Alebricks

Winter Village diorama 2017

Hi all, this year I expanded my collection of winter village sets buying the winter train station and the winter train, so I realized that I had to make a new diorama to integrate them in my diorama. This is the old one:

Now, after a lot of work, I'm happy to present you the new one! I used a lot of pieces building three independent modules to make the structure more resistant and easily transportable. Hope you like it! 

Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017Winter Village Diorama 2017

Beautiful layout! The train really adds a sense of fun and excitement. I love the tunnel.... makes it feel like it's own little world.

Lovely!  The way you've incorporated the "North Pole" is great.  I think I may just do something similar as I had been contemplating a tunnel for the the train myself! :classic: 

I don't know about the carousel right next to the train tracks - seems like an accident waiting to happen - but given how compact the overall layout is while still looking great, I suppose that's an acceptable risk. :laugh:

Looks great.  I remember what you had last year and it inspired me to do some similar things with my village.

So beautiful and cute. Happy colours, wonderfully detailed buildings - I wouldn't mind spending Christmas there.:wink: Very well done! :classic:

I remember your layout from last year too. This new version is just as sweet and pleasing to the eye. Very nicely arranged and detailed. Your photography is excellent too. 

Love this layout - lots of little vignettes of things going on in a busy little village. 

I like how you have built it in sections. Can I ask where you got the large base plates from?

Edited by Jay66

I'm loving this display, I have been threatening to build my own winter village display and this will definitely give me the push I need. 

I especially like the frozen pond, it looks very natural. 

Oh, I love this. Thanks for sharing. I bought the Santa Clause Workshop last year and this year already bought the Winter Train. I expect to also buy Winter Train Station and Winter Toy Store before christmas and plan to put it all under my christmas tree.

I love how you put the Workshop on top of the 'mountain' and how the 'North Pole'-pole comes out really nice. If my collection grows bigger I perhaps also want to make a Diorama including an automated ski-lift (should be possible with the Mindstorms set I have).

On 25 ottobre 2017 at 4:51 PM, Brickolta said:

Oh, I love this. Thanks for sharing. I bought the Santa Clause Workshop last year and this year already bought the Winter Train. I expect to also buy Winter Train Station and Winter Toy Store before christmas and plan to put it all under my christmas tree.

I love how you put the Workshop on top of the 'mountain' and how the 'North Pole'-pole comes out really nice. If my collection grows bigger I perhaps also want to make a Diorama including an automated ski-lift (should be possible with the Mindstorms set I have).

The automated ski-lift is a nice idea! I would have expanded the diorama  but I hadn't had enough space at home and this one already occupies a lot, perhaps next year :)

On 27-10-2017 at 7:56 PM, Alebricks said:

The automated ski-lift is a nice idea! I would have expanded the diorama  but I hadn't had enough space at home and this one already occupies a lot, perhaps next year :)

Haha, yeah it is what I remember from when I was small. You had these winter villages in certain shops with automated ski lifts and so on haha.

No worries, yours is really nice. I'm still far away from this, but only picked up my first winter set last year.

That looks really good - you've managed to integrate all the sets perfectly!! (I'd like to do something similar with my WV collection but lack the space!!)

Nice work!!

Yeah, this is really quite a fantastic display!

Question: how did you attach the curved sections of track to your base, or are they just laying on top of the studs? I’ve been trying to figure out how to do it myself but various “ballast” solutions I’ve seen require quite a lot of extra brick and build the track up more that I’d like to.

Thanks!

That looks amazing. Only problem is, it also looks a bit cramped, especially around the carousel. 

Question; are you planning to add the 2017 Christmas vignettes to it? 40262 and 40263?

This is such inspiring! I just made my first orders on BL for white 16x16 plates and other sizes to make my own Winter Village modular diorama based on the 6 sets I own. Also planning to including this nice little gem: 40138 Christmas train.

40138-1.jpg

On 25 ottobre 2017 at 9:42 AM, Jay66 said:

Love this layout - lots of little vignettes of things going on in a busy little village. 

I like how you have built it in sections. Can I ask where you got the large base plates from?

The bases are made up of 48x48 gray baseplates and the others 16x32.

On 3 novembre 2017 at 6:42 PM, hayduke said:

Yeah, this is really quite a fantastic display!

Question: how did you attach the curved sections of track to your base, or are they just laying on top of the studs? I’ve been trying to figure out how to do it myself but various “ballast” solutions I’ve seen require quite a lot of extra brick and build the track up more that I’d like to.

Thanks!

The curved sections are just laying on top of the studs. It would have been too expensive to build a proper base for the entire track :(

On 3 novembre 2017 at 7:26 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

That looks amazing. Only problem is, it also looks a bit cramped, especially around the carousel. 

Question; are you planning to add the 2017 Christmas vignettes to it? 40262 and 40263?

I know, but I I haven't had much space to use and I wanted to put any set of winter willage in my possession together. For the same reason I believe that even though I will buy the Christmas vignettes I will not put them in this diorama. Maybe in the future.

Thank you all!! :)

On 1/9/2018 at 7:25 AM, chosenman said:

Really love this!

Question - did you paint the baseplates white?

He didn't - he used 48x48 gray baseplates and built up with white bricks around.

I was able to get two boxes of 8x16 white bricks from LEGO education, but I used one for Hoth scene and you can't get them like that anymore.  I really wish TLG would sell boxes of single colors - white, black, gray, etc.

I have a complete train layout for my winter village, but it's all flat and not nearly as interesting as this.  I may want to spend more time on it.   I've never done a proper train layout, I've never fixed the track to baseplates (or regular plates).

I'm thinking along the lines of what Alebricks did (I like the name, BTW, I've always preferred Adult LEGO Enthusiast over AFOL), starting with baseplates as a foundation, but building up the "ground" first.  I'm thinking more than one level, though, and I'm thinking of doing this as a standard for everything I build in the future.  It makes it easy to add a "valley," rivers, shoreline, etc., in the future.

It's a beautiful build, Alebricks, congratulations.

Still in love with this diorama! So much that it inspired me in 2019 to build pretty much the same (with some extensions). I just wrote a small story about it here.