KDog

Lego: Space - The Comic

Great work KDog, I read this yesterday and remembered laughing aloud, but can't remember what at, i'll go read it again. I love the direction this is going in, can I ask a couple of questions?

Do you have a set arc for this storyline? Meaning, do you have the storyline kind of etched out?

Is there an end in sight? I really enjoy these, how long do you think you'll be making them for?

Any chances of an Insectoid appearance? *grin* (Sorry, I'm just kidding, I love the factions and way they've been incorporated so far.

Thanks for making these delightful strips again.

Batbrick Away! *devil*

Great work KDog, I read this yesterday and remembered laughing aloud, but can't remember what at, i'll go read it again. I love the direction this is going in, can I ask a couple of questions?

Do you have a set arc for this storyline? Meaning, do you have the storyline kind of etched out?

Is there an end in sight? I really enjoy these, how long do you think you'll be making them for?

Any chances of an Insectoid appearance? *grin* (Sorry, I'm just kidding, I love the factions and way they've been incorporated so far.

Thanks for making these delightful strips again.

Batbrick Away! *devil*

To answer your questions, I do have a set arc for the storyline, similar to what would be like the a season of a TV show, with a big finale and all. There's certain comics that I have plotted on paper, and others that are well-developed in my head or just basic ideas. While I plan to regularly develop that storyline in the upcoming months, there will also be comics that are just silly or have little to do with the overall plot. I have an end for the first "season," which will have dangling plot threads to be picked up in the next arc, but beyond there I don't have much worked out. I think the first season might be about 100 comics. I may take a month or two off between seasons, we'll see. I'd like to make the comics for as long as I enjoy them, hopefully years, not months. The good thing is that they're not that time-consuming and I'm getting ever quicker at making them. Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty busy with work and other stuff. :) As for the Insectoids, I'll just say this - For some reason, I just tracked down and purchased the Arachnoid Starbase. But you might not see it for awhile... Anyway, I'm really glad you're enjoying these. For me, it's a great creative outlet that gives me a reason to "play" with Legos, so win-win. :)

As a side note, I think I've gotten to the point where I've introduced almost all the main characters that are part of the first season of comics. For anyone keeping score, there's:

Classic Space-

Commander Schwartz

President Weiss

Undead Captain Dash

Captain Amarillo

Futuron-

Commander Galanos

DACTA

Ice Planet-

The Ice Babe

Blacktron-

Commander Valkyrie

Blacktron II-

Lt. Verwaand

The Commodore

M:Tron-

Scouse

UFO-

The mysterious guy in the black cloak

Space Police-

Officer Freundlich

The Chief

There's also two Futuron characters you'll meet in the next comic, and another Classic Space astronaut who shows up later and is important. I may also have a Mars Mission (the current theme with the jellies) storyline.

How can I persuade you to include my sigfig? *tongue*

No images show up for you, at least on my computer. What minifig is it?

As a side note, I think I've gotten to the point where I've introduced almost all the main characters that are part of the first season of comics. For anyone keeping score, there's:

Classic Space-

Commander Schwartz

President Weiss

Undead Captain Dash

Captain Amarillo

Futuron-

Commander Galanos

DACTA

Ice Planet-

The Ice Babe

Blacktron-

Commander Valkyrie

Blacktron II-

Lt. Verwaand

The Commodore

Scouse

UFO-

Space Police-

Officer Freundlich

The Chief

There's also two Futuron characters you'll meet in the next comic, and another Classic Space astronaut who shows up later and is important. I may also have a Mars Mission (the current theme with the jellies) storyline.

Great summary of your character! Haha, this is really comprehensive! *classic* Look forward to your new strips. I enjoyed reading it!

To answer your questions, I do have a set arc for the storyline, similar to what would be like the a season of a TV show, with a big finale and all. There's certain comics that I have plotted on paper, and others that are well-developed in my head or just basic ideas. While I plan to regularly develop that storyline in the upcoming months, there will also be comics that are just silly or have little to do with the overall plot. I have an end for the first "season," which will have dangling plot threads to be picked up in the next arc, but beyond there I don't have much worked out. I think the first season might be about 100 comics. I may take a month or two off between seasons, we'll see. I'd like to make the comics for as long as I enjoy them, hopefully years, not months. The good thing is that they're not that time-consuming and I'm getting ever quicker at making them. Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty busy with work and other stuff. :) As for the Insectoids, I'll just say this - For some reason, I just tracked down and purchased the Arachnoid Starbase. But you might not see it for awhile... Anyway, I'm really glad you're enjoying these. For me, it's a great creative outlet that gives me a reason to "play" with Legos, so win-win. :)

Thanks for that KDog, I find this information really interesting, especially, well, all of it. I certainly love the idea of a finale not unlike a tv show, I won't presume to ask questions regarding it's plot but I assum it would have more parts than a regular arc? Anyway, I like that you aren't being totally restricting on the storyline, I love to see an episode every now and again that just makes me laugh. Plus, it helps you know the characters more. 100 comics eh? Nice, thats a lot of work. I'm surprised to hear they don't take much time, your photography (something I certainly struggle at) is pretty much always crisp and clean. It seems you enjoy making them, which is great, and as you say, it lets you "play" with Lego again, so thats always fun. Regarding the Insectoids, good work getting that base, that was a set I always wanted, do you plan on expanding your space collection much may I ask?

Classic Space-

Commander Schwartz

President Weiss

Undead Captain Dash

Captain Amarillo

Futuron-

Commander Galanos

DACTA

Ice Planet-

The Ice Babe

Blacktron-

Commander Valkyrie

Blacktron II-

Lt. Verwaand

The Commodore

Scouse

UFO-

Space Police-

Officer Freundlich

The Chief

I'll just shrink that down a little. Wow, you certainly have a lot more characters than I thought, yet you make it rather easy to keep track if them (with the exception of the first few episodes, which understandably had a lot to introduce). I also didn't realise how many factions you had included, its great to see an entire universe forged out for them. Anyway, tell me if I'm bugging you by asking too many questions, sorry, i'm just very interested.

Batbrick Away! *devil*

Batbrick, I don't mind the questions. I'm just glad you're interested. As for my collection, it's really big enough as it is, so I've stopped actively seeking out more classic sets. Sure, there's more I would like to have (Galaxy Explorer, the Ice Planet base, ie.) but storage space and $ have prevented it. I'll likely pick up a sampling of whatever new space sets come out in the future. I definitely have my eye on the new Factory sets.

Anyway, a new comic is up...

DACTA (Part 5):

http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/index.php?p=388539

I think the Captain Dash story has been the most well-received so far, so I wanted to touch on it again. And look closely, for Schwartz and Galanos' robot pals renew their conflict.

The Stardefender 200 is probably the most desired set, outside the Monorail, in the Futuron series. It's graceful, has a beautiful color scheme, and the pods can detach and combine to form a second craft. Unfortunately, it is also somewhat fragile, as the landing gear and guns pop off easily. The 200 printed on the canopy is a puzzling choice for Lego, so I decided to play up the duality.

I have been following these aswell, and they never dissapoint :tongue:

My favorite recent part is when he announces the guy's name and says he wishes to remain anonymous. :blush:

This series is slowly growing on me. :wub:

Only slowly? lol

I enjoyed making the anonymity joke, which I didn't even think of until I was lettering the comic. I'm a reporter in real life, btw. :)

Batbrick, I don't mind the questions. I'm just glad you're interested. As for my collection, it's really big enough as it is, so I've stopped actively seeking out more classic sets. Sure, there's more I would like to have (Galaxy Explorer, the Ice Planet base, ie.) but storage space and $ have prevented it. I'll likely pick up a sampling of whatever new space sets come out in the future. I definitely have my eye on the new Factory sets.

