KDog

Star Wars EBay Find Too Good to Be True?

The lack of feedback makes me question its legitimacy. I personally wouldn't do it without a return policy/pics of the contents, but for $20 I guess it's worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out :thumbup:

I figure for less than 20 bucks, it's a low-risk gamble. eBay and Paypal make it easy enough to get your money back. And if it's real and complete, it's a steal. It'll certainly recoup its cost and more if I sell it loose in a few years. Granted, I've been pining for this set since I first saw it. Will let you know the outcome!

Edited by KDog

Thanks, Stash! Good to see you, too. I have to admit, part of the reason I went ahead and bought this was the mystery.

No this isn't legitimate, and while you may have purchase protection, this ends up costing eBay and PayPal money, which ultimately is pushed back to legitimate sellers.

Just report these auctions and move on next time please.

1 hour ago, KevinMD said:

No this isn't legitimate, and while you may have purchase protection, this ends up costing eBay and PayPal money, which ultimately is pushed back to legitimate sellers.

Just report these auctions and move on next time please.

While you're probably right, I'm still curious to see if there's a chance the seller comes through. What's their motivation if it's fraud? To run away with 19 bucks and change on the two of these sets they listed? They could have listed these for $50 each and still sold them, and they could have listed other sets and haven't. It's just so strange. I'm a seller, too (and aware of how eBay seems to treat buyers better than sellers), so if this ends up being a scam, I certainly won't make that mistake again. As for reporting the seller, is there a real reason you can do that in this case? I'm not sure there's anything in the auction itself that violates eBay policy. Is there a history of sets being listed like this by someone who creates new profiles?

Well, based on the lack of images besides the front of a damaged box, I'm betting that they either ran off with $20 x 2 for nothing at all (you'll never get a shipment), or you'll get just the empty, damaged box that they picked out of the trash and might claim that the pieces must have fallen out in shipping, or best case scenario you'll get that maybe genuine Lego box filled with some super-cheap clone parts... and then the seller just fades away, creates a new account, and does it all again.

But... there is always a chance.  Do update us when something happens, and good luck!  :classic:

8 minutes ago, deraven said:

Well, based on the lack of images besides the front of a damaged box, I'm betting that they either ran off with $20 x 2 for nothing at all (you'll never get a shipment), or you'll get just the empty, damaged box that they picked out of the trash and might claim that the pieces must have fallen out in shipping, or best case scenario you'll get that maybe genuine Lego box filled with some super-cheap clone parts... and then the seller just fades away, creates a new account, and does it all again.

But... there is always a chance.  Do update us when something happens, and good luck!  :classic:

Agreed, the chances of it being legit are slim, but I'll document it here, either way. Would be funny if I paid $20 for an empty box. Suddenly that deal wouldn't seem so sweet!

If worse comes to worse, I have noticed that the Star Destroyer is (seemingly) legitimately selling for about $100-120 on eBay, quite a bit less than retail.

So, I researched this a little more.... The seller included the word "eBay" in their  auction title, which is kind of unique. I searched sold auctions for "LEGO eBay" and lo and behold, there are many auctions very similar to the one I purchased. All are from different Chinese sellers with no feedback and long names. Sometimes there are two of an item sold. They're all Buy It Now prices around $15 or $20. Most have an auction description that describes some flaw in the item to "explain" the low price - damaged box, a few missing parts, etc. The key here I think is that, when you click on a few of the older auctions, you can see they've been removed. So I suspect the older listings were reported by unhappy buyers, and the newer auctions have buyers still within the time before they can file a complaint. I did manage to find negative feedback on one of the auctions: "Item was not sent, no communication from seller"

So, this seems like a scammer who is trying to fly under the radar a bit, collecting smaller dollar amounts and sending nothing, and probably sticking eBay and Paypal with the bill. While I could be wrong, I suspect the suspicious among you here have it right. Buyer beware.

EDIT: I have called eBay and given them examples of what seem to be fraudulent auctions.

Edited by KDog

I'm almost certain it's a frod. I "Bought" a Lego Death Star NISB for $56 and it never came. I got my money back but still.

20 hours ago, MovieMocs said:

I'm almost certain it's a frod. I "Bought" a Lego Death Star NISB for $56 and it never came. I got my money back but still.

I'll guarantee you we both made the same mistake! Anyway, the listing page for the item I bought has been removed by eBay, and the seller is no longer a member. I have to wait 10 days, then can file a claim. I really hope eBay took my advice and connected all these auctions that are probably from the same seller using multiple accounts. It has be to costing them a bundle in claims.

@KDog Hey I saw that listing lol! I was soo close to buying it but did not end up doing so (clearly) 

On 10/28/2017 at 4:50 PM, MovieMocs said:

I have recently "purchased" a death star on Ebay..... around the same amount... this is putting doubt in me that anything will come from that.  Where was yours from? Mine is supposedly from Stockholm, Sweden  

1 hour ago, star wars geek said:

@KDog Hey I saw that listing lol! I was soo close to buying it but did not end up doing so (clearly) 

I have recently "purchased" a death star on Ebay..... around the same amount... this is putting doubt in me that anything will come from that.  Where was yours from? Mine is supposedly from Stockholm, Sweden  

Mine was from Germany but where it's from doesn't really matter because anyone who is doing this is probably going to make a fake account and choose a random country.