Space_jaco

[MOC] [LDD] BB-9E

Hello

I am new to this forum and I thought I would share with you this LDD MOC of BB-9.
This is based on the BB8 "UCS" 75187 for the main body where i changed the colors. I have also updated slightly the Technic inside of the body to remove the torch mechanism. I kept the mechanism to rotate the head as well as making it wobbling.

The main change from the 75187 lego set is the head where BB9's head is more conic than spheric. to achieve that I have used some assembly technics seen on the Saturn V set.

Part count: 951

So here are a few pictures and I would be glad to hear your feedback.

Thanks

bb9.JPG

bb9_exploded.JPG

Edited by Space_jaco

Ooh, nice! I really like how you've done the head, cones are difficult in Lego.  

I'd perhaps add in a display stand, I know that the BB-8 model can sit quite well on its own base but it can roll quite easily... a stand gives a nice bit of reassurance that it won't just roll off the shelf...

Not bad, but I feel the head is a tad too tall. But I realize it's hard to replicate the actual shape as I see it's fully coned...

9 minutes ago, brobert said:

Not bad, but I feel the head is a tad too tall. But I realize it's hard to replicate the actual shape as I see it's fully coned...

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I also think that the head is slightly to tall when I look at picture of the actual BB9.
I have been trying to reduce it by removing the lower cylindrical part of the head but so far I haven't manage to do so.

14 hours ago, NathanR said:

Ooh, nice! I really like how you've done the head, cones are difficult in Lego.  

I'd perhaps add in a display stand, I know that the BB-8 model can sit quite well on its own base but it can roll quite easily... a stand gives a nice bit of reassurance that it won't just roll off the shelf...

Thanks a lot. I have added the same stand as BB8.

1 hour ago, brobert said:

I have updated the head, it seems closer to the actual model now.

37923971191_15bc681074_z.jpg

Hi. This is a great model. I really want to build it to go with my BB-8 and was wondering if there was anywhere to get access to the build. I am confident dent enough to do the body, but the head I would need help with. Many thanks

Edited by Downhillsheep

Hello and thank you!

I am kind of new on Eurobricks too so no idea how to add an LDD file in the forum... maybe someone can help me out?

In the meantime, here are a few pictures of the BB-9E built and its companion :-)

_20171127_201233

_20171127_201525

_20171127_201641

Edited by Space_jaco

9 hours ago, Space_jaco said:

Hello and thank you!

I am kind of new on Eurobricks too so no idea how to add an LDD file in the forum... maybe someone can help me out?

In the meantime, here are a few pictures of the BB-9E built and its companion :-)

I've only managed to do it by having the file hosted on a different site, like moc pages or my personal site and then adding the link to here like this (highlighting the text you want to use as the link and just using the link button at the top of the editor when posting).

Any update on that lxf file?
I've been trying to wrap my head around how you built the droid's head for a week now and can't quite figure out exactly how you did it :P

Really nice design. What is the best design software pour Mocs? LDD or stud.io?

Hello. Sorry I haven't looked at it yet and away on holiday at the moment so will look at it beginning of January. Maybe I can PM  you the model. 

I used Ldd for my moc. Don't know about stud.io

5 hours ago, ShadowBunny13 said:

Any update on that lxf file?
I've been trying to wrap my head around how you built the droid's head for a week now and can't quite figure out exactly how you did it :P

On 27/11/2017 at 2:03 PM, Downhillsheep said:

Hi. This is a great model. I really want to build it to go with my BB-8 and was wondering if there was anywhere to get access to the build. I am confident dent enough to do the body, but the head I would need help with. Many thanks

HI again 

I found this lxf file on my phone. I have put it on my Dropbox. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igdcv2x6xttdy8f/BB-9.lxf?dl=0

Let me know if that works. I don't know if it is exactly the latest model but the idea of the head must be there. However when building with real bricks I realised that it wasn't really sturdy so I reinforced it live :-) 

8 hours ago, Space_jaco said:

HI again 

I found this lxf file on my phone. I have put it on my Dropbox. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igdcv2x6xttdy8f/BB-9.lxf?dl=0

Let me know if that works. I don't know if it is exactly the latest model but the idea of the head must be there. However when building with real bricks I realised that it wasn't really sturdy so I reinforced it live :-) 

Thank you! the file works and it helped a ton!

totally new to ldd. Also questioning does ldd utilize the .lxf file format? Thanks for any help

Edited by Deadwolf5150

First of all, I wan to thank Space_jaco for his design. It's awesome.

I have bought all pieces and built it. It looks awesome next to my BB-8
While building it, I had some problems. For example, with the mechanism to make the head spin. I have added extra pieces to make it more stable. 
I thought I would share the changes (Note: I put a penguin figure because sw855 is still not available in LDD):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/daplsu4r5lmc4fk/BB-9_Final.lxf?dl=0

Also, I thought we needed the UCS sticker for BB-9E, so I tried doing one myself. My photoshop skills aren't good at all. I've included also the PSD file in case you want to modify it yourself :-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrsn7piue5uklfh/BB-9E UCS Sticker.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4m30f1bdc3htl9/BB-9E UCS Sticker.psd?dl=0

28 minutes ago, gololo said:

First of all, I wan to thank Space_jaco for his design. It's awesome.

I have bought all pieces and built it. It looks awesome next to my BB-8
While building it, I had some problems. For example, with the mechanism to make the head spin. I have added extra pieces to make it more stable. 
I thought I would share the changes (Note: I put a penguin figure because sw855 is still not available in LDD):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/daplsu4r5lmc4fk/BB-9_Final.lxf?dl=0

Also, I thought we needed the UCS sticker for BB-9E, so I tried doing one myself. My photoshop skills aren't good at all. I've included also the PSD file in case you want to modify it yourself :-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrsn7piue5uklfh/BB-9E UCS Sticker.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4m30f1bdc3htl9/BB-9E UCS Sticker.psd?dl=0

Thanks a lot. And the sticker looks great! 

Hi everybody,

Would it be possible to have a PDF version of the .xlf file?

Because my computer doesn't support .xlf files :(

Many thanks for your big help!

12 hours ago, Deusboy said:

Hi everybody,

Would it be possible to have a PDF version of the .xlf file?

Because my computer doesn't support .xlf files :(

Many thanks for your big help!

Well xlf file is to be opened on a Lego software like LDD or stud.io from bricklink. I do not have pdf instructions of this build. Not even sure I still have the .lxf anymore actually...

Edited by Space_jaco

On 11/28/2017 at 3:34 AM, Space_jaco said:

Hello and thank you!

_20171127_201233

_20171127_201525

_20171127_201641

I try to build like yours,
but I'm having difficulties to build the head.
please help, thank you.

@Space_jaco

@Space_jaco 114674683_10221562116540865_632311135215662438_o.thumb.jpg.b55b5d3fd309a159561f050a4e84e7fc.jpg

Edited by jeremybenedictus

Ive tried to import the lxf files into Bricklink and they error out...any ideas?