Lox Lego

Acura NSX GT3 Type R + Instructions - Framework and Bodywork

ENGINEERING IS AN ART. Equal parts rational and emotional, engineering is at its best when the tension between these sides results in harmony.

Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvSNFP8

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/loxlego/

Such was the vision for NSX GT3.  This was my inspiration:

24126569908_0be17eb3eb_b.jpgNSX GT3 inspiration by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

This project began with the intention on designing the fastest 1:8 scale car in my lineup. Thanks to @Kalps1811 for helpin me find this beauty and @DugaldIC for some suggestions that were at the perfect time.
I've really wanted to build a wide body, low racecar for some time now and the body style of this car allowed more room fit all the batteries into the framework for extra power.

37947382502_691aed2d2e_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3- outdoors by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

With the two battery packs and 2 S-bricks the power to the XL motors doubled, and had enough torque to also double up on the gearing.

26201654039_e945cabb11_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I'm proud to say the gears have never skipped once. The bodywork is 3/4 studs off the ground with ultra tight suspension. Two m-motors are tucked into the main console, each powering a single door.

37947007042_240844221d_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The front sports 10 headlights and a slightly tilted front / grill. 2 lights for the rear, easy battery access, V6 motor geared up 4x faster than before, adjustable seats & steering, working steering wheel powered by servo motor, opening hood and engine cover.

37268183284_b24433a1be_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

This is my first white supercar and am happy to use new color schemes.

37924023686_219f7d0f4e_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

37268202294_bcc2963ca8_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

26234884219_fdc81eff9a_b.jpgNSX- Filter Fire ? by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

37268194554_c1c5da7e7e_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

Its certainly recognizable, but I don't think it quite lives up (aesthetically) to your other builds. The front is just to high, and overall it feels a bit boxy. Mechanically though its very nice. keep up the good work. :thumbup:

It is great fast, and cool, but it is definitely boxy. I do realize this car is very hard to model, but it doesn't have the "wow" factor like your previous builds. 

If you go too fast, you may run out of cars to build. Would you ever try anything sedanlike?

New car again? Another build, worth making wallpaper from photo) I like how spoiler is fixed with these weird suspension links. Agreed - overall shape looks a little bit boxy comparing to original car.

Wow! :wub:

I want it on my shelf!

A sticker package from jaap would be perfect for this car!

From the race cars I have built, they look so much better once a sticker package is applied.

Comments above mention "boxy" which I don't see.  Comparing to the real car I think you did a fantastic job!  

The reason I think they say it is boxy because the hood is a stud or so too high.  Changing that however would mess up your alignment with the wheel well.  This might be able to improved by switching the 1x3 lift arms and using flex axles on the front.  I personally think it looks pretty good as is.

The one area I think could be improved and may give the illusion of a sleeker look is the front black area.  The real car is much thinner at the bottom giving it a Y shape.  Your design is more straight or square which may also lead to the "boxy" comments.

This is much better performance than your other 1:8 scaled Mocs for sure and I am happy to hear no skipping gears!  Not quite the fastest 1:8 (Tesla model S) but excellent performance none the less.

Another fantastic car IMO!

Dear Lox, first of all – thanks for sharing again your fun and for having covered the NSX GT3:excited:!

Let´s skip the hallelujah and go straight with the critics:

Pros:

-          amazing color scheme, white/black/red always look very persuasive

-          the use of black bowed panels is refreshing

-          you are a very fast builder and don´t tarry too long with minor difficulties

-          inventive use of the suspension links as holders for the rear spoiler

-          you have taken the higher step with the drivetrain and achieved the best possible speed performance, very well done :thumbup::thumbup:!

Cons:

-          beams over flex axles at the fenders look is way too much here

-          the front end is to high, especially at the edge

-          front grill doesn´t exist

-          the area below the front “window” where it borders the hood should be entirely black

-          the rear end is way too low

-          rear spoiler too big, particularly the lateral tails

-          the round lights within the lower air intakes are out of place

I´m always respecting artistic freedom. So this criticism, which represents my personal opinion only, is meant as positive and constructive as possible, I think you could do a lot better and create almost perfection, if giving a bit more attention to such details, especially while using blueprints. As you know – 1 stud here and there can make a huge difference. All of this doesn´t leave me indifferent, because I love this car very much too and have been thinking about building it for a long time too. But between thinking and just going ahead and making it happen lays a big difference, therefore – hats off anyway :sweet:!

I love it lox, I wasn't around to see the tail end of this build but I do like how you finished it off. I can agree with the front being slightly too high but that's seriously a very minor detail when compared to the rest. The colour scheme is bomb, the shape is awesome, those doors work flawlessly, your drivetrain is the most bomb proof I've ever seen and technically Speaking your strongest build to date, I love it! Keep up the killer work bro! 

Nice job. Another good car pumped out in so little time. I am kind of mixed on it though. The height of the front end gives it an Audi look. Also, the beams over flex axles technique for the wheel arches doesn't  quite seem to work as they are giving it curves that don't exist on the real car. Perhaps they were not needed on this particular moc.

Edited by Meatman

Thanks for sharing another great build with us, and for giving me a glimpse into the build process.  What am intense and exciting experience it is to to create / replicare something.  Making a decision and sticking with it amongst so many different options available is very difficult-more so now than ever given your reputation of great builds.

I love this, and have already reserved a space on my already crowded shelf for the NSX and so I hope you do plan on making instructions.

My favourite part of your  NSX is the rear and the wing!  The use of the suspension piece as others have already mentioned is incredible innovative as I don't recall anyone ever doing that before.

Keep driving forward!

Super-duper car! Do not know why but mostly like front lights, rear spoiler, and the original seats with technic old-style panels! Lox Lego is doing his best!

On 2017-10-27 at 10:20 PM, Myers Lego Technic said:

Its certainly recognizable, but I don't think it quite lives up (aesthetically) to your other builds. The front is just to high, and overall it feels a bit boxy. Mechanically though its very nice. keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thanks Myers! This car is almost a "side project" from the classic Supercar types I've been building recently. This was one of my challenges to myself: Build a new drivetrain capable of faster speeds with a super low framework and tight suspension. I feel I had done just that. You are definitely correct about the front being a stud too tall...  but was really having a tough time placing the hood over the wheels with only 2 studs to work with.

37299745444_748de27f54_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 - low and wide by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

On 2017-10-27 at 10:52 PM, Aventador2004 said:

It is great fast, and cool, but it is definitely boxy. I do realize this car is very hard to model, but it doesn't have the "wow" factor like your previous builds. 

If you go too fast, you may run out of cars to build. Would you ever try anything sedanlike?

Thanks @Aventador2004. To be honest, this car was a break from the cars I've been trying to model with the supercar shape. It was actually a breathe of fresh air to clear my mind of the difficult supercar bodies I will be creating next. I prob. wont be doing a Sedan in the near future... But I really dont think I'll ever run out of supercars to replicate :sweet:

24157059318_a86c18b517_z.jpgAcura NSX GT3 - Top view overlay by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

On 2017-10-28 at 12:03 AM, Victor Imaginator said:

New car again? Another build, worth making wallpaper from photo) I like how spoiler is fixed with these weird suspension links. Agreed - overall shape looks a little bit boxy comparing to original car.

Thanks Victor! I was pretty happy with the suspension links solution too :)

On 2017-10-28 at 12:13 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I cannot believe how fast you make each new car.... Performance on this one is awesome, but aesthetically, not your best. Overall, good work. :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 2017-10-28 at 5:24 AM, technic_addict said:

Wow! :wub:

I want it on my shelf!

A sticker package from jaap would be perfect for this car!

From the race cars I have built, they look so much better once a sticker package is applied.

Comments above mention "boxy" which I don't see.  Comparing to the real car I think you did a fantastic job!  

The reason I think they say it is boxy because the hood is a stud or so too high.  Changing that however would mess up your alignment with the wheel well.  This might be able to improved by switching the 1x3 lift arms and using flex axles on the front.  I personally think it looks pretty good as is.

The one area I think could be improved and may give the illusion of a sleeker look is the front black area.  The real car is much thinner at the bottom giving it a Y shape.  Your design is more straight or square which may also lead to the "boxy" comments.

This is much better performance than your other 1:8 scaled Mocs for sure and I am happy to hear no skipping gears!  Not quite the fastest 1:8 (Tesla model S) but excellent performance none the less.

Another fantastic car IMO!

