Fenestra

Winter Village Cottage vs Bakery

Hi All! 

The holidays are nearing (I start Christmas season in Early November) and can't wait to start adding and putting out my Winter Village since I got on the band wagon late I am missing a few of the older sets. I have bought some instructions and Brinklinked a few thing (or will be this year anyway), including a church and adding to my train with a couple of new holiday wagons. 

Any way I am trying to slowly get some of the older sets and am debating between the cottage and bakery. What is your favorite and why? I am personally leaning towards the cottage as I like the way it looks better. Any one else have any thoughts?

Hands-down, the Cottage.  The Bakery is a fine little set, but it's less than half the piece count and it definitely shows in the overall build and details.  If you can get a good deal on the Bakery you should grab it to help fill out the village, but if you're only picking one it's got to be the Cottage.

It just feels so much more substantial, and it's a much more interesting build.  I like the overall look of the building better in general, and the details inside are very nice without being nearly as cramped as with the Bakery.  I also think the side builds are quite a bit nicer.  The wood shed is nothing spectacular, but it does add a little more interest, but the truck and sled are both lovely.  And that igloo with the stove inside is delightful!  :sweet:

I think the Cottage may be my favorite WV set in the whole series thus far.

I like them both; true, the cottage is a bit out of scale, but its design fits in perfectly.
We did change all medium blue parts to tan, since we did not like the blue look too much.

If I was forced to pick one, it would be the bakery. Just.

OK, I will agree that for overall scale, the Cottage is oversized compared to the rest of the line.  I just happen to be of the opinion that the other buildings are all a bit too small in the first place.  :laugh:

Just now, deraven said:

OK, I will agree that for overall scale, the Cottage is oversized compared to the rest of the line.  I just happen to be of the opinion that the other buildings are all a bit too small in the first place.  :laugh:

Does such a concept as "too big" actually exist, in LEGO? :grin:

20 hours ago, Withacee said:

Does such a concept as "too big" actually exist, in LEGO? :grin:

I'm game to find out... :wink:

But really, even at the smaller sizes I think most of the other builds are OK, especially considering the theme and holiday display usage, etc., but they can easily go too small.  I think too small is worse that a bit too big.  Like the Winter Village Market.  The scaled-down carousel is a nice model, but doesn't really stand up on its own, and then all the rest of the builds are pretty anemic.  Same with the Winter Village Station.  Great to get a train station, and the bus is awesome, but the station itself which should be the star is just too skimpy.  They should have added 200 parts to the model and made it more substantial and it would have made it more than worth and extra $10ish at retail, IMHO.

Looking over the last several sets it feels like they're trying to stick to a budget at the expense of making outstanding sets and so they come out just "good."  I'd still rather that then it balloon into another range of modular buildings (though that wouldn't be so bad :sweet:), but a few dollars more here and there as the set requires seems like it'd make a big difference.

Depends. If you have the other shops I would go with Bakery, as it finishes off the street. Otherwise, the Cottage is fantastic build & just a great Christmas feel to it. 

Edited by Vindicare

I like th Bakery better, size wise it fits into the village better. The cottage got banished from my village, just too large!

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

I'd vote bakery due to the size - it fits in better, and I love the little cart. You could bricklink a small cottage equivalent more easily  - or a ski lodge or mountain hut. Not keen on the igloo. 

The sets I don't have are the market/carousel which is too expensive now for me to justify and besides I only really like the carousel, and the station, which I am still holding out on due to the exploitative UK price. 

I am mainly looking to sort out the base plates, lighting and landscaping this year - this is the year I need to learn how to do proper snow effect. I am currently sourcing large white base plates.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts - I ended up getting the cottage and then went all crazy and got the Bakery and the Post Office! I am working on my winter layout and I think this will be the final year at my current size as its getting over crowded. I still have a few things that I brinklinked this year to add as well! I will do pics when posted!

I've also decides to display it year round on a bookcase next to the modulars (different bookcase). I love it too much to pack it up each year and I don't really have room for a super permanent display but they will be fine on a Ikea Billy!

Thanks everyone!