Thanks for those answers. I can imagine your collection being rather huge, so thats fairly understandable. When you say you have your eye on the new factory sets, do you mean you intend to purchase them? Or do you wish to only get one or you are just interested?

Anyway, a new comic is up...

DACTA (Part 5):

http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/index.php?p=388539

I think the Captain Dash story has been the most well-received so far, so I wanted to touch on it again. And look closely, for Schwartz and Galanos' robot pals renew their conflict.

The Stardefender 200 is probably the most desired set, outside the Monorail, in the Futuron series. It's graceful, has a beautiful color scheme, and the pods can detach and combine to form a second craft. Unfortunately, it is also somewhat fragile, as the landing gear and guns pop off easily. The 200 printed on the canopy is a puzzling choice for Lego, so I decided to play up the duality.

:laugh: , this one is easily my favourite so far, because it just did everything right. I don't often laugh at the computer screen, but this one certainly made me. It propelled the story forward while still making those absurd but funny DACTA jokes ("Back to you, me!"), and good old fashioned robot background wrestling. That Stardefender 200 looks like a beautiful set too, kudos for getting me back into my space interests again.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thanks, Batbrick. If I helped revive your interest in the awesome Space stuff, my work has been successful. ;-)

I'm inclined to purchase the Space Skulls and Star Justice. I've been putting a few bucks aside with the idea that I might. If I can find them at the Lego Store that is fairly close to where I live, at least I won't have to pay the shipping that Shop-At-Home would charge.

Thanks, Batbrick. If I helped revive your interest in the awesome Space stuff, my work has been successful. ;-)

Yes, thanks a lot for that. I have always loved the space theme but so far have not built any mocs or made any huge effort in the area, so thanks again for that. I might rebuild my sets sometime tomorrow actually, seeing as I only have a few surviving instructions. I have the mid-sized UFO set, mid-sized Insectoids set and couple of little Ice Planet and Space Police stuff. Plus, looking at the designs of Lego craft I realise I had it all wrong, I'll try and make a few space mocs one day.

I'm inclined to purchase the Space Skulls and Star Justice. I've been putting a few bucks aside with the idea that I might. If I can find them at the Lego Store that is fairly close to where I live, at least I won't have to pay the shipping that Shop-At-Home would charge.

They are great sets, and those reviews truly blew any doubts out of the water. I really hope to get one, but am torn between the two. Space Skulls has better pieces for me, in better colours. Plus, I'm addicted to their cheesy premise. But Star Justice is a great homage to classic space, also with brilliant designs and a sweet base. Can't decide!

I certainly can't get both, so I'll have to think hard...

One more thing as well, Galanos and Shwartz seem to be the main characters of your work so far, is this intentional or do you plan on giving equal time to other characters as the story develops? Not saying this is a bad thing of course, Shwartz is my favourite character alongside Valkyrie, I was just curious if their story is the center of it all.

Yes, thanks a lot for that. I have always loved the space theme but so far have not built any mocs or made any huge effort in the area, so thanks again for that. I might rebuild my sets sometime tomorrow actually, seeing as I only have a few surviving instructions. I have the mid-sized UFO set, mid-sized Insectoids set and couple of little Ice Planet and Space Police stuff. Plus, looking at the designs of Lego craft I realise I had it all wrong, I'll try and make a few space mocs one day.

They are great sets, and those reviews truly blew any doubts out of the water. I really hope to get one, but am torn between the two. Space Skulls has better pieces for me, in better colours. Plus, I'm addicted to their cheesy premise. But Star Justice is a great homage to classic space, also with brilliant designs and a sweet base. Can't decide!

I certainly can't get both, so I'll have to think hard...

One more thing as well, Galanos and Shwartz seem to be the main characters of your work so far, is this intentional or do you plan on giving equal time to other characters as the story develops? Not saying this is a bad thing of course, Shwartz is my favourite character alongside Valkyrie, I was just curious if their story is the center of it all.

I'm divided, too. I think Star Justice is the set that most appeals to me in the way that is really pays homage to Classic Space and looks great. Love the base, the vehicles, the minifigs. It feels like a complete set and worth the money. Space Skulls, on the other hand, feel somehow incomplete and is really odd. Yet, I love the campiness of it all and how different it is from any Space set that's come before. And I have ideas on how to use both of these sets in my comic. So, I might bite the bullet and get both when I see them. (I'm selling some Transformers on eBay this week, so it might work out, anyway.) And they officially come out this week, lol.

I look fwd to seeing your MOCs, btw.

Galanos and Schwartz are intended for sure to be the central characters, Schwartz even more so, and they will be front and center in most of the action as it goes forth. Valkyrie is the third main character, no doubt. I haven't had Valkyrie and Schwartz encounter each other yet, but they will, and soon...

I can't believe I missed this!

THIS IS AWESOME! really! :thumbup:

- action-packed photographs

- great thoughts (especially the mysterious red space zombie...!)

- I love the idea of giving each Space theme some kind of character (the M:Tron as bar bullies...)

- and the german-colour-names of the classic space guys

- and all this classic space stuff...!

Keep up the good work!

I'm divided, too. I think Star Justice is the set that most appeals to me in the way that is really pays homage to Classic Space and looks great. Love the base, the vehicles, the minifigs. It feels like a complete set and worth the money. Space Skulls, on the other hand, feel somehow incomplete and is really odd. Yet, I love the campiness of it all and how different it is from any Space set that's come before. And I have ideas on how to use both of these sets in my comic. So, I might bite the bullet and get both when I see them. (I'm selling some Transformers on eBay this week, so it might work out, anyway.) And they officially come out this week, lol.

I look fwd to seeing your MOCs, btw.

Galanos and Schwartz are intended for sure to be the central characters, Schwartz even more so, and they will be front and center in most of the action as it goes forth. Valkyrie is the third main character, no doubt. I haven't had Valkyrie and Schwartz encounter each other yet, but they will, and soon...

Yes, I think I will get the Star Justice, though I will be very sad to miss Space Skulls. I agree with you too, the Star Justice feels more complete and Classic Space, but Space Skulls is something entirely new and wacky, I never would of thought of undeads in space. This week!? Wow, I'd better hold onto my money then, I still don't know how much money they are. Is there any recent sets you know of to compare its price to?

I just have to come up with an idea first, I think I might make a more grounded buggy or something to start me off before I delve into starships.

Thats cool, I thought they might have been. Soon huh? Interesting, I was looking forward to Valkyrie coming again. Don't give away too much though, I like surprises :classic:

Wow, I was re-reading through these yesterday and realised just how many comics you've done. What program do you use may I ask?

New Comic:

DACTA (Part 6):

http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/index.php?p=388664

Although you can't really see it here, I updated the cantina to have a more genuine Futuron color scheme.

-----

Batrbrick, I think the only sets I could compare the price of the new Factory Space sets to are the other Factory sets in other themes that have been released. Some of those are more than $99, though. The command base for Mars Mission retails for about $90, so that price range isn't unheard of. I'm not sure how the piece count of the latter set compares to the Factory Space sets.

Don't worry, I haven't revealed too much. And I use Paint Shop Pro X, by the way, which is much, much more affordable than than Photoshop. Not as good, of course, but good enough for the stuff I use it for.

Bernd, thanks for the good review! And good catch on the names.

Nice one, but I have one question: How the hell does Scouse breath in deep space with his helmet open? :wacko:

It´s very interesting to see how some of the loose ends of your different story lines now starts to come together,

especially that ghost ship part and the mysterious encounter of Captain Amarillo. The appearance of the UFO faction

looks indeed very promising, well done. :thumbup:

Nice one, but I have one question: How the hell does Scouse breath in deep space with his helmet open? :wacko:

Wellll... suspension of disbelief when it comes to the design of the Lego ships. Most ships don't have an interior that isn't open to space, mainly so kids can play with the things. While things can appear open to space, they're really not, at least in my imagination. I've done that before with photographing flying ships with the cockpits open (in order to get better shots of the characters). I was thinking that that scene wasn't necessarily taking place on the outside of the ship in reality, but the limits of the ship's design require I show that. The Interstellar Starfighter seems too me like it would be bigger on the inside, with hallways and labs. But if that's too off the wall, let's just say the ship had atmospheric forcefields in place. :)

In retrospect, I should have used the Alien Avenger, since it has an interior that would have been suitable. But I let my desire to build and photograph the Intersetllar Starfighter (which I acquired recently) win out.

Or, I just could have closed Scouse's visor, lol.

Wellll... suspension of disbelief when it comes to the design of the Lego ships. Most ships don't have an interior that isn't open to space, mainly so kids can play with the things. While things can appear open to space, they're really not, at least in my imagination. I've done that before with photographing flying ships with the cockpits open (in order to get better shots of the characters). I was thinking that that scene wasn't necessarily taking place on the outside of the ship in reality, but the limits of the ship's design require I show that. The Interstellar Starfighter seems too me like it would be bigger on the inside, with hallways and labs. But if that's too off the wall, let's just say the ship had atmospheric forcefields in place. :)

In retrospect, I should have used the Alien Avenger, since it has an interior that would have been suitable. But I let my desire to build and photograph the Intersetllar Starfighter (which I acquired recently) win out.

Ah yes, that's an argument. Or they established an atmosphere around the ship. :wink:

Excellent new part KDog, I love the mystery growing around the UFO faction. The revealing of their ship is very nice too, well done on showing the Interstellar Starfighter, that was a set I wanted so much when I was younger. Great that you are keeping track of the characters too, one thing I love is that there seems to be atleast one main character from each space theme so far.

Batrbrick, I think the only sets I could compare the price of the new Factory Space sets to are the other Factory sets in other themes that have been released. Some of those are more than $99, though. The command base for Mars Mission retails for about $90, so that price range isn't unheard of. I'm not sure how the piece count of the latter set compares to the Factory Space sets.

Don't worry, I haven't revealed too much. And I use Paint Shop Pro X, by the way, which is much, much more affordable than than Photoshop. Not as good, of course, but good enough for the stuff I use it for.

Ah, thanks for that. I was actually only asking for a set with a similar price so I could guess how much the set was in Aus dollar, so thanks for that. The S@h allows me to see what pricing US has anyway, I forgot, seems Star Justice and Space Skulls will be about the price of the latest large Castle set, which was pretty much what I was expecting. That means I'll only be able to get one, so it looks like Star Justice for me. Which is quite sad, as I was in love with all the Skull ships.

Paint Shop Pro X, seems quite good from your work. The speech bubbles can sometimes need a little work, but overall I'd say you've been quite effective.

I'm glad you used the Interstellar Starfighter, boy does that bring back memories, spending hours looking at a catalogue and all the sets I wanted...

:laugh: , Once again, a great comic KDog.

I like how the Robots continue to fight eachother in the background.

Your comic inspired me to get as many Space sets as I can... And have more bar brawls

It's a truly great comic.

M:Tron/Roboforce Bar Brawling On!

Thanks, Inertia. Don't get into too much trouble with those bar brawls. You might get abducted by aliens afterwards. ;-)

I love that the comic seems to be drumming up a little Space-based business for Lego and second-hand sellers. Just yesterday, an old friend of mine revealed he had been religiously following my comic and had been inspired to not only dig out his old containers of Legos, but to go out and buy the Spongebob rocket ship set, which he thought had a great Buck Rogers feel to it. This conversation occurred during a phone call in which he told me his wife had given birth to their first child, so I said now he can go buy Legos for himself and just say they're for his daughter. :)

Anyway, I'm really anxious to complete and post the next comic, but work has been knock-down-drag-out-non-stop busy and I don't expect to have any free time (aside from posting this, lol) until Wednesday. Hang in there (and on to your helmets)!