Kristof

[LDD][MOC] The Tough Barge

Hello,

Very shortly I thought you might want to check out this virtual build I made for an entry to recent rebrick contest called Freighter Wars. I did not have much time to spend on this and I admitt humbly that the internal structure could use more than just slight improvements. Since I am actually really happy with how it turned out, I may end up re-visiting this and improving its guts to meet my good standards :)

37582192086_9069505a85_z.jpg

You can click on the picture and browse couple more images in my Flickr gallery. If from whatever reason you want to browse the images less conveniently and maybe give me a warm heart like, visit my entry HERE. :D

Thanks to Eurobricks member Umbra-Manis for couple of these renders (the fancier three of total five, I am sure you can tell) whcih he made for me in the night, literally couple hours before the contest deadline. Kudos!

The design inspired by this badass model built a good decade ago by Mark Kelso, one of the members of my personal hall of awe. The idea is that this Tough Barge (for a lack of better name ideas) was built from a wrecks of Correllian YT-1300 Light Freig... ah scrap it - Millennium Falcon, and another correllian ship. Few welds here and there and this is the result.

Hope you like it... nothing to fancy, but I hope not to bad either :D

Edited by krisandkris12

Damn! I silently followed most of the freighter designs from other people on this forum, and while some of them were interesting takes on the flying pizza we all know and love, this one definitely takes the cake!

It looks like the trusty falcon merged with a cargo container that was docked between the mandibles. The parts/influences of the falcon are definitely, but they are not predominant (like many of the other designs), this one truly has its own character!

The containers attached to the belly are another great touch, adding color and visual interest similar to the GR75 rebel transport ship.

The only thing that I personally think could use a bit more polish is to make the horizontal transition from the end of the mandibles to the front part of the ship less sharp in terms of the angle. 

^^ Thanks my friend! You win extra points for that comment about cargo containers inbetween the mandibles - this has in fact initiated this whole build and inspired me to do this mixup. I'm pleasantly surprised that you could decipher that :D

I agree that these mandibles stick out proud maybe to much - I have actually considered blending them in more, but then I went with this option as I really tried to incorporate some realism in terms of 'how it could actually be in universe' into this build, hence I imagined that they would actually "slide" the front portion of the ship  inbetween the mandibles :) But as you say, maybe a bit pricy tradeoff for having a smidge more believable, yet still completely fabricated story :D

Fantastic build! Like BigEl said, the containers are a fantastic addition; I would have entered the contest myself if I realized the prize was the UCS Falcon!

Wow, this is a really nice freighter! Reminds me of the GR-75, with the containers on the bottom! Fantastic work! And good luck with the contest! ;)

Is it okay if I make a mini model of this to go with my rebel fleet? It would be awesome! Thanks!

^ Thanks! Feel free to go, I would like to see how you miniaturize it :D You may credit me if you think it's due, yet I don't necessarily enforce it ;)

Just finished up the final touches, but I have it:

cargo_freighter_with_x-wings.png

Back:

cargo_freighter_back.png

Hope you like it!