Thanks @technic_addict! Yes, tough part about this hood was to provide a sharper hood angle in such a short distance. And you are spot on, the hood is 1 stud too high. I bet a sticker package would go a long way for this model :classic:

On 2017-10-28 at 6:51 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I can agree with the boxy comments, and I would like to add that the front is a bit inaccurate as far as shaping goes. But very nice model! 

Cheers!

On 2017-10-28 at 7:14 AM, brunojj1 said:

Dear Lox, first of all – thanks for sharing again your fun and for having covered the NSX GT3:excited:!

Let´s skip the hallelujah and go straight with the critics:

Pros:

-          amazing color scheme, white/black/red always look very persuasive

-          the use of black bowed panels is refreshing

-          you are a very fast builder and don´t tarry too long with minor difficulties

-          inventive use of the suspension links as holders for the rear spoiler

-          you have taken the higher step with the drivetrain and achieved the best possible speed performance, very well done :thumbup::thumbup:!

Cons:

-          beams over flex axles at the fenders look is way too much here

-          the front end is to high, especially at the edge

-          front grill doesn´t exist

-          the area below the front “window” where it borders the hood should be entirely black

-          the rear end is way too low

-          rear spoiler too big, particularly the lateral tails

-          the round lights within the lower air intakes are out of place

I´m always respecting artistic freedom. So this criticism, which represents my personal opinion only, is meant as positive and constructive as possible, I think you could do a lot better and create almost perfection, if giving a bit more attention to such details, especially while using blueprints. As you know – 1 stud here and there can make a huge difference. All of this doesn´t leave me indifferent, because I love this car very much too and have been thinking about building it for a long time too. But between thinking and just going ahead and making it happen lays a big difference, therefore – hats off anyway :sweet:!

Hey @brunojj1! Thanks for the comments. Below is a picture of the car I really was replicating, the Type R. It has the larger fog lights, the rear end is extremely low, and has a massive wing. I do see what you mean with other aspects you've pointed out and I'm glad you did! This is the first Racecar body type with massive wing and first time with using limited pieces in white so there were many things to adapt to in a short time. I would like to PM you with a few photos of future builds for your expert eye if you don't mind in the future!! :blush:

37300511064_cee7344222_b.jpgAcura NSX GT3 - Type R by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

On 2017-10-28 at 10:20 AM, DugaldIC said:

I love it lox, I wasn't around to see the tail end of this build but I do like how you finished it off. I can agree with the front being slightly too high but that's seriously a very minor detail when compared to the rest. The colour scheme is bomb, the shape is awesome, those doors work flawlessly, your drivetrain is the most bomb proof I've ever seen and technically Speaking your strongest build to date, I love it! Keep up the killer work bro! 

Thanks Dugald! This is by far the strongest framework. It had to be: the car couldn't flex as its 3/4 studs off the ground. Cheers :)

On 2017-10-28 at 10:55 AM, Meatman said:

Nice job. Another good car pumped out in so little time. I am kind of mixed on it though. The height of the front end gives it an Audi look. Also, the beams over flex axles technique for the wheel arches doesn't  quite seem to work as they are giving it curves that don't exist on the real car. Perhaps they were not needed on this particular moc.

Hi Meatman, I'm starting to see what you mean about not using the flex axles for the front. Other solutions could have been a bit better, thanks for the suggestions. Below is why it looks like an Audi, the cars are identical.

On 2017-10-28 at 11:30 AM, KD123 said:

Thanks for sharing another great build with us, and for giving me a glimpse into the build process.  What am intense and exciting experience it is to to create / replicare something.  Making a decision and sticking with it amongst so many different options available is very difficult-more so now than ever given your reputation of great builds.

I love this, and have already reserved a space on my already crowded shelf for the NSX and so I hope you do plan on making instructions.

My favourite part of your  NSX is the rear and the wing!  The use of the suspension piece as others have already mentioned is incredible innovative as I don't recall anyone ever doing that before.

Keep driving forward!

Cheers @KD123! I like your line "Making a decision and sticking with it". I feel this is an important part of building, to keep the originality flowing. I would be honored if you made this model, and thank you so much for the help with the rear lights!

On 2017-10-28 at 12:09 PM, Aleh said:

Super-duper car! Do not know why but mostly like front lights, rear spoiler, and the original seats with technic old-style panels! Lox Lego is doing his best!

Thanks for the kind words @Aleh :blush:

Below is a photo overlay of the NSX. The Type R is much wider and lower than the white NSX I used in the photos. I agree the front hood could go 1 stud lower but overall it is a close match to the original.

37955208586_e17e7c9f4c_z.jpgAcura NSX GT3 - Photo overlay by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

1 hour ago, Lox Lego said:

Hey @brunojj1! Thanks for the comments. Below is a picture of the car I really was replicating, the Type R. It has the larger fog lights, the rear end is extremely low, and has a massive wing. I do see what you mean with other aspects you've pointed out and I'm glad you did! This is the first Racecar body type with massive wing and first time with using limited pieces in white so there were many things to adapt to in a short time. I would like to PM you with a few photos of future builds for your expert eye if you don't mind in the future!! :blush:

You are right, the Type R is even more adapted to the race track than the GT3, it sits lower and has a bigger wing. Anyway, the proportions between front and rear end are the same - means approx. 2 - 3 studs difference in height. The overlay pictures reveal clearly not only that, but the roof being 1 stud too high as well. If all of that sounds picky, well - in your Ford GT we don´t see as many deviations and that´s why it´s looking so overwhelmingly good :thumbup::wink:.  It´s all about the "right" proportions. E.g. the designer of the real car tried to adapt the "perfect" proportions of the Ferrari 458, that´s what the NSX design is inspired by and why it has nothing to do with its predecessor.  

Of course I will never mind if you would contact me for cooperation - two dumb heads are better than one :laugh:!

Edited by brunojj1

Fantastic build and I wish I could build it tomorrow!! I have built all your supercars but this one is a bit different...it looks like a stronger build and drives smoother. For sure stick with supercars...there are so many to choose from!! Looking forward to the next set of plans!!

18 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

You are right, the Type R is even more adapted to the race track than the GT3, it sits lower and has a bigger wing. Anyway, the proportions between front and rear end are the same - means approx. 2 - 3 studs difference in height. The overlay pictures reveal clearly not only that, but the roof being 1 stud too high as well. If all of that sounds picky, well - in your Ford GT we don´t see as many deviations and that´s why it´s looking so overwhelmingly good :thumbup::wink:.  It´s all about the "right" proportions. E.g. the designer of the real car tried to adapt the "perfect" proportions of the Ferrari 458, that´s what the NSX design is inspired by and why it has nothing to do with its predecessor.  

Of course I will never mind if you would contact me for cooperation - two dumb heads are better than one :laugh:!

Well you’ve just motivated me to really follow the design intent! You are so right... those small discrepancies really make or break the replication of the car. I am always amazed at people’s abilty to see those small discrepancies with our own eyes! And thanks for the offer to oversee my new builds... I really would like your opinion on the next one before I’m done. Many thanks!

There are three things we know for certain about Lox:

• He builds fast
  • He's into cars
  • He likes red

800x397.jpg

14 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

• He builds fast
  • He's into cars
  • He likes red

:snip:

You sure about that last one? :laugh:

55 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

• He builds fast
  • He's into cars
  • He likes red

800x397.jpg

Great pic of his supercars!  He actually built the FXX in black but it was suggested to do instructions in red as well.

Just now, technic_addict said:

Great pic of his supercars!  He actually built the FXX in black but it was suggested to do instructions in red as well.

I thought it happened the other way around.  I can always change the picture.  And of course his later models still need to get added.

12 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I thought it happened the other way around.  I can always change the picture.  And of course his later models still need to get added.

Very cool Blakbird, many thanks!~ More coming? Would love to see the Ford GT rendered with a few different views :wub:

1 hour ago, Lox Lego said:

Very cool Blakbird, many thanks!~ More coming? Would love to see the Ford GT rendered with a few different views :wub:

I don't have the file for the GT yet, but I will do renders when I do.  And then the Acura of course.

Amazing work. I think its really awesome! It is a really hard shape and look to match with the restrictions of Lego and those familiar with the Type R history and lineage will appreciate the fact that it kind of has to be white to represent the true Type R color of Championship White. The interior really captures the feel of a Type R as well, iconic red suede seating and race-car inspired cockpit in a production car. Fantastic MOC!

On 31.10.2017 at 5:58 AM, Blakbird said:

• He builds fast
  • He's into cars
  • He likes red

Ha-ha, I'm laughing loudly ))

personally I would say the front being too high really isn't a huge issue. While it doesn't represent the real NSX perfectly, it doesn't look bad at all. I actually almost prefer the front being high...