Hey, Eurobricks!

It’s been a long time. And for me it’s been a really tough time.

Actually I’ve been suffering from anxiety disorder and OCD for a long time.

It seems I can just handle it and not let it affect my life (which I did also for a long time) but things got out of control in the past few months.

It’s the darkest time in my life and basically I lost interest in doing anything. God knows what I’ve been through.

Luckily I got my family with me all the time. More importantly I didn’t do anything bad & stupid to myself.

It is still a recovery process for me, but I think I’m well enough to pick up some unfinished LEGO projects, something I love to do, and something that will make me feel better.

So today, I’m bringing you one of those projects - a LEGO version of the SHERP ATV.

37845262722_667f66ba1e_b.jpg

Parts count: 1374 pcs

Weight: 1420 g

Dimensions (Length x Width x Height): 232 mm x 195 mm x 178 mm / 9.13 in. x 7.68 in. x 7 in.

24023838028_d261a3a542_b.jpg

Exterior

I like this kind of compact vehicle, especially with massive tires. While building this model, I have a single goal for the exterior: full enclosure.

37827893906_7f3f371a7e_b.jpg

24023790938_25964495e9_b.jpg

24023783948_ef301b9cc5_b.jpg

It all started with the mudguard.

I tried to use Technic parts to build the middle section but it’s nearly impossible to recreate the curves with no gaps. So sloped bricks become the best choice.

To compensate a little bit on the extra “unnecessary” weight, the enclosure is also used as part of the gear housing.

Drivetrain

Instead of putting two identical motors on each side and making it skid-steer drive, I decided to make a drivetrain based on a subtractor.

It made precise steering possible, and can be controlled one-handedly by Sbrick, which something I prefer when I drive the model while holding the camera on the other hand.

This is a prototype:

37827773156_5e82ba2de4_b.jpg

37166305264_dd6ab44bf5_b.jpg

It’s a failed attempt. Knob wheels not only cause unsmooth power transmission, but also take the space of a 5x7 frame, which is supposed to be a sturdy housing for the lower differential.

As a result, the lower diff got damaged from gear slipping after 5 minutes of test drive, the whole model couldn’t move completely.

After several tests, I replace the knob wheels with 16-tooth clutch gears. it only introduces very little frictions and it’s very reliable.

Here is the final version:

24023717078_0319791397_b.jpg

Performance

I made a short video (4K):

More Details

37845234812_01da181a36_b.jpg

37845222482_616e2a9efc_b.jpg

37845229302_cc44760590_b.jpg

37166366914_2f26ddf863_b.jpg

24023830848_ac681b54aa_b.jpg

37827836996_73766f6281_b.jpg

37845192352_fe02c34ef7_b.jpg

Hope you like it.

Feels good to be back :classic:

Edited by KevinMoo

glad you are back and feeling better. I really like making your models. Of course the more you make they are getting better...Thanks!!

Funny I was only thinking about something like this this morning. You've showed me how it should be done this is awesome!

love the looks too!

thanks for sharing your personal story too. And yes, glad you can find some fun again :thumbup:

Great little Sherp you have build! and interesting drivetrain. cool

hope thing will get better for you from now on

This model was in my todolist for a long time, but I guess you are faster than me :classic:

Anyway, you did perfectly, and all I have to do now is waiting for instructions :thumbup:

What an excellent little model. I really enjoy watching the subtractor in action, and the fully enclosed design is very nice for its realism factor.

I’m glad that you are back and feeling better. Keep getting better, I’m sure all of our thoughts are with you.

Russian youtubers promote this real vehicle for the last 2 years. And now LEGO builders army joined to this PR company (hello Avtoros Shaman 8x8:laugh:)

Really cool model. And I would like to build it!

:wub::thumbup:

Take care yourself:classic:

Edited by rm8

Love it! Any hobby can be of help to someone recovering from a difficult time, I know is myself. Look after yourself and keep building!

H

Keep your head up high @KevinMoo! I’m happy you had to confidence to discuss this online. It’s something that is hard to talk about and you’ve explained it in a way I can relate. This is a fantastic creation and I wish you all the best in your future decisions, and keep creating, we live for your designs!! You’re a true artist. Stay true my friend  

Edited by Lox Lego

Thanks guys! Appreciated! 

I would very much like to create instructions for it, but given my current mental condition I’m just not sure if I have the energy to finish this time-consuming project. 

14 hours ago, rm8 said:

Russian youtubers promote this real vehicle for the last 2 years. And now LEGO builders army joined to this PR company (hello Avtoros Shaman 8x8:laugh:)

Really cool model. And I would like to build it!

:wub::thumbup:

Take care yourself:classic:

@rm8 I already have a .lxf file now, even though I have used the “Groups” function in LDD to break the model into smaller sections, it is still not easy to follow even for a skilled LDD user.

If you want to give it a try, I can send you a copy.

The best news is that you feel better! Health is the most important thing in our lives!
Sherp is awesome! Looks tiny with this huge wheels! Drive system is too complex for my understanding :grin:

1 hour ago, KevinMoo said:

Thanks guys! Appreciated! 

I would very much like to create instructions for it, but given my current mental condition I’m just not sure if I have the energy to finish this time-consuming project. 

@rm8 I already have a .lxf file now, even though I have used the “Groups” function in LDD to break the model into smaller sections, it is still not easy to follow even for a skilled LDD user.

If you want to give it a try, I can send you a copy.

LXF is good!

mail in PM

thank you

Edited by rm8

It is very cool!

The model looks so satisfyingly perfect!

This is definitely on my to build list :)

LDD is my main building program.

At the early phase of designing a new model, I didn’t consider too much about actual building. When the prototype is about to finish, I break it into groups from the exterior all the way down to the core, so I can build it with actual parts in the reverse order.

This is also the time for further refinement and optimizing building experience. Because some connections is possible in programs but impossible to build in real life.

This model has a compact bodywork, and I mainly focused on functionalities, didn’t spend to much time on optimizing building experience.

So even I make a detailed instructions like I always do, it still won’t be a easy model to build. :sceptic:

It's a brave thing to be this open about tough times :thumbup:. I hope the future is bright for you. The Sherp looks awesome! The drive train with all these clutch gears is not very elegant, but apparently it was your best option - with the least friction - given the space you had.

Edited by Didumos69

I don't know what a Sherp ATV is, but this MOC Looks great! Awesome work!!  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

I remember a few months ago when the Sherp blew up the internet. I'm happy you made a great rendition of this fun vehicle. I'm a sucker for orange as well. The MOC looks great.

We are excited again for your LEGO contribution, but do what you need to stay healthy. Glad you are well now, and I hope you have the support needed for the future.

Excellent MOC and photography again, good to see You back! :thumbup:

LEGO is a very good way to get rid of all the outer (and inner) world for a while, it helped me too to let go some stressfull life situation. Keep on building, and keep being active! :classic: