It looks like the LDraw official parts library doesn't contain any of the Mixels-type parts that contain a towball socket (e.g. 14418, 14419, 14704) even though unofficial parts have been in there for close to 4 years now.  Has anyone done any MOCs in LDraw using these unofficial parts?  Any problems?

I ask because the one time I tried installing unofficial parts I somehow messed up my parts library so badly that I had to reinstall LDraw entirely, so I am wary.

Also, looking at the review comments for the unofficial parts, it looks like the part editors reeeally hate these sockets for some reason.  Anyone know why that might be?  These parts are dead useful.

Actually, the three parts are all waiting for the Admin Certification, can check in the LDraw Forum, respectivley, @Philo do you know a reason why they haven't been in a part release till now.

There was some discussion that slowed down their certification. Most probably they will be in the next release, hopefully at the end of this year.

On 25/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, fastlindyrick said:

it looks like the part editors reeeally hate these sockets for some reason

No, we don't hate them ;) Just try to make them right...

On 25/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, fastlindyrick said:

I somehow messed up my parts library so badly that I had to reinstall LDraw entirely, so I am wary.

Though it is not the recommended way of doing things, there is a very simple solution: download all unofficial parts from http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ and unzip them over the matching folders.

10 hours ago, Philo said:

Though it is not the recommended way of doing things, there is a very simple solution: download all unofficial parts from http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ and unzip them over the matching folders.

Thanks, Philo!  I had tried installing a few unofficial parts one at a time but managed to screw up my parts folder badly enough to have to reinstall.  I'll try the mass install and if that doesn't work, I can wait for the next release.  Thank you (and the other volunteers) for keeping LDraw running!