CappnRob

Good pieces for a ship's cook and carpenter figure?

Hey, I was wondering what minifig parts ya'll might suggest using for creating a ship's cook and a ship's carpenter minifigure. I'm debating between a cloth skirt or printed legs for an apron, but I can't decide what torso I'd like to use. Anyone have any suggestions of creations of their own they'd like to share for inspiration? Yellows and Fleshies are both ok.

What type of crew are we talking about here? Pirates? Redcoats or bluecoats? Armada? I'd use different parts depending on the nationality of the crew.

Lots of PotC, LotR, and Hobbit torsos would work. And a few CMF parts might be useful too.

I would say a pirate cook doesn't necessarily needs an apron. Why not let some chesthair fall into dinner? :wink: If he is meant to be a bit more "decent", I would look at the blacksmith from the Kingoms-line. He has a brown one, which doesn't shows stains much.:laugh:

8 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

What type of crew are we talking about here? Pirates? Redcoats or bluecoats? Armada? I'd use different parts depending on the nationality of the crew.

Lots of PotC, LotR, and Hobbit torsos would work. And a few CMF parts might be useful too.

Merchant marine and pirates, really, but cooks and carpenters historically weren't military mean and dressed in civilian clothing on even navy warships, so its sort of a one size fits all deal. I'm looking for variety in the end, lol.

8 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I would say a pirate cook doesn't necessarily needs an apron. Why not let some chesthair fall into dinner? :wink: If he is meant to be a bit more "decent", I would look at the blacksmith from the Kingoms-line. He has a brown one, which doesn't shows stains much.:laugh:

I've been considering the Kingdoms blacksmiths, yeah! Pirates lack of civilian figures means always falling back on old Castle to fill in the gaps :P

Well, My default pick for a ship's cook is the "Cookie" Figure from The 2015 Brick Bounty Pirate ship set; Apron with fishbone and hairy chest. But the model, from personal experience, costs upwards of $150 and counting, so I'd recommend as a possible alternative, a standard pirate Figure, equipped with a Meat Cleaver (From the Series 6 Butcher Minifigure or the Sushi guy from the series 20 Ninjago Movie minifigures) and a Paper hat (also from the Series 6 Butcher) Or any Chef's Hat for that matter.

A second optional accessory would be the Steak Accessory from the series 6 butcher, or a chicken leg.

Also, personal preference, give the cook a hook hand. He lost it in a Meat-cleaver related accident.

18 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

Merchant marine and pirates, really, but cooks and carpenters historically weren't military mean and dressed in civilian clothing on even navy warships, so its sort of a one size fits all deal. I'm looking for variety in the end, lol.

Here's a land-based carpenter with a LotR/Hobbit torso that I recently put together that could easily double as a ship's carpenter:

j9lif6.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, CappnRob said:

I've been considering the Kingdoms blacksmiths, yeah! Pirates lack of civilian figures means always falling back on old Castle to fill in the gaps :P

Castle has also have had a lack of civilians....

And I was just thinking about this same matter, I think I can predict the future!

On 10/26/2017 at 2:46 AM, Jevil said:

Well, My default pick for a ship's cook is the "Cookie" Figure from The 2015 Brick Bounty Pirate ship set; Apron with fishbone and hairy chest. ... as a possible alternative, a standard pirate Figure, equipped with a Meat Cleaver (From the Series 6 Butcher Minifigure or the Sushi guy from the series 20 Ninjago Movie minifigures) and a Paper hat (also from the Series 6 Butcher) Or any Chef's Hat for that matter.

A second optional accessory would be the Steak Accessory from the series 6 butcher, or a chicken leg.

Also, personal preference, give the cook a hook hand. He lost it in a Meat-cleaver related accident.

Exactly that!

Hmm....

On 10/25/2017 at 6:46 PM, Jevil said:

Well, My default pick for a ship's cook is the "Cookie" Figure from The 2015 Brick Bounty Pirate ship set; Apron with fishbone and hairy chest. But the model, from personal experience, costs upwards of $150 and counting, so I'd recommend as a possible alternative, a standard pirate Figure, equipped with a Meat Cleaver (From the Series 6 Butcher Minifigure or the Sushi guy from the series 20 Ninjago Movie minifigures) and a Paper hat (also from the Series 6 Butcher) Or any Chef's Hat for that matter.

This Cookie figure has pants that have appeared in 4 sets, most of them huge and/or rare. However, they can be found on a TLM figure that sells for around $2.65 on Bricklink. Just FYI