on a small scale like that :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

18 hours ago, kbalage said:

As I prefer the RC sets on the smaller side and I played a lot with my 42065 variations I have to say this little fellow is absolutely cool! Did you also try this config with the M motors? I wonder if the lighter motors could increase the speed even further. I hope you'll make a video of it soon :)

I have not tried the M-motor yet, i'm pretty sure it will give it a bit more speed, but integrating them in the chassis might prove hard since they have no pinholes on the rear, but the extra stud of space might solve that issue, but i do kind of like the power of the L-motor, its is a tank after all! 

10 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Man, I wish I had the L motors, would be neat to try something fast on a small scale like that :)

Have you ever seen this creation of mine? this one has 2 buggy motors and can drive on both sides, it is fast, very fast, so fast that you have like zero accuracy when steering, but it's fun for sure!

19 hours ago, kbalage said:

10 hours ago, MattL600 said:

That looks great! It does look a bit fat in comparison to 42065, but I think that just makes it look cute! :sweet:

19 hours ago, kbalage said:

Me too... :laugh:

10 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Looks great, and seems like it would have great performance. I also will add my name to the list of those who wish for a video. :wink:

This will surely get a video, but since daylight is very limited after my work, this might take me some time, i hope to shoot some clips next weekend, so that buys me a week to finalize and tweek the design a bit (maybe)

10 hours ago, Marxpek said:

Have you ever seen this creation of mine? this one has 2 buggy motors and can drive on both sides

Wow, that's gotta be the fastest tracked vehicle I've ever seen!

Inspired by @Aventador2004 his pullback vehicles. i decided to make a micro tracked pullback racer, again, i have tried to make it as small as possible while resembling the 42065.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

as you can see it is pretty small, the rear wings are a bit out of proportion, but they serve a purpose: you can hold on to them to pull back the racer.

There is a small fixed bogie (I used a motor crank to offset it) to give it the correct stance and track tension, and the track tension has to be exactly right for the track to work smoothly, but they do, offering another problem: when you pull back the racer to its max, and let it go, it will do a few backwards somersaults..., the solution is: do not pull it back fully... that will manage a staggering 40-50 centimeter of distance, the tiny drive wheel diameter is to blame of course.