Murdoch17

4-10-4 Rainhill type steam locomotive "Red Devil" 7597

The 4-10-4 (four leading, ten driving, four trailing) "Rainhill" wheel arrangement was so named after the Rainhill Trials of October 1829 in Rainhill, England of which the famous Rocket was the only entrant to complete the Trials. The Rainhill type was designed in 1927 and built in early 1928, though it was originally called the "Gigantic" type, but the planned Centenary of Steam celebration sealed the deal on the naming of the type. (Unfortunately, the plans for the potential celebration were postponed in July 1928 and finally cancelled one day before the Stock Market Crash of 1929.)

24074667998_a1671fc937_z.jpg

The steam locomotive prototype of the 4-10-4 Rainhill type was painted a red and gray color-scheme with a black box on the tender and was sold by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1928 to Brick Railway Systems, but due to teething troubles was nicknamed the Red Devil. The engine worked the trans-continental route on the "Spirit of the West" passenger train from New York to Los Angeles, with the Red Devil or one of it's type worked the portion west from St. Louis to Las Vegas. The original engine (Red Devil number 7597) worked this route from 1930 until being bumped to freight duties in early 1958. The engine then worked freights in diminishing numbers until being sidelined in 1966. The Red Devil was pulled out of the mothballs in 1973 for potential use on the 1976 American Bicentennial train but politics intervened and Texas and Pacific 2-10-4 number 610 got the job instead. After that, the engine's future looked bleak until the "Save the Red Devil" Committee was formed which raised enough money to restore the engine to working order by 1978 and has kept the engine in working order ever since until the Red Devil Incorporated moniker.

24074668858_40877ae89f_z.jpg

The 28-stud-long tender should say "Brick Railways Systems" in printed 1 x 1 tiles on both left and right sides, while the cab should have 7957 in the same style of 1 x 1 tiles.

24074669468_23b0543c69.jpg

The cab of the locomotive should have this print on the 2 x 2 slope brick.

In reality, there was no 4-10-4 type of steam locomotive. It was strangely skipped over in the age of steam... none of this wheel arrangement were ever built. The name Devil was chosen because the 4-14-4 type of Soviet Russia was the closest analogy to my loco... except mine works fine, while the Russian one never did much as it spread the track, ruined switches and pulled the freight cars' couplings apart due to it's raw power. The second reason for the name is the other Red Devil, a heavily modified South African 4-8-4 engine with a gas producing combustion system and many modern improvements. That engine worked beautifully, but was sadly mothballed in 2003.

Here is the LDD file for the steam loco, if anyone else wants to built it in real bricks like I am planning on doing early next year.

Comments, Questions, Complaints, and Suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's a beast of a locomotive, and such a nice, clean looking design also! :thumbup:

Thanks! I just added a expanded history of the loco and it's type to the main post, I hope you like it.

38563786746_9b24d1f5af_z.jpg

The finding and ordering of parts for the behemoth 4-10-4 steam locomotive named "Red Devil" has begun. I've decided to use 4.5v / 12v era wheels for the tender, as there are no 9v / PF era wheels in red except for the steamer wheels with rubber bands. This will be my longest loco yet, and as such it won't fit in my train shed. (the cowcatcher sticks out by about four studs too much.) Also, the ten red drivers cost about $40 dollars, (OUCH!) but since I have the red 12v train wheels and small flanged loco wheels I think it dragged down the cost a lot to a more reasonable $170 for the remaining parts not seen above.

Any thoughts?

On 24.11.2017 at 6:35 PM, Murdoch17 said:

[...] I've decided to use 4.5v / 12v era wheels for the tender, as there are no 9v / PF era wheels in red except for the steamer wheels with rubber bands. [...]

That's actually not true! The Winter Village train has red wheels in "standard size" for the front Bogie. There's 4 of them in the set. 

13 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

That's actually not true! The Winter Village train has red wheels in "standard size" for the front Bogie. There's 4 of them in the set. 

I don't think these wheels exist in red @McWaffel...

2878c02.jpg

The other wheels involve too much friction.

Also, in other news...

38055449714_a23cebd6c4_z.jpg

The project is almost done, as I just need some final boiler-top parts, the cowcatcher and the 30-some odd letters for the tender! Here we see the engine maneuvering through some tight switch track.

Edited by Murdoch17