KDog

Lego: Space - The Comic

On 12/17/2017 at 12:45 AM, KDog said:

I bought a used Crater Cruiser on Bricklink after reading this chapter.  

The versatility of the Crater Cruiser is unusual, because it appears that the rear section of the wheeled vehicle has a vectored drive unit that allows for takeoff from the surface of a planet.  Most LEGO space rovers need to be transported by other ships to a different world, but the Crater Cruiser is capable of interplanetary travel without external help.  The detachable fighter/scout ship is also useful for turning the tables on opponents... who could find themselves battling two ships instead of one!

Overall, the Crater Cruiser is a hidden gem.  Having a "Ralph Gunbar" minifigure sitting in the Crater Cruiser on a shelf in my home office is also kind of funny, given his dubious levels of productivity on the job at Unitron :laugh:  

On 7/27/2020 at 4:35 PM, hagridshut said:

I bought a used Crater Cruiser on Bricklink after reading this chapter.  

The versatility of the Crater Cruiser is unusual, because it appears that the rear section of the wheeled vehicle has a vectored drive unit that allows for takeoff from the surface of a planet.  Most LEGO space rovers need to be transported by other ships to a different world, but the Crater Cruiser is capable of interplanetary travel without external help.  The detachable fighter/scout ship is also useful for turning the tables on opponents... who could find themselves battling two ships instead of one!

Overall, the Crater Cruiser is a hidden gem.  Having a "Ralph Gunbar" minifigure sitting in the Crater Cruiser on a shelf in my home office is also kind of funny, given his dubious levels of productivity on the job at Unitron :laugh:  

I'm glad I can inspire others to track down awesome LEGO Space sets! Hopefully it wasn't too expensive. I hadn't really thought about the Crater Cruiser in that light but that's an amazing observation! I do often feel a little restricted by the land-based vehicles. How do they get there on distant planets? In my mind, yes, they have to be dropped off by unseen spacefaring ships. But yes, the Crater Cruiser designers seem to have put a lot of thought into the versatility and functionality of the model. Of course, as you say, with Gunbar on duty, I'm not sure a lot gets done. The ship is good for beer runs, anyway. :-)

Today's new comic... (Now, do you wanna get the monorail?... lol)

"Double Knuckle Sandwich"
Date Night II (Part 19):
http://spacethecomic.com/comic/date-night-ii-part-19/

8 hours ago, KDog said:

I'm glad I can inspire others to track down awesome LEGO Space sets! Hopefully it wasn't too expensive. I hadn't really thought about the Crater Cruiser in that light but that's an amazing observation! I do often feel a little restricted by the land-based vehicles. How do they get there on distant planets? In my mind, yes, they have to be dropped off by unseen spacefaring ships. But yes, the Crater Cruiser designers seem to have put a lot of thought into the versatility and functionality of the model. Of course, as you say, with Gunbar on duty, I'm not sure a lot gets done. The ship is good for beer runs, anyway. :-)

Today's new comic... (Now, do you wanna get the monorail?... lol)

"Double Knuckle Sandwich"
Date Night II (Part 19):
http://spacethecomic.com/comic/date-night-ii-part-19/

Not too expensive!  Secondhand Crater Cruisers sell for approximately $35-40 + shipping on Bricklink. 

For some perspective, I looked at the Crater Cruiser's RRP/MSRP from 1995, which was $18 according to Brickset: https://brickset.com/sets/1787-1/Crater-Cruiser.  I'd have to find one of my old LEGO catalogs to see what the Shop@Home service charged for home delivery, but I think it was something like $3-4.  Back then, shipping could take awhile.  I remember waiting several weeks to receive a promo set that I'd earned through rewards points.

Accounting for inflation as measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, today's $35-40 asking prices translate to $20.70-$23.66 in 1995 dollars.  That's just a bit more than what they would have cost new in 1995.  The $8 shipping cost in 2020 for Priority Mail is equivalent to $4.73 in 1995.  This is pricy relative to the cost of the set, but 2-day delivery is also extremely quick by 1995 standards.  Was the Crater Cruiser worth it?  Heck yes!  After 25 years it's definitely worth it.  

I'd love to get a monorail someday.

The biggest issue with the monorail is that I don't have any space in the house to set it up.  My current collection is already taking up all the shelf and table space I can spare :laugh:  

Edited by hagridshut

On 7/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, hagridshut said:

Not too expensive!  Secondhand Crater Cruisers sell for approximately $35-40 + shipping on Bricklink. 

For some perspective, I looked at the Crater Cruiser's RRP/MSRP from 1995, which was $18 according to Brickset: https://brickset.com/sets/1787-1/Crater-Cruiser.  I'd have to find one of my old LEGO catalogs to see what the Shop@Home service charged for home delivery, but I think it was something like $3-4.  Back then, shipping could take awhile.  I remember waiting several weeks to receive a promo set that I'd earned through rewards points.

Accounting for inflation as measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, today's $35-40 asking prices translate to $20.70-$23.66 in 1995 dollars.  That's just a bit more than what they would have cost new in 1995.  The $8 shipping cost in 2020 for Priority Mail is equivalent to $4.73 in 1995.  This is pricy relative to the cost of the set, but 2-day delivery is also extremely quick by 1995 standards.  Was the Crater Cruiser worth it?  Heck yes!  After 25 years it's definitely worth it.  

I'd love to get a monorail someday.

The biggest issue with the monorail is that I don't have any space in the house to set it up.  My current collection is already taking up all the shelf and table space I can spare :laugh:  

You got an awesome deal! I do remember buying the Crater Cruiser off the shelves at K-Mart back when it originally came out. It's still the set I have today. I don't have room for the monorail, either. I sadly had to disassemble and put it away after I finished shooting this storyline.

"Mystery Lady"
Date Night (Part 20):