Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-FB] Poppy Plantation

Type: Small Plantation

It was a slightly cooler, but not really because it was still hot, day in Mesabi Landing. A new building had been erected, a plantation house next to some fields.

37872862471_eb96479b08_z.jpgPoppy Plantation by North White, on Flickr

Outside, existing Poppies were being harvested, while the sandy soil of Argentia was dug up, revealing more rich soil below.

37615513090_ae87c93b8f_z.jpgPoppy Plantation by North White, on Flickr

Inside, Agnes inspected the house. A large drying rack where poppies sat waiting was on the upper floor. Finished product was packaged below.

"...Of course Lady Mezabi, we must keep this area guarded. This stuff is addictive you know." Said Pete Zanzibar. A horticultural expert hired by the WTC

"That's precisely why we're selling it, Mr. Zanzibar. But is this the most effective way? I've heard stories of procuring substances, more efficiently..." Siad Agnes

"If we had the resources, we would make incisions in the fruit, and drain the sap. But alas, we only are capable of drying it, for later use. However, the market for the crop is currently barren. The New World has little to no plantations. So you will make a fortune!" 

Pete opened the chest, revealing three large Poppy husks.

24019976658_573eff8ca5_z.jpgPoppy Plantation by North White, on Flickr

"That's it?" Asked Agnes incredulously

"That is a month's profit. 5 Db for the whole chest. And of course, the chest itself, which has a miniscule cost which you must subtract, because you must import the chest, and get rid of the chest." Said Mr. Zanzibar.

24019976598_88a6d74c28_z.jpgPoppy Plantation by North White, on Flickr

"Load it up. I want this shipped immediately. The Mesabi name is going through some financial struggles, but Mesabi Landing can easily afford paying off the property." Said Agnes. "I want everyone in the new and old world begging for a taste of our 'medicine'"

FIN

Thanks for viewing my latest build. It's been a busy month for me in BoBS. And I think @Phred is going to come yell at me for being in the red on my Mesabi account. :grin: @Bregir, you did transfer that 250, right? Anyways, this will be licensed by Mesabi Landing.

At this point I've realized that Opium isn't the plant of Argentia, but I still want a plantation of it here, because, well, opium addicts. I'm not sure if I can have morphine production, that was 1804, on the tail end of our reference point, but then again, British Opium wars of the 1820s, so maybe.

I'm not sure how accurate drying out Opium poppies is, wikipedia says that they just cut into them, and drain the sap, but I saw this reference photo, and went off of that. Those actually might be pots now that I think about it.

I ordered parts for Agaves for my next plantation. You can see the one I built with existing parts in the Lower left of my first photo. Let me know what you think.

C&C appreciated, as always. 

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Mesabi said:

And I think @Phred is going to come yell at me for being in the red on my Mesabi account.

I won't yell yet.  As long as your not in the red for two or more months you're fine.  Nice title BTW. :pir-laugh:
It's too bad you don't have a financial institution in Corrington that could help you out. :pir-wink:

Are poppy flowers red? I like the plantation. I recommend adding some tiles (or greeble) to the roof for some texture.

10 minutes ago, Phred said:

Are poppy flowers red?

They range from white to red, with some varieties in the pinks and purples. I do not know about the US, but here they are usually associated with fields of red.

Edited by Drunknok

41 minutes ago, Phred said:

I won't yell yet.  As long as your not in the red for two or more months you're fine.  Nice title BTW. :pir-laugh:

Wait... did I just hear that someone's in the red?  Oh-oh-oh... :smug:

Disclaimer: I'm really busy this week, but this might be too good to pass up...

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Oh Kai, please, please do not pass this up!!!!! :pir-laugh: Guy's Uncle hasn't  strung anyone up by the ankles for a while - he must be itching at the prospect!!!!

Mesabi - as discussed previously I like the concept here. I would have liked to have seen more flowers on the plantation however I understand your current limitations. The building itself looks ok, and the walls are somewhat growing on me....

Very nice build! I'm impressed by its size, you should get a ton of poppy at each harvest, have you planned on expanding oversea market? Like find some partners?:grin:

18 hours ago, Phred said:

It's too bad you don't have a financial institution in Corrington that could help you out. :pir-wink:

I'll work hard to not be in the red! I think I'll be fine once the TMCRA comes through. And thank you for the title! Always wanted one of those. :wub:

And, umm... Bank of Corrington won't loan to me anymore to me....

17 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Wait... did I just hear that someone's in the red?  Oh-oh-oh... :smug:

Uh-Oh....

16 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Mesabi - as discussed previously I like the concept here. I would have liked to have seen more flowers on the plantation however I understand your current limitations. The building itself looks ok, and the walls are somewhat growing on me....

Thank you! And yeah, this is pretty much all of my flowers. I'll bricklink a bunch at some point, but for the moment, this is everything.

I didn't mean to establish this as the style for Mesabi Landing. Basically, I scrapped Fort Agavia, and brought the parts to college. I'm glad you like the style, it's grown on me as well.

15 hours ago, Bodi said:

Very nice build! I'm impressed by its size, you should get a ton of poppy at each harvest, have you planned on expanding oversea market? Like find some partners?:grin:

Thank you! The WTC is an organization that makes more enemies, than partners, but I'm sure we could work something